Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He asked to go in the yard and then I went to check on him after a couple minutes and he was gone! The gate must have blown open in the storm last night. Then I hear barking comming from out front so I run to the front door and there is he is - just standing there waiting to be let in! His paw prints did a lap around the front yard though. Anyways, I'm so glad he didn't run into the street.

Actually the same thing happened last year - I let him out on my parents fenced in deck, not knowing there was a piece of the fence missing, and he tunneled through a snow bank and escaped....only to run around to the front door and bark.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
wow, how scary!!!! glad it turned out okay!

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Yeah you've got to check those fences. We had a bear that was knocking down our fence almost every evening to get to an apple tree. He took the fence down like it wasn't even there..so every morning before I'd let my dog out I had to check to make sure the bear was gone and see if he'd knocked down the fence.

For a while we had a doe with a couple of fawns in the yard every morning - they'd just jump over the fence. You just can't be to careful.

Pete

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Thank goodness he just went to the front door. I always check our gate to make sure. Thankfully the lock is one of the slide kind and the handle turns down so you can put a lock on it. And we do keep a lock on it because we have a above ground pool

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I am so glad he was safe!

My son just admitted to me that about 2 months ago he left the gate open when he came home one night. He let the boys out and then went to do litterboxes. When he went back out, he realized that the dogs weren't in the backyard. They were on the front porch. Thank goodness. My son was smart enough to wait a couple of months to tell me, otherwise he would have been in deep doo doo!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Good boy Dodger. That is an awful feeling. I let the boys in the other night and went to unhook Caue from his tie out and it wasn't there. The two of them had been outside for twenty minutes or so. :doh:

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Gate

Thank God, Dodger didn't get away.

We have locks on both of our gates in back.
I always watch Smooch and Snobear when they are out in the backyard. I never walk away to do something else-they are only out there long enough to do their business.

I'm not judging you, I'm only saying this out of EXTREME concern, because I I NEVER WANT you or me, to go through the Heartbreak that Roxie's Parents and Veronica are going through right now, searching for her and praying she is still out there safe and hasn't been hit by a car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts