Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Honey Wolves
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We already went to the vet and did prednisone for potential allergies - that helped somewhat but after the course of prednisone what do we do ?

We also used bitter apple spray but that only fights the symptoms not this cause

I am trying to increase her activity levels and do more walks since boredom can contribute to this also -

any suggestions are appreciated

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Does she chew them more if she is bored? Have you changed food lately or has the food you been feeding changed at all? Does the weather have something to with the chewing? Have you changed laundry soap put down new carpet bought her a new bed?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Allergies are frustrating because there are so many causes. As soon as you eliminate one there is another one..... You are correct in wondering what to do after you have finished the course of steroids.

I would work with your vet about a long term plan.

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
Chester has had this problem for a long time. He licks and bites his paws so bad that they get completely red and bleed sometimes. We tried so many things and nothing seemed to work so we finally did the allergy test. I'm so glad we did because it turns out he's allergic to about 25 things. He's very allergic to some of them, and others are almost impossible to avoid. We just started him on his allergy shots. It's only been about two weeks, but I'm hoping we start noticing an improvement. It's just so sad watching him nonstop licking his paws.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
Forget the vet. Go see a dermatologist. Paw licking/chewing is always assumed to be boredom and/or allergies.

Giggles had the same problem, i.e. chewing and licking for years. It took months waiting and a long drive, but we finally got her in to see a doggy dermatologist. Turns out she had some kind of yeast infection on her skin. As I recall, all it took was a special soap we used on her feet along with some kind of cream. Problem went away almost immediately.

I am going from memory here, not always reliable... :) , but I remember this vet/dermatologist (who also specializes in Goldens) suggested testing for yeast prior to the allergy/skin tests. I think all she did was scrape some samples from her paws, and maybe other areas, and checked those samples under a microscope to determine her problem was yeast.

We were happy to have finally found her relief. Unfortunately, she died a couple months later from lymphoma.

Anyway, the problem may not be food/allergy/boredom related.
Just food for thought.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Yeast

That is very interesting what Otter said about testing for yeast. Perhaps, you should have a dermatologist look into that.
How old is your girl?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts