Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so used to working with my older dogs. They get spooked a lot easier than Flip does. So when Flip dived into a side table chasing after a treat and I watched glass lamps, picture frames, and candle holders crash to the ground (along with the whole table), my "let's do what we can to make this not so scary" instincts kicked in. I immediately shouted "YAY!!!!" and threw the handful of treats that were in my hand at the spot the table landed.

Now with any of my other dogs, they would have thought, wow, that was scary, but it's okay because I got treats out of it. And the whole experience would have pretty much balanced itself out.

But I forgot that Flip doesn't get spooked by stuff like that. So his only thought seemed to be "wow, when I crash into things treats rain from the sky and mom gets really happy!" So now he keeps trying to crash into things to make treats start raining down again. :doh:

Yes, there is a downside to having a smart, confident dog!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Yup, laughed out loud on that one. Had a similar experience with trying to train Rookie not to eat rocks as a pup. He caught on quickly and was soon picking up rocks, turning his head to me, and waiting for me to tell him to "drop it," confident he would get a treat for dropping it.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
HaHaHaHa! That is so funny. (Note to self...Don't try this with Caue) Caue is my little bulldozer who plows through anything in his path. Oakly has figured out how to walk AROUND fixed objects. :)

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
sorry to admit I laughed too!
I also have one that isn't phased by anything, I suspect he'd do the same as Flip!

·
Playful Pup
95 Posts
Oh, my! Lol! What a funny image.

Flip is obviously really smart. He'll figure out soon enough, though, that crashing into everything doesn't automatically get him treats . . . won't he? Erm . . . although, is he persistent as well as bright? If so, perhaps you did indeed create a monster! :D

·
BonnieM
152 Posts
I'm laughing, too, sorry. I'll have to keep this is mind when Sam does something similar :) Love the name Flip, BTW!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Flip is obviously really smart. He'll figure out soon enough, though, that crashing into everything doesn't automatically get him treats . . . won't he? Erm . . . although, is he persistent as well as bright? If so, perhaps you did indeed create a monster! :D
Yeah, I didn't want him actually knocking anything else down, so I stopped him when he went for the same table, but I let him go at it when he tried it with other furniture. He did eventually figure out no more treats were coming (although I think he kind of enjoyed throwing himself against furniture even if it didn't get him treats)

It was pretty funny, but at the same time a little overwhelming how quickly he picks things up. I've got to make sure I train him right the first time because he learns it so fast!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts