Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I got Golden Retriever for Christmas and everything has been wonderful untill about a month ago when I found out I am pregnant with our second child. Since then I truly have tried not to, but my patients and feeling towards Shelby have changed. She had been doing very well with house training, but since I have been pregnant she is peeing all over the house again. Everytime I walk through my frount door and my house reeks of Pee I get very aggitated and I know alot if it is being pregnant, and hormones, but it still doesn't make it fair to Shelby. I know she doesn'tunderstand what is going on with me no more than I understand what is up with her right now. Can ANYONE at all help give me insight into this situation with Shelby??? I have a Kirby vacum with a shampooer and I have shampooed my carpet 100 times and the stains just won't go away, and neither will the smell... Why has her potty habits changed so much in the last month??? She is 6 months old and a complete momma's girl, and now momma is pregnant and sick all the time. Also Her and my 3 year old son doen't seem to get along anymore, they are always fighting for affection aginst each other and Shelby is starting to nip and bite at him and suggestion on puppy and Child behaviors???

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Do you crate her when you're not with her?.That's the 1st thing,i would do.Remember,she is still a baby.
As for the nipping,she is probably getting her adult teeth and that's why she is doing this.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Hi!

First of all-

Welcome to the forum! Looks as though you have posted before, but I am bad with names.

Also, congrats on your new baby!!

You sure have your hands full- but you already know that!

Here's a few things you might find useful.

Your puppy is a BABY. There is absolutely NO reason this dog should ever be walking around your house without you staring right at her. Aside from her age, she is backsliding, so she needs to be supervised. Leash her to you if you have to! If not... CRATE this dog!!!

Secondly, please have her tested for a UTI. This is a very common problem in a female puppy, and very very easy to treat.

Next, is she spayed? Many bitch puppies start peeing, marking, and backsliding on housetraining before they come into season. It can also make them a bit moody.

Hang in there- this dog will be a wonderful friend to your kids and you when she grows up! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She has been crate trained from day 1, you simply tell Shelby to go to bed and she goes to her crate. However she was Spayed around 2 months ago. Shelby almost has seem to grow quite protective over me and my attention sine becoming pregnant, she doesn't want my husband, or my son near me, we took her to the dog park last weekend and she never sticks close to me, but she would run around 10 feet ahead a refuse to move untill I caught up. I will check on the UTI though, can the UTI make her urin stink worse???

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Yes the Uti can make it stink worse.... sometimes even have blood in it....

·
18,122 Posts
Yes it sure can, IMO! It's a very possible cause...

However, if you are leaving the dog loose and coming home to pee, then she is not being crated, apparently?

Also, no doubt she can sense your hormones, moods, and many dogs become protective of their owners during pregnancies or illnesses (not that pregnancy is an illness, just a "different" state of being, which the dog can sense).

·
OWNED BY ELLA
221 Posts
Do you crate her? Also sounds like she is doing it because she is getting negative attention due to you being sick alot and not giving her the attention she had before. negative attention is still a way for her to get attention, and thats what you dont want. Positive re-enforcement goes a long way. I have a carpeted house as well, and what worked for us with ella's pee accidents as a puppy was the resolve pet carpet stain remover, sprayed that on let it sit for 5 min or so then we used scalding hot water in the carpet cleaner, to clean it up with. Before we put the carpet cleaner on we would suck up as much of the pee as we could first, then go through the process.

Hope this helps, Good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, we always crate her while we are not home. I even crate her during my shower. These pee spots have been happining while we all are home playing. For example I will be sitting in the floor throwing her toy across the house(which i can not see over the couch) to get up from the floor and find a puddle by where I was throwing the toy. And another example I was sitting on the couch last night and Shelby walked right up to me and proceeded to pee almost on my feet. Completly out of character for her!

·
Banned
4,311 Posts
Yes it sure can, IMO! It's a very possible cause...

However, if you are leaving the dog loose and coming home to pee, then she is not being crated, apparently?

Also, no doubt she can sense your hormones, moods, and many dogs become protective of their owners during pregnancies or illnesses (not that pregnancy is an illness, just a "different" state of being, which the dog can sense).
I agree with this about the dogs become protective of their owners when they are ill. My dad has been pretty sick the last week and Barney and Brinkley would not leave his side. They kept him warm when he went to bed and would not leave him at all. He was admitted to the hospital and is improving but its amazing how wonderful they can be.

·
18,122 Posts
Every bit of information you give us is helpful, so thanks!!!

In this case I'd definitely consider that she is stressed, confused... and still think a UTI is possible. I'd go back to basics and pretend she is 8 weeks old.

·
LynnMomto Sunny & Jasmine
2,118 Posts
Totally agree about her being in the crate if she is not under your watchful eye at every moment during this backsliding period. Also with the suggestions about the UTI. My Jazzy had contracted a UTI when she went through her first (and only) season. She has just finished the last of her antibiotic. Yes, it will definitely make the urine smell a lot stronger. Try this for your carpet. Blot up whatever pee you can and then pour on straight hydrogen peroxide. Let it sit for 15 minutes or so and blot that up and let dry. When dry the odor will be completely gone! It shouldn't take the color out of the carpet either. You may want to try it on an out of sight spot first just to make sure. I have dark brown carpet (how dumb is THAT color with light Golden retrievers??) and it has never taken the color out whatsoever. I have used peroxide exclusively now for about 4 years. Works wonderful! I used to have a male that marked!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the mew little one coming.

Jazzys Mom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I guess I will be calling the vet Monday morning to at least rule out a UTI, and try spending a little more one on one time with her, and just be thankful she love me enough to sense the changes in me and care! Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok fill me in on what being a teenager mean for Goldens. The last Golden I had wasas a child... soo what fun ride am I in for next?? LOL

·
18,122 Posts
Often in this stage your finally "good" puppy becomes more active. Minor chewing can reach full scale destruction. The dog has new teeth and strong adult jaws. More exercise is a GOOD GOOD idea! They can test limits and boundaries. Some dogs sail through this stage, others need some reminders. All can benefit from a lot of good mental and physical exercise :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Goldens are very sensitive and in-tuned to their people, especially their mommies. I would imagine she knows that you are not feeling your best right now and is concerned. Plus the peeing could be submissive peeing. Buffy was real prone to that at the age of yours up until age 2. She would tinkle at any sort of excitement (when we would come home, play, etc.).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts