Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Monty (12 weeks - born January 29, 2021)
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

I've been looking into the following breeders and was hoping for some recommendations. As far as I can tell, all do the recommended OFA testing, and show most if not all of their dogs. This is my first time going through this process so I'm worried I might have missed something!

I have a mix of kennels and smaller breeders. Ideally I'm most concerned about the temperament and health of the dog, but if it comes down to two breeders that both meet the criteria, availability and in-home raising would take precedent.

What do you think? Do you have experience with any of these kennels?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hello! We have a 2 year old from Kyon; we adore him, and still marvel at how Sean chose the perfect family member for our family.

I don't know much about what makes a good breeder a good breeder; I chose Kyon because I had been lurking on the board and seeing over and over how many people commented on the temperament of their Kyon pups, as well as much commenting about some of their long-lived dogs (their FB page touts dogs reaching their middle teens multiple times a year), and I liked that the entire family was involved with the puppy raising.

I'm very happy with my choice to get a Kyon pup, and would do it again in a heartbeat (please note I traveled from California to Toronto to get Barkley, so I don't say that lightly). He's been a joy, even as a little puppy: easily potty-trained, the land-shark phase was short, he's been biddable, easy to train, and the mellowest 2-year old we know (neighbors have dogs 6 months old and younger that are WILD, but I think that's their environments and poor training, more than poor breeding). WE think he's the perfect dog, just like most other people with Goldens on this board 😁

I don't know anything about the other breeders you mentioned. Good luck with your search! Let us know who you end up choosing!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello! We have a 2 year old from Kyon; we adore him, and still marvel at how Sean chose the perfect family member for our family.

I don't know much about what makes a good breeder a good breeder; I chose Kyon because I had been lurking on the board and seeing over and over how many people commented on the temperament of their Kyon pups, as well as much commenting about some of their long-lived dogs (their FB page touts dogs reaching their middle teens multiple times a year), and I liked that the entire family was involved with the puppy raising.

I'm very happy with my choice to get a Kyon pup, and would do it again in a heartbeat (please note I traveled from California to Toronto to get Barkley, so I don't say that lightly). He's been a joy, even as a little puppy: easily potty-trained, the land-shark phase was short, he's been biddable, easy to train, and the mellowest 2-year old we know (neighbors have dogs 6 months old and younger that are WILD, but I think that's their environments and poor training, more than poor breeding). WE think he's the perfect dog, just like most other people with Goldens on this board 😁

I don't know anything about the other breeders you mentioned. Good luck with your search! Let us know who you end up choosing!
Thank you for your input! I'm overall very impressed with the Kyon website and have seen a lot of recommendations! I might actually send them an email today and see if they are accepting anyone to their waiting list. Last I checked, it was closed.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thank you for your input! I'm overall very impressed with the Kyon website and have seen a lot of recommendations! I might actually send them an email today and see if they are accepting anyone to their waiting list. Last I checked, it was closed.
So many breeders were inundated with puppy requests earlier this year, Kyon included. I don't know if their wait list is open, but it was worth the wait for us 💗

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
Hi there

I can vouch for Luchan Goldens. I have a 3 year old boy from their 2017 Knot/Sky litter. Deb does a wonderful job in raising and socializing her puppies. She takes great care in choosing studs for her girls. I would definitely contact her. I believe she is planning a litter next year.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi, I am a little confused. Jaad has admitted to breeding dogs with mild elbow dysplasia? That is a huge red flag! You never ever breed a dog that has elbow dysplasia even if the other dog has excellent elbows. Breeding fair (passing) to excellent is fine but you never breed a dog with any kind of dysplasia even if it is mild.

·
Registered
13,575 Posts
Hi, I am a little confused. Jaad has admitted to breeding dogs with mild elbow dysplasia? That is a huge red flag! You never ever breed a dog that has elbow dysplasia even if the other dog has excellent elbows. Breeding fair (passing) to excellent is fine but you never breed a dog with any kind of dysplasia even if it is mild.
Agree with this. They should not be breeding any dogs who failed elbows at all.

For any of the above breeders, you would have to do your due diligence. Get the parents' registered names and check their clearances. People here can help if you aren't sure how to do this. Having a good website, or just being friendly and kind isn't enough. (Not saying you are doing this, just making the point that you have to go further).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello!

I've been looking into the following breeders and was hoping for some recommendations. As far as I can tell, all do the recommended OFA testing, and show most if not all of their dogs. This is my first time going through this process so I'm worried I might have missed something!

I have a mix of kennels and smaller breeders. Ideally I'm most concerned about the temperament and health of the dog, but if it comes down to two breeders that both meet the criteria, availability and in-home raising would take precedent.

Just from their websites, I think Brevmac and Kyon are my preferred, but that may be attributed to Braefield and Luchan being more recent finds. Braefield also does not accept new families onto their wait list (they keep a list of returning families) until there are pups on the ground.

Jaad seems to have some mild elbow dysplasia in her stock, though was very open about this when I contacted her and stated that her breeding practice was only to pair those dogs with others that have excellent elbows? That being said, Jaad was extremely helpful with telling me what to look for, and her website is the most informative.

What do you think? Do you have experience with any of these kennels?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Hollyann. I would highly recommend Braefield Kennels in a heartbeat! The wait to get onto their wait list is worth it. I’ve owned a Braefield Golden and been very happy with them. The support they offer is fantastic. You can email Catharine with any question or concern and she is prompt with her reply. The quality of pup is incredible. They have a members website where owners post pics, questions of advice or anything that we would find of interest. I have received so much support from this group when our Golden passed last summer. You will find that the Braefield dogs enjoy longevity. This is where I’ll go for our next Golden! Good luck on your quest !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there! I think all the breeders you've listed are probably lovely as it looks like you've done your research. We have an amazing boy from JAAD who we are over the moon in love with. He is the picture of health, has an amazing temperament and is wicked smart, learns SO fast. The whole process from the time we got on the list, through to the breeding of his mom, him being born, growing up in their home with proven, puppy culture strategies employed and even beyond taking him home has been amazing. Jen and Mike are loving, amazing people who pour their heart and soul into each and every puppy they raise. They drop anything to answer a question or help out with a problem.

Every single breeder has challenges in their lines. Every. Single. One. Elbows/cancer/hips/ichthyosis/temperament/hearts/eyes/structure/etc the list of potential problems in goldens is long. The difference is, some breeders are willing to be open and honest with you about the challenges they face and what they're doing to work to correct them, and some are not. There are many breeders who simply omit "failing" clearance scores from public websites or worse, not do them at all.. I absolutely love that not only does JAAD put everything out there in the most lovely transparent way, but Jen is willing to discuss any concerns that arise in detail, and will fully and honestly answer all questions.

Breeding dogs isn't about breeding perfect dogs to perfect dogs. It's about gathering all the information and data possible and working to continuously improve. I KNOW that JAAD does this.

Best of luck in your search, but I know from experience you'd be awfully lucky to end up with a JAAD golden. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi there! I think all the breeders you've listed are probably lovely as it looks like you've done your research. We have an amazing boy from JAAD who we are over the moon in love with. He is the picture of health, has an amazing temperament and is wicked smart, learns SO fast. The whole process from the time we got on the list, through to the breeding of his mom, him being born, growing up in their home with proven, puppy culture strategies employed and even beyond taking him home has been amazing. Jen and Mike are loving, amazing people who pour their heart and soul into each and every puppy they raise. They drop anything to answer a question or help out with a problem.

Every single breeder has challenges in their lines. Every. Single. One. Elbows/cancer/hips/ichthyosis/temperament/hearts/eyes/structure/etc the list of potential problems in goldens is long. The difference is, some breeders are willing to be open and honest with you about the challenges they face and what they're doing to work to correct them, and some are not. There are many breeders who simply omit "failing" clearance scores from public websites or worse, not do them at all.. I absolutely love that not only does JAAD put everything out there in the most lovely transparent way, but Jen is willing to discuss any concerns that arise in detail, and will fully and honestly answer all questions.

Breeding dogs isn't about breeding perfect dogs to perfect dogs. It's about gathering all the information and data possible and working to continuously improve. I KNOW that JAAD does this.

Best of luck in your search, but I know from experience you'd be awfully lucky to end up with a JAAD golden. ;)
Something I truly appreciate with Jen is how willingly helpful and honest she is - its a huge factor for why I chose to get onto the JAAD waiting list shortly after I originally made this post! Hopefully I will be lucky enough to get a JAAD pup in the near future!

·
Jupiter's mom
Jupiter and Neptune
319 Posts
I have two from Brevmac and I could not be happier with them. Bruce and Ev are lovely people and the puppies were immaculate both for the play date and when we picked him up. Great support, great advice. Just a fantastic experience. They are highly recommended by us.

I can also recommend Braefield. One of Catherine's boys is the father of my younger dog and I've spoken to her at shows a few times - she's lovely.

I haven't had any direct interaction with Kyon, but from what I've seen of their dogs, I would buy one in a second. Can't go wrong with them, either.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm sorry but I have looked on JAAD's website and they are planning on breeding Ariel who has NOT passed elbows! That is entirely unacceptable no matter if they were honest about it. About the previous comments about breeders not bothering to do OFAs, and JAAD being better than those breeders because at least the elbows were posted. I say that knowing breeding a dog with failing elbows is the same as not doing elbows at all. This is not a personal attack on anyone who is associated with JAAD. I am just pointing out that the COE states that both parents must at least pass hips, elbows, eyes, and heart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.