Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
We've all been in your spot & all grieve for how hard it is to let go of a cherished golden. One way to ease your pain is to think of it as a gift to your sweet angel, given with all the love you've shown through the years. My heart goes out to you & I wish you all the best.

·
Rehoming breeder girls.
44 Posts
It is good that he has recovered.

My Eden we had for 2 years 3 months and one week before I had to be brave for her. We got her just before her 7th birthday. She had a lump on her hind leg the breeder told us was a fatty deposit and not to worry about it. Well that fatty tumor kept a growing and a growing. A biopsy revealed it to be Hemangiosarcoma. Before I put her down the cancer had spread throughout her body.

On July 2nd she would not eat breakfast. I had to give her food three times to get her to eat all of it. Then she perked up and was her normal self. On July 3rd we talked to a vet about putting her down when the time came. July 4th she was ok. July 5th she just followed me around wherever I went. If I stopped she stopped and laid down. I went to all the places she liked to chase rabbits. She didn't. She just looked at me with those sad eyes.

I called the vet and scheduled for us to come in. That day we gave her all those things you don't give a dog. We let her sleep on the bed. Something we never let her do. She stayed close to me all that day.

We brought her to the vet. The vet tech wanted to know why we were putting her down? Eden was happy to see every one and get petted she was her normal self. I told the vet tech to feel her left hind thigh. That was the location of the tumor. After she felt the tumor, she understood.

My wife could not stay while they injected her. I had to stay with her until she was gone. It was not a happy day.

We got Paige on August 10th. She was 7 1/2 years old. Eden lead us to her.

While your dog is well now. Be strong and make the arrangements you know must be made. Then enjoy your dog until you must be strong for him.

Ken

·
Registered
1 Posts
As I write I am crying too. In the last year I've been through this with two wonderful boys, Tom and Jack. I didn't let Tom go soon enough and I know he suffered at the end. I promised myself I'd never repeat that mistake.

Jack suddenly became sick in early April and while I was determined not to fail him by letting him suffer, calling the vet to come to the house on April 30 was one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do.

Often people say, "You'll know when it's time". Partly true, I guess, but the reality is that usually we are faced with a very wrenching decision. While I was deliberating, I did a lot of reading and one thing that struck me, given my experience with Tom, was something like "It's better to let them go one week too early than keep them alive a day too long."

Clearly Storm had a long wonderful life with you. I'm thinking of you both.

·
GR lover
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
We said our goodbyes to Storm today and he went to the Rainbow Bridge with me stroking his face. He was 14 years and 2 months.

We really did luck out with our first dog. Storm was the happiest, most chill, funny, goofy and adorable boy. He picked us at 5 years old and our lives were forever enriched. He was our best boy and we will always remember him. Good bye Storm 💕❤. I take solace that Grandma and her ‘soft item’ (her pet name for Storm) is now reunited for all eternity.

My 14 year old son, Gabe made a beautiful video tribute to Storm. I will treasure it always. I’ll see if I can post it here.Storm grew up with the boys and he was their brother. Gabe and Storm are the same age...why do they only stay for such a short time?

·
Super Moderator
17,135 Posts
I am so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy Storm. I will add his name To The Rainbow Bridge List, run free and rest in peace sweet boy x

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
I am so so sorry for your loss of sweet Storm. Your family clearly loved him and gave him a wonderful life and he gave you unconditional love in return. Your sons tribute is very moving, beautiful. May he Rest In Peace.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,481 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss of Storm.
The video tribute your son made is really beautiful, a wonderful tribute about a very special boy who was loved deeply by his family.

Godspeed Storm

·
GR lover
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I am so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy Storm. I will add his name To The Rainbow Bridge List, run free and rest in peace sweet boy x
Thank you so much!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,135 Posts
You're welcome. I watched your tribute video, it's so lovely, I couldn't watch it earlier as I knew I'd cry...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Your Storm was a great looking Golden. He gave you all the love he could for a very long time. You gave him a great life.....it shows in all his photos in a very sweet tribute. I hope the film of memories Storm made for you brings you some solace in these tough days. It's a great movie....he made it just for you..

Godspeed to Storm

dlm ny country

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. It is very difficult to say goodbye to these cherished family members of ours. I think most of us know what you are going through and my heart aches for you and your family because it just hurts. We had to say goodbye to our boy this past January and it still hurts. Reading your post has made me cry and I can't watch your video because it still hits too close to home. But we feel that way because we love our goldens so much and they add so much to our lives. That makes this all worthwhile. You are in my thoughts and again my condolences. Rest in peace Storm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your story is so familiar to me. We had to say goodbye to our golden, Lucas, just two days ago. He was also 14, the same age as our daughter. We adopted him when he was 2-years old. He was such a gentle giant. It seems that our families were blessed with these amazing beings and the love they showed us has made an indelible mark on our lives. Condolences to you and your family. I feel your grief.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of Storm. The video will make you cry (it made me cry) but someday it will be an incredible treasure that will bring a smile to your face. Wishing you and your family wonderful memories as you go through this difficult time.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm so sorry! I watched your tribute of your beautiful boy, Storm. Watching it reminded me of why it's so hard to say goodbye to one of these amazing creatures. They give us they're all in life. We share so many wonderful experiences and memories with them. When they leave us, we're left with a gaping hole that is so hard to fill, if ever. All we can do is cherish those beautiful memories and move on as best we can.

Lord knows, like you, we too have been through this time in our lives. In fact, we have gone through it more times than we ever wanted. I guess the experience of loss simply comes with having a pet as a member of your family. It's tough seeing them age, their beautiful faces turning grey and their will to stay out in front of the pack slowly but surely diminishing with age and time. Ugh! It's never easy, no never!

All I can tell you is that in time your feelings of such loss will slowly begin to ease. You will be able to talk about Storm without tearing up each time you look at a photo or think of a time when life was good for him and your family. The worst part is over. Let the healing begin. Hugs and prayers for you and your family.

God Bless!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thank you for updating us here and for sharing the video tribute, but so sorry for the hurt you're going through. Gabe did a beautiful job with the video -- tell him well done.

Run free, sweet Storm.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts