Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some ideas for sewing things for my dogs.
I love to sew and just got a brand-new sewing machine!!!! and I need some projects, any ideas?

I really want to sew a dog backpack, but I can't find a pattern or instructions, does anyone have a website for instructions/patterns?

Ive already sewn collars ( that you can put herbs in to keep fleas away)
and diapers ( for heat).
thanks!!

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
I am just about done making a pretty neat crate cover for the big wire crate. All 4 sides are flaps, they tie together on the corners. A flap can be lifted/rolled for ventilation.
Just a thought!

·
Dog Lover
42,036 Posts
Great idea!

The crate cover is a great idea?

What about making doggie coats, or doggie booties.

You can also make them for the rescues and shelters near you. call them first and see what they need.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I made mine dog beds and bandanas. The bandanas would be a good project to for shelters and rescues for them to go home when they get adopted.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I just made a whole bunch of bandanas. I gave one to each of the puppies families where I we are getting our puppy, I made a few extra for Dan & his wife that are here on the forum. I made 2 for my puppies parents, I made some to give as auction gifts at my first GR club meeting coming up, & I made several for our new puppy. LOL and I am not domestic. I will post some pics tomorrow. Ours are in my sons room until th epuppy comes & he is sleeping.
I thought about making a small quilt out of the scraps for the puppy. LOL, I must be nesting waiting for the puppy.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Dog beds and/or crate mats! You can also make a dog toy that's a pouch that seals with velcro. Make the pouch the size of an empty water bottle. Insert bottle, close the velcro and voila -- a fun dog toy. Dogs go crazy for the crinkle sound of the bottle in there!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Dog beds and/or crate mats! You can also make a dog toy that's a pouch that seals with velcro. Make the pouch the size of an empty water bottle. Insert bottle, close the velcro and voila -- a fun dog toy. Dogs go crazy for the crinkle sound of the bottle in there!
These make great toys!...I had several of these that I made with a fleece handle. They have disappeared over time...I really need to make some more. Big hit!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I was inspired by this site.. There is a pattern for a purse and a backpack, along with other things. I love the stuffed rice bags as heating pads or ice packs. I buy old jeans at yard sales for a buck a pair..The bigger the better, and make pillows for the dogs. I make simple bone shaped toys and insert squeakers in them, or an empty water bottle. I use old sheets and make pillow case type covers for the dog beds.. Way easier to wash weekly.. the beds won't need washing near as often and last longer. I also sew covers for the collars.. some times theme based. Like at Christmas I got cheap santa hats ( child sized ) took them apart and turned them into bandanas.

http://www.wisebread.com/twenty-five-things-to-do-with-old-jeans

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/sewing/ricehotpack.shtml

1 - 12 of 12 Posts