Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

I sometimes wonder about things

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  sammydog 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
like why a judge (from Ohio) felt he needed to remind his agility classes that we needed to be nice to our dogs? And that there were a lot of spectators at the Cluster that needed a positive experience.

I have never noticed a negative atmosphere at agility trials I am at, and a few friends and I were just discussing how even the obedience rings are more friendly and supportive than in years past.

#2 ·
you need to come show in obedience in this area, you wouldn't say that :mad:

#3 ·
This area used to be brutal! People deliberately trying to cause your dog to fail, making loud obnoxious comments outside the ring. blocking your way etc. Those people are gone now - some went to agility where that behavior will get you ostracized and some moved away ! At the shows this weekend everyone was cheering each other on and the top scoring B handlers were smiling and wishing everyone luck - I truly enjoy this atmosphere more LOL And you know, even the dogs look more happy and relaxed

Reactions: Titan1
#10 ·
they all moved HERE....
Seriously, around here you'd better proof your dog for people deliberately rattling potato chip bags etc. right next to the ring, playing with squeaky toys ring side, collapsing crates during the long sits, etc.
Don't get me wrong, there are some wonderful, supportive people. And some not so nice.

This area used to be brutal! People deliberately trying to cause your dog to fail, making loud obnoxious comments outside the ring. blocking your way etc. Those people are gone now - some went to agility where that behavior will get you ostracized and some moved away ! At the shows this weekend everyone was cheering each other on and the top scoring B handlers were smiling and wishing everyone luck - I truly enjoy this atmosphere more LOL And you know, even the dogs look more happy and relaxed

#4 ·
I have seen/heard some not so nice competittors while stewarding for agility in our area! It was NOT the top handlers being nasty either.

#6 ·
I have found our obedience to be a great area to show in. Lots of accomplished people, that are also very helpful, and thankful. I feel fortunate to show in such a great area.

#9 ·
I think it has changed for the better in many, many areas. I hope it has changed in your area as well.

#12 ·
I'm in the South, y'all know we're super polite down here! ;)

But seriously, most obedience exhibitors are very supportive of each other and want to help each other out. There's always going to be a few negative or rude people out there in life no matter where you are or what you are doing, but for the vast majority of people I have run into at trials I think they are great.

#13 ·
Yes, that is how I am experiencing things up North now :) I am once again looking forward to obedience trials - well, except my dogs keep reminding me of areas that could use a tad more work.

I truly was surprised when the judge reminded us to play nicely LOL

#14 ·
There are a lot of judges who have that as part of their standard briefing. I have heard it a lot. Our judge said the same thing this weekend, "be nice to your partners", I have also heard "be nice to your dogs, they did not send in the entry" pretty standard. I have heard handlers get strict warnings on their tone of voice, I have also seen a judge stop a ring to walk over to the practice jump to warn a handler about behavior.

#17 ·
I think people in our area are nice as well, but like anything else there are always exceptions. There are also judges who think a loud no when a dog is running away is unacceptable, so it depends on the judge.

I do think "be nice to your dogs" is pretty standard part of the briefing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.