Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Mia since she was 6 weeks old ( now almost 3 months old ) she has been very loving with us but tends to be very pushy with our other dogs. she now has them scared to go potty because she will jump on them and nip at there necks, legs and tails i think she just wants to play but she is bigger then them ( other 2 are a mini schnauzer and a chihuahua) is there anything i can do to get her to stop ? ive started taking her out on a leash and it helps but i would like her to be able to run and play witht he other dogs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
At this stage you need to teach her boundaries... What she can and can't do... That's what her mom and pack would do in the wild... If not addressed she will keep going and you don't want your dog to be the alpha in your house ;) Stay calm when you address it so she doesn't confuse your corrections with excitement and playfulness... Hope this helps! Pups are very spunky and it takes patience to raise a big dog! I would definitely be strict about her limitations with the other dogs tho considering the difference in size when she gets older... You don't want her to think their fair game... Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm being strict with her. she loves the other dogs wants to sleep and play with them but now they dont want to be around her so they move when she lays down. she is already bigger then both of them. i will keep working hard with her and put her in some puppy classes.:)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
They are communicating with her... They're trying to teach her that if she doesn't calm down then they won't pay attention to her... Very natural behavior... Puppy classes will be great! Be sure she has all her rounds of boosters done first, tho :) Biggest thing is the energy you're exuding while correcting her so be sure you're calm and relaxed... You can be assertive without being angry or frustrated :D Sounds like you're doing a good job so keep it up! (and let the other dogs do what they want when it comes to her so they can teach her in dog language what's acceptable!) Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you :) Kissy the chihuahua will put her in her place without a problem and Mia has learned enough is enough or Kissy will get her. Aurora on the other hand is old and just tries to walk away which mia loves and keeps jumping on her. she is up to date on shots :) and is learning but slow..lol

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Ha! Sounds like the first 2 are doing good, but when she pursues Aurora I'd give a quick correction to help her out a little lol... Lookin good!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Went through the same thing with Peyton jumping on other dogs while doing their business. I put her on a leash until everyone was done and she learned to stop.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I had a similar situation when I brought Tucker home. My little spaniel, Tess, has bad hips and I worried about him being too rough with her. She also was NOT interested in playing with him. LOL.

I tried to let them sort it out between them but did finally step in when he started trying to paw her with his large leg/paw, like he does with other dogs when asking to play. His "play pawing" could pretty much knock her across the room! :doh: The way I handled it was by using three steps: I would say "no!" loudly to the first attempt, for the second attempt I would squirt with a bottle and say "no!", and the third attempt got him "no!" with a puppy time out (I blocked him between the wall and a chair and kept him there, with my back turned, for about 1 minute or less). He got the idea pretty quickly.

I hope all this helps. I think the suggestion to keep her on a leash when they're doing their business is an excellent one as well. Good luck! Here's wishing for your peaceable kingdom! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts