Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just adopted a Golden Retriever who appears to be about 1-2 years old. I am very excited about this but, I was wondering one thing? Do some Golden's have short hair? It is not long like I thought it would be. His rear end is white as is the bottom of his tail and the fur around his neck is a bit long but not as long as others. If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
My 13 y.o. had little hair and was very sad looking when we got her from the spca. she was around 1 to 1.5 years old and it took a year of good nutrition, and grooming for her to get her feathers and to become the beautiful golden that she is now. so be patient....................... ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hello and welcome!
Do you have a picture of him that you could post? When our Golden - Kia was about a year old, we thought that she'll never have regular Golden coat - but she does now - even though her length might be shorter than other Goldens, (but I have always though it is also individual).

Vierka

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That makes me feel better thank you!! Now can anyone tell me about the constant panting? Is that normal.

I appreciate the help and advice very much!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Mainegirl: What do you feed your baby?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I hate to say it, because I know I'll get a lecture or something............. but my dogs have always gotten Purina dog chow or fit and trim. I guess her nutrition while she was running around the neighboring community was terrible. My schnauzer lived to be 19, my golden is 13 and Knock on wood, no problems and chases and out runs the 7 month old puppy. My poodle lived to be 18. I sometimes wonder about jumping on new bandwagons about diets, human too...........but I made the choice of Purina and I don't try to prosteletize anyone else.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You've got my vote girl! I feed my guys Purina as well. I use the Sensitive Skin and Stomach as Mojo has terrible skin and it seems to work with them. Nice shiny coat and all that. No ear infections either. If you use the Pro Plan Biscuits, though, just go easy on them as they have a few calories in them. I break them into quarters.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you are feeding your dog a good quality dog food from a reputable make he should be OK. I've always found that cod liver oil added to the food helps with a glossy coat and its supposed to help with joint problems as well.:)
I would'nt worry too much about his coat not being very long yet, if he's only1/2 years. Goldens coats dont often get to their full glory till they are over two.
The colour shading is OK too, most seem to be paler on their feathers and underneath.
You dont say where you are, if it very hot then perhaps he wont grow such a thick coat as a dog kept in a cold climate.
What I would do is get him used to regular grooming now, then when his coat is long and he starts to shed, it will be easier for you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts