Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never really used any sort of dryers on either dogs before. I always intended to... but then would chicken out. I did try to get Mojo used to the sound of my hairdryer though, by having him in the bathroom when I would dry my own hair.

Well, Mojo's fur is really coming in now and I figured I NEEDED to start drying him because winter is here.

Here are some before shots:

The bath went well (pretty much the first one since he exploded with adult fur, LOL) and I have to say I used the "diluted shampoo in an empty dish soap bottle" and I LOVED it. I could spot-squirt where I needed it.

I towel dried him best I could.

Then I started drying with the hairdryer.

Some parts dried easier than others... like his back and his tail dried super quick. But other parts seemed to take FOREVER. Like his arms and legs and EARS. Is that normal? Maybe I missed some soap on his arms or something? I don't know but it took almost an hour and a half and I finally gave up. His ears STILL looked sopping wet. His arms were like... patchy. I can't explain it. And then I got him off the table, felt through him and I still felt super wet parts.

Just any tips would be great. lol. Should I have just kept drying longer? His arms and ears and stuff? Does it usually take long for that?

After shots (this was all after an hour and a half):

This is what I meant by patchy. Sorry so bright, it would be super blurry without the flash.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
A people dryer isn't really strong enough to adequately dry a golden's coat in a short amount of time. Finn's ears are like sponges and take hours and hours to dry, even when I use the very powerful dryer at the "do it yourself" dog washing place. Maybe if you really towel dry him well before blow drying, it would go more quickly.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I agree. It takes me awhile to completely dry Tysen's coat (ears are hard) and that's using a strong dryer made for dogs.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Before blow drying, I always towel dry the coat as much as possible. I use 2 towels for this. When the first towel gets soaked, I use the second one. I then spend about 15-20 minutes blow drying on a high warm setting (regular blow dryer) while brushing at the same time. I dry and brush one area at a time. After the 15-20 minutes, the coat is almost completely dry.

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
I have found that it is worth using 3 or 4 towels to really dry them as much as possible before I start using the blow dryer. I finally was able to convince my husband to do this as well when he helps me wash the 3 dogs. It just takes so much longer if you leave them really wet and then try to use the blow dryer.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Considering it takes me 45 minutes to blowdry my thick, just-past-shoulder length hair with a regular blow dryer, I wouldn't be surprised that 1.5 hours didn't do it for Mojo. I wring out Molson's ears/paws and whatever other part of his sponge - I mean coat - I can, and then towel dry Molson until 2 towels are soaked. I let him play for about an hour to let the rest of the 'excess' disappear. Then I spend about an hour or hour and a half to dry him enough that he wouldn't get cold sleeping over the air vents in the house. I usually spend the most time with the blow dryer on his ears, paws, bum fur and armpits, where it takes the longest to dry.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I towel dry before and while I blow dry Bailey. For some reason their water resistant coat doesn't dry well with the hairdryer alone.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Get a dog dryer. I just dried all three of mine AND the GSD puppy in an hour after a long beach swim. I do it every single day.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will definitely try towel drying him more next time, AND I want to invest in a good dog dryer. I haven't tried Max yet, but her fur isn't NEARLY as long or as thick as Mojo's.

Any suggestions on dryers? Preferably more affordable ones? lol

I forgot to add that he is really starting to look like a grown up! How old is he now, about 11 months?
Aww thank you so much!! He's actually only a few days past 7 months!! My little baby is growing up so quickly!! :bawling: lol!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
My breeder said to just use one of those big black vacuums on reverse. He said it puts out enough air to dry the dog. He also said if you decide to use a hair dryer, never put it on a warm setting, always blow cool air.

I just towel dry Flora. ;)

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Aww thank you so much!! He's actually only a few days past 7 months!! My little baby is growing up so quickly!! :bawling: lol!
Wow, I was way off! I knew he was a few months apart from Molson but I thought it was older, not younger - sorry! :doh: So many dogs to keep track of on here :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts