Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a smelly golden? It takes baths every 2 weeks to keep her smelling half way decent, and keep her from having itchy skin. Are there any supplements that can help with this? I love her to pieces, but if she is even a few days off her bathing schedule she starts to smell like a dead animal mixed with a fish. Not at all pleasent. :uhoh:

·
Mom to Geddy and Sawyer!!
6,059 Posts
What are you feeding her... I truely believe that can make a big difference.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Sounds like the dead fishy smell is from anal glands....do you have any experience with expressing them? Your vet can help with this, if not. It's a nasssty job.
My two get bathed maybe monthly and smell wonderful. Diet can really make a difference, too.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Just like the other two stated.....anal gland and/or food. Talk to your vet about the anal gland. He or she can clean it out. It's gross!!!! And look at the other part of the forum for good suggestions on what to feed.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She had her anal glands done about 3 weeks ago. How often do they usually need to be expressed? She typically gets them done every 3-4 months.

I feed her California Naturals Herring and Sweet Potato kibble, and she gets 1 medalion of Nature's Variety Lamb raw food. She does get fish oil supplements (salmon oil to be exact), EFA supplement, and Cosequin with her food in the AM.

·
Mom to Geddy and Sawyer!!
6,059 Posts
Do you give the Nature's Variety "with" the kibble?

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
My boys eat Nature's Variety Salmon and they don't smell. I also give them yogurt with their food as Selka has a tendency to have smelly gas once in awhile without it.
You don't mean a raunchy gas smell though, or bad breath? You're talking in general?
Mine only get bathed a couple times a year and smell fine.

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
I know what anal gland stink like, but Maggie gets sort of a dirty smell about a month after her bath, kind of an oily/dirty smell. It's not anal's that's for sure. She's always been that way. When I notice it, I make sure to brush her more often and that seems to help, in my mind anyway!

By the way, Maggie could probably use an anal gland expression once a month but I try to stretch it out a bit. Yuck! Hers fill up quickly no matter diet or consistency of her output.

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
Does anyone else have a smelly golden? It takes baths every 2 weeks to keep her smelling half way decent, and keep her from having itchy skin. Are there any supplements that can help with this? I love her to pieces, but if she is even a few days off her bathing schedule she starts to smell like a dead animal mixed with a fish. Not at all pleasent. :uhoh:
Does your doggie scratch at all? Scratching can cause dead skin to get trapped in the fur. Boy, does that ever smell.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The only smell that comes from my goldens is the doogy smell and even that isn't all that strong. My guys only get bathed once a month sometimes longer so really they only get bathed when they really need it. My guys do alot of swimming thats there main exercise. My guys aren't on best of food but the first 2 ingredients are meat and meat by products. I can't afford proplan,hills science diet,Iams etc. My guys are getting supercoat working dog as its in my budget. They also get raw meat daily,raw egg once a week and bones twice a week.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Taz gets batheda few times a year, and does not smell, unless she is wet, then she smells "doggie" but it goes away when she dries. The only thing thatever smells is when her ears get funky, butI've been good about cleaning them weekly lately, so it isn't an issue any more.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would possibly look into changing foods as diet can be a big factor in this. Unfortunately, some dogs just have an odor to them, but they are dogs. We can't expect them to smell like roses. With that being said, Zoe does not really smell much like a dog but I know some goldens that do. Some have skin that tends to be more oily and others do not.

As far as anal glands go...I think you would know if this is what you smell. Personally, I would not have them expressed as the dogs get used to the feeling of having "empty" glands and then it bothers them a lot when they need to be done. My family has had MANY dogs, my mother is a vet and unless they become a problem, her practice simply does not recommend expressing them. Many here will have differing opinions on this.

·
Simon and Jena's Mom
549 Posts
My Simon was on California Natural Fish and Sweet potato and didn't have a smell, except for his breath! I've recently switched him to Calif Natural Lamb and Rice for his coat. Time will tell on this though. I wonder if you are smelling the breath or some other odor? Maybe consult your vet?

·
Registered
249 Posts
My Indy does smell really BAD in the summer and I have found cutting his coat right back is the only cure. The vet gave me Malaseb shampoo, which is anti-fungal and anti -bacterial, to use but the smell comes back within a few days.You also have to leave it on for 30 mins which isn't much fun.
The 1st time I paid a groomer to clip him, his coat was very short (in fact, everyone thought I had a new puppy) but this year I bought some groomers scizzors at Windsor dog show and did it myself.
I found the hair on his back very oily and my hands were very mucky when I had finished. And the fur around his neck so thick it was quite hard work.
But in the end the smell had gone and he always looks much happier after it's done.
I know it sounds scary but it is worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Milly does get the Nature's Variety with the kibble... it's just 1 medallion and it helps her eat her supplements.

The smell isn't anal glands, I don't think. She just smells like smelly dog after 2 weeks, but a strong smell of smelly dog... does that make sense? Obviously, if she gets wet and doesn't get blow dried it is much much worse. The smell is sort of like a dog that goes swimming and then dries in the sun, but it is like this pretty consistently at the end of two weeks.

That's interesting about the itching/scratching causing smell--or, were you talking about anal glands being itched? She does itch her skin some... but, her diet is seeming to combat that--I feel like she's been on every food known to man trying to figure out what works for her. She now finally hardly itches at all (I've noticed an increase in itching if our heater is turned on), but she still does get that smelly dog smell so much quicker than other dogs I've had in the past!

Despite her stinkiness I still love her, and still let her in the bed with me. Well, that last part is only if she isn't SUPER DUPER STINKY!

·
Beau's Mom
435 Posts
Yep, I have a smelly Golden too. He starts to REAlly smell about a week after his bath. He is on Canidae ALS. It is just a general stinky dog smell. He has no allergies or itching. My mom politely tells me "he smells!!" I would rather not give him a bathe every week, but we have to.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
My dogs use to eat the Canidae and never stunk.... They are now on Fromm surf and turf and still fine.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Nope mine only smell if they've gotten dirty/nasty somehow. I DO bathe them a lot normally, but often times a swim in the sea and a rinse is good enough. I'd definitely agree it's food or something else.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts