Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
It is so funny when you have a group of dog people talking and there is a non-dog person in the group. The non-dog person is usually horrified by the stories, while the dog people can relate and laugh it off.

Like "Did I ever tell you about the time Brady took a steak out of the frying pan? Or how about the time Zeus chewed up my husband's the $200 sunglasses?"

But I have also seen some these people years later changing once a dog comes into their lives.

·
rose
497 Posts
no neither was i until my golden came along and i wouldnt never be without another he accepts me for who i am what i am bares no gruges cuddles me when upset what more can i ask for the only other person in my life that is willing to do that is my daughter so fur and all i love my golden to bits

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
What a great transition you've made~one that we all pray others can make as well. If you can't see the love and devotion in the eyes of our furkids, then ya ain't lookin' hard enough!! Welcome to the Dark Side Luke!!!

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Given all the work they are, human family members are far more trouble than my Penny.

She is my hearts love, sometimes I think it will burst. I vacuum once in a while, pick up poos every so often while she loves me ALL THE TIME, IS AT MY SIDE ALL THE TIME, AND THINKS I'M ALL THAT AND A BAG OF CHIPS.

There have been occasions when I wished I'd never met some of my family members...I've never for one moment wished that about Penny.

Welcome to the world of Golden lovers.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I was always a dog person and had dogs all my life. But it was not til I got Charlie that I've become a bit "obsessed" or so I've been told. I rarely leave my house because I don't want him to be alone. Vacations? no way, I could never leave him. I'm definately not a neat freak so the hair doesn't bother me at all or the water that he spills whenever he takes a drink.... :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
As a follow up to this year and a half old post of mine..

I came to this forum when we first took Marley home for info and support on care, disposition, etc. We still lurk and I suppose for all the info we have gathered we should have given more back to this community but we are back posting if for no other reason to share, for other folks who may not be convinced, our continued love and friendship with this wonderful breed.

This dog somehow knows our moods can tailor her mood accordingly. She knows when the kids are sick and in her own way plays nurse. She listens and listens hard, a product of training we invested in when she was a puppy. Her willingness to please is remarkable. Her hiney always rotates clockwise when she is running down the stairs. She holds my arm when I pet her face gently. Maybe that's enough as it is bordering on weird but we had to share.

Anyway her she is all 2 1/2 years old now in the snow. Thanks for the info on the forums and have a great night.

Hello,

I don't post much, there is so much expertise here so most of the time there really isn't much I can add to the mix.. but there might be some folks out there who can identify with what I'm saying...

The shedding drives me bonkers. She kills my lawn with her pee. She chewed the molding on the kitchen window clear to the glass. Her farts kill..

That said....

My wife grew up with a Golden, I had always loved that dog, she was in her later years when I met my wife. I was not by any means a dog person... shedding, poo, etc did not float my boat but that dog was an absolute friend.

Fast forward some 20 years later, 2 kids, a yard.. Marley is 1 year old Christmas day and I'll ****** if I care about any of the the hangups I had about having a dog, a rather large hairy dog at that. What can beat the uncondtional love my Golden gives me and my family? Her personality is unbelievable, I'm sure I don't have to describe it as ya'll know the breed much better than I ever will.

I am continually amazed by her unconditional love, her instinct to obey our discipline, and her absolute desire to please.

Merry Christmas from Richmond!!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Glad to hear you guys are doing good. Good looking picture and good looking pup you have there

Crazy how they always know what to do when we are done huh?

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Marley is beautiful!! I love her pink nose :)

My boyfriend was the same way as you. He had allergies and asthma growing up so they never really had pets. He probably never thought he'd have pets in his life.. til I moved in with him and pretty much decided we were going to get a puppy. :) Now here we are.. 2 Goldens later... dust bunnies in the corners... countless "horror stories" of things the dogs have destroyed... and every email I get from him while he's deployed right now he asks how the dogs are and says that he misses them. :)

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Marley is gorgeous!
The unconditional love is wonderful. Dogs just don't care how you look, what you've done. They just love you. Ain't it wonderful?
I went "dogless" for about 17 years and then found my first golden when I was fishing at the local pond 8 years ago. He changed my life and I won't ever be dogless again! It is the best feel good medicine there is.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
It is the unconditional love that makes me keep going. I can't get enough of my dogs, unlike any person, when I am down, had a bad day, any of that, they know what I need better than myself.

Not to mention they are forgiving if you unneccesarily get mad at them. They look at you like "who cares, let's hug!". They are my sunshine.

I have had goldens since I was 7, and labs joined my life in my 20's. Don't ask me to leave them behind. It ain't happening.

Welcome to the world of TRULY being a dog person.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I never had a dog in my life, and had been more of a cat person. My wife had dogs when she was younger, and would always tell me how great they were. All I could imagine was how big the dog would be on the bed, how it would shed, need to be walked, and on and on.

Fast forward two years. Patsy is amazing. I cannot imagine not having her, and the way she looks at me when I get home, how she goes to the mail box with me to get the mail, and how I love walking her twice a day for a mile and a half each time. She gives completely unconditional love and makes me want to be a better human and love everyone the way she loves me. To have a dog is the greatest privilege I can imagine and I cannot imagine not loving one or having one in my life!

Now we are contemplating getting another dog, an Irish Setter (that Patsy will pick out). And I have little doubt that there will be another Golden in the future too. I don't think that I can ever know enough dogs.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts