Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the shelter today and fell madly in love with a yellow lab named Woody. He's a BIG BOY - Milly is 65.5 lbs, and this guy was much thicker and much taller, so I'd say about 90-100 lbs. He's sweet as can be, high energy, but SMART. I took him on the walk and corrected him once when he pulled and then he healed the rest of the walk. He sits, knows down, and can shake. I sat on the ground with him and he laid down and totally relaxed. I don't know about his retrieving skills, or how he is with guns (many in this area are turned in if they are gun shy).

We got copies of all of his info for my brother, who fingers crossed will want him, because I can't get this guy out of my mind. He's in a high kill shelter to boot. :(

I am going to look for any lab rescues in NOVA to see if they'd take him (I could transport on Saturday and foster). You know that feeling when you just know one is special? I don't have that feeling often, but this is one animal I have that feeling about.

Of course, if I wasn't planning on getting a show dog as my next dog I would have adopted him today. I'm thinking of ways to make this work, and hopefully a friend or family member will adopt him. I'm smitten.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
"You know that feeling when you just know one is special?"

When you feel that way - it is true. You two have connected.

Labs and puppies get along great!
Honestly, I hope you find him a good home if you can't take him. He does sound like a wonderful boy.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Milly's Mom

Milly's Mom

I think you should go get this beautiful Yellow Lab.
Probably all of the Lab Rescues are full.
What shelter is he in and Where?

Just my opinion, but why do you want a Show Dog? Don't take this wrong.

You can always get a Golden Ret. too.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I say that this guy was meant to be yours. He sounds like a wonderful guy. Go get him and bring him home for your little Milly to have a buddy.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
i think you found a sole-mate.Go for it.You still can have a puppy.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Milly's Mom

I think you should go get this beautiful Yellow Lab.
Probably all of the Lab Rescues are full.
What shelter is he in and Where?

Just my opinion, but why do you want a Show Dog? Don't take this wrong.

You can always get a Golden Ret. too.
I need to discuss it with my roommate and boyfriend, but I have a gut feeling this guy will become a part of my life, or at the very least I will pull him and keep him until he has a forever home.

His name is Woody, and I can't get him out of my mind. My brother said he doesn't know if he's ready for a dog (we're a forever home family, except for one pit that showed up at our house and just didn't work out... so it's something to really think about), but he'll think about it and on Friday we will go look at him together. I'll think about it more too for me, and talk to my boyfriend (three dogs in our future might be a bit much until we buy a home). I've contacted some rescues in the DC area (since I could transport) and hopefully one of them will take him. The shelter said he is more likely to be adopted than their mutts and hounds, but there are just so many dogs there. Everyone at this shelter is soooooo nice, and truly loves what they do. They do everything they can to save the dogs and transport them whenever possible, so that is good, but there are just too many for them to all live. He's located in Camden, SC at the Walter Crowe Animal Shelter. I'm going back on Friday for sure, and possibly tomorrow. I'm going to talk to them more about the possibility of fostering and transporting him to an urban area like DC where he's more likely to get adopted... there sure are a lot of labs in Camden - I counted three at the shelter.

I grew up showing horses, and while I'm not at a place in my life to have this anymore, I really miss having the partnership with an animal. I miss the grooming. I miss the training for that two minutes in the ring. I might be crazy, but I even miss the subjective judging where if you step up to the plate, and hope the politics are not involved you can succeed. Since getting Milly, and especially over the past year, I have spent a lot of my time researching everything I can about Golden Retrievers. I've really fallen in love with the breed, and come to appreciate it. I really believe in striving for perfection with Goldens, and that perfection in any breed would be applicable to the breed standard. The breed standard exists for a reason, and in a way I want to support and celebrate the amazing dogs that are Goldens. Milly is a rescue, and she's perfect. I wouldn't change her, her worn down bottom teeth, her slightly strange gait when excited, or her blemishes for anything - I would however trade her allergies, hot spots, and frequent ear infections if given the choice... haha. So in short, that is why I want a show dog. Do I think I'll ever run beside a dog I own at Westminster? No. Would I love to handle a dog I own and take as many conformation and obedience classes as possible? Absolutely. Do I think I'll send my future show dog off with a handler I trust at some point. You betchya! And yes, I'm fully prepared for all that can go wrong between purchasing a puppy with show potential and making it to the ring, but if that is the case then I'll have a beautiful and super well trained pet who will be spoiled rotten, and there will always be another litter, and another puppy to purchase. I really want to find a mentor (and there have been so many kind people on this forum who have given me sooooo much advise) and go from there. There's just so much to learn, and I'm loving what I've learned thus far.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Milly's Mom

Milly's Mom

Understood about the show Golden.

Let us know about Woody.

Do you belong to the Lab Forum? If not you should join and post him there in CROSSPOSTS AND URGENTS TOPIC!
http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/

Did you email the Lab rescues?

Rescue Network Listings Search Again

Lowcountry Labrador Rescue Website:http://lowcountrylabrescue.org
Ms. San Mitchum
SC
Charleston
Email: Send eMail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

South Carolina
Ms. Jeanie Gasque
SC
803-531-5435

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wild Heir Labrador Rescue Website:www.wildheirlabradorrescue.org
Suzanne Fox
1218 N. Fraser St,
Georgetown, SC 29440
(843) 240-0174

Labrador Retrievers - Rescues Links - US

Photo courtesy of
Alma Bottom Photo Gallery
Benevolent Animal Rescue Committee - Dedicated to the placement of Labrador and Golden Retrievers, this Riverside County, California, shelter also houses cats. View the list of available canines.

Brookline Labrador Retriever Rescue - Non-profit, all volunteer Labrador Retriever rescue group based in Roaring Spring, PA, serves many counties in Pennsylvania and a few in New Jersey.

Central Indiana Lab Rescue and Adoption - Read the adoption FAQ or volunteer news, and browse photos and descriptions of available Labrador Retrievers. The group serves Indiana and Illinois.

Desert Labrador Retriever Rescue - Non-profit, all volunteer organization dedicated to finding loving, life-long homes for displaced Labrador Retrievers. Located in Phoenix, Arizona.

Florida Lab Rescue - A volunteer rescue group that finds new homes for rescued Labrador Retrievers in South Florida.

Great Lakes Lab Rescue - Rescue and adoption of misplaced Labs in Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

Kentucky Lab Rescue - A volunteer organization dedicated to finding suitable homes in the Kentucky area for rescued Labrador Retrievers

Lab Rescue, Inc. - A non-profit, all volunteer organization dedicated to saving purebred Labrador Retrievers in Tulsa, Oklahoma and the surrounding areas.

Labrador Education and Rescue Network - Group serving Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin assists in the rescue of unwanted Labrador Retrievers by placing them in homes through fostering or adoption.

Long Island Labrador Retriever Rescue - An all volunteer, non-profit organization dedicated to the Rescue of Labrador Retrievers on Long Island.

Labrador Retrievers - Rescues Links - International
Labrador Rescue South East - Network of rescue groups aims to re-home and care for Labrador Retrievers in the southeast and central areas of England. View listings of dogs looking for good homes.

Labrador Rescue Trust - Team of over 130 works to find new homes for abandoned or homeless Labrador Retrievers, operates in the southwest of England and Wales, and is a registered charity.

Labrador Retrievers - General Information Links

Photo courtesy of
Arcansas Caney Creek Kannel
Bear's Corner Labrador Retrievers - Lots of pictures in many categories of a black Labrador.

Best and Worst Dogs for Security - Ranks breeds for guarding, protection, and watchdog barking.

Big Yellow Dog - Labrador Retriever links and information, interactive features, and online ordering of T-shirts for enthusiasts of Yellow Labrador Retrievers.

Labrador Retriever Dog Breeders - Find classified ads of Labrador Retriever breeders.

Labrador Retriever Information - Contains information for owners, breeders and exhibitors.

Labrador Retrievers - Description, information on care and training, history and more.

The Voice for Dogs - News, abuse cases, puppy mills, kennel and rescue raids, lists of commercial and USDA breeders, canine legislation, and rescue issues.

United Kennel Club Recognized Breeds - Listing includes both well-known and rare breeds.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
If you felt a bond I can only say, I loves me a yellow lab and his name is Finn. Easy, athletic, loyal, somewhat excitable, affectionate and just quite a dog.

You probably will have to take some weight off him though and that is no easy chore with a lab.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Awww, he sounds so special!

I know you want a show Golden, which is awesome. But, if you do fall for this boy, remember you can groom Milly like a show dog ;) And you can get the partnership even more deeply, IMO, doing obedience and so forth until you're able to get a conformation dog. Or do what I would do and get both and do both! Your Labbie could get a PAL (ILP) number and do all kinds of stuff. Just sayin' ;)

·
Registered
680 Posts
there is nothing like having a rescue dog.
Cody is so very special to us, but Livy our new rescue(labx) is such a sweet girl and I had nothing to do with that. I just can not imagine the problems some of these dogs have yet their hearts are always so full of love.
You would never regret taking him in, and if you can have 3 dogs then you can still get your show dog too!

·
But, my name is Debbi
1,715 Posts
I remember before I adopted Maggie (one of my 2 yellow labs), I turned and walked away from her at the shelter. She was just about 10 weeks old. I already had two at home, and feared DH would have a fit if I even mentioned another. However, it nagged at me day & night. I fell in love with her when I saw her. I felt we had this weird connection with each other after just a few moments together. I saw her eyes in my sleep, so sweet yet so sad. I knew she would be PTS in just a couple days if she wasn't adopted. I talked to DH, and told him I couldn't bear the thought of this sweet girl being denied the right to a long, happy life with a family that loved her. He broke & gave in. I called the next day, and told them if she had not been adopted that I would like to have her. They informed me she was scheduled for euth. that morning. I screamed into the phone....... "No, I will be there in less than 15 minutes..... DO NOT put her down!! I want that puppy." I jumped in my truck and took off as fast as I could to get that sweet yellow lab pup. She's been with me for almost 3 years now,...... and I've never regretted a single second. She's absolutely wonderful in every way! My point is, if you've already fell in love with this sweet boy, please don't let the opportunity pass you by. I'm so glad I didn't.

Attachments

·
Registered
776 Posts
we rescued a yellow lab named chance....we gave him a second chance so his name is perfect!!!! i wish you luck with whatever you decide to do....a lab and a golden are great together we wouldn't change a thing....

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Well I won't talk you out of it :p: I love my labs. I love my goldens. I can't imagine a world without both.

I hope that yellow boy finds a good home in you. (I know, no help)

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
yeah, i don't see many of us saying don't do it!

go get him! you know you want to! :)

·
BonnieM
152 Posts
Ok. So. Will you be keeping the name Woody, or changing it? LOL It sounds as if he's in your heart. If you do wind up bringing him home, you two will always have that special connection. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. So. Will you be keeping the name Woody, or changing it? LOL It sounds as if he's in your heart. If you do wind up bringing him home, you two will always have that special connection. Good luck with your decision.
I need to think a lot about this still. I'm giving it until Friday, but right now I can't get this stupid dog out of my mind! I would change the name - I really don't like the name Woody, no offense if that is anyone's dog's name. I thought about Woodford, and that changed to Woofford. I like Woofford. I also like Saba, Paddington and Courderoy. I don't want to give a name before I have the dog, and I just don't know if I can have three dogs... right now I'm thinking. I talked to my dad a lot about it today, and I just can't stop thinking about this dog. My mom thought the blue collar I donated was a sign... she's just as much help as y'all! hahaha. Either way, I'm determined to make sure this dog gets a home. There's just something about him.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Where is he? I'm in NoVA

I went to the shelter today and fell madly in love with a yellow lab named Woody. He's a BIG BOY - Milly is 65.5 lbs, and this guy was much thicker and much taller, so I'd say about 90-100 lbs. He's sweet as can be, high energy, but SMART. I took him on the walk and corrected him once when he pulled and then he healed the rest of the walk. He sits, knows down, and can shake. I sat on the ground with him and he laid down and totally relaxed. I don't know about his retrieving skills, or how he is with guns (many in this area are turned in if they are gun shy).

We got copies of all of his info for my brother, who fingers crossed will want him, because I can't get this guy out of my mind. He's in a high kill shelter to boot. :(

I am going to look for any lab rescues in NOVA to see if they'd take him (I could transport on Saturday and foster). You know that feeling when you just know one is special? I don't have that feeling often, but this is one animal I have that feeling about.

Of course, if I wasn't planning on getting a show dog as my next dog I would have adopted him today. I'm thinking of ways to make this work, and hopefully a friend or family member will adopt him. I'm smitten.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts