Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having a hard time with Buddy and chewing the fur off his body.

We were out today and came home to Buddy throwing up clumps of his hair. He is crated while we are out.

He's been to the vet for this issue and they said that he was bored and that we should give him more toys to play with so that he is less bored when we are gone.

We've tried kongs and treats and his kong is the only toy he won't completely ingest while we are not home.

Does anyone have any advice on toys that are safe for him to have when we are not home.

He was exercised before we left the house today and has been chewing the hair off his backside for a couple months now and will only chew the one side.. He's had his glands cleaned recently (that was not the problem) and we've tried bitter apple spray and that doesn't seem to deter him from eating his fur.

We also live in the desert so there are no fleas or bugs that could be bothering him.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Is he OK when he is NOT crated? Do you have a smaller area you can confine him in besides the crate? I'm just guessing here...maybe some others can be more helpful.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vet said that they didn't think it was an allergy of any kind. He has been eating chicken based food since we brought him home and has never had a problem up until now. He hasn't had any real diet changes at all..

He also gets right into his crate whenever we are getting ready to go out somewhere so it's not like we have to force him to do something he doesn't want to.

As far as the nylabones.. I bought one for him last weekend and he went into another room with it for 5 minutes and ate half of it and this was a non edible bone. He was fine after that and was pooping and eating normally so I don't suspect any blockages or anything.

We noticed yesterday that he was back to eating his fur again since it was the first day in a few weeks he was in his crate. Before that, he was wearing a cone while we were gone because he was neutered a few weeks ago and took a while to heal. I don't get it.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
dry skin perhaps? I just don't really hear of dogs pulling out chunks of their fur just because they are bored and since you said you exercised him before you left, it's not like he's in a crate 24/7. I tend to think there's another issue here.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dry skin perhaps? I just don't really hear of dogs pulling out chunks of their fur just because they are bored and since you said you exercised him before you left, it's not like he's in a crate 24/7. I tend to think there's another issue here.
He doesn't seem to be itchy or anything when we are home and at most he is home alone for 4 hours. He never had these issues until his hair started to grow in all nice and pretty.. he even chewed the hair off the end of his tail.. and he doesn't get it at the skin. Right now it looks like someone took a scissor to his butt and just gave him a jagged hair cut back there.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
anxiety issues? My first thought was allergies but if not then anxiety?
I'll second the possible separation anxiety. Don't make a big deal when you get home or when you leave. Ignore the dog, in fact. Some people have had success with Rescue Remedy as well (GNC).

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Are you sure it couldn't be a flea issue? I tried to google fleas in Nevada and found sites that state they do live there and sites that state they don't live in Nevada. Just asking.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Can't help with the fur issue, but had the same experience with the Nylabone...did you get the "Durable" kind (out of the 30+ varieties, the durable kind look the least bit of fun, just like a hunk of plastic with knuckles on the end). Once I got the right kind, I never had a foster go through one of those.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm certainly no expert on this problem, but does he 'ever' do this biting and pulling out his fur when he's not in his crate? Or only ever when he is crated?

If he never ever does it out of his crate, I personally would first try and find an alternative warm safe puppy friendly place in the house where he feels comfortable with and knows well, and see how he gets on then 'without being crated', leaving him with a soft toy that he's had since a puppy, or one he feels comforted with.

Keep us posted, it sounds as though it must be painful for him :-( I Hope you can find the reason.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
sorry

Sorry he is chewing his fur.
Did you say he was neutered recently?
Could there be an infection-did you ask the vet.
Perhaps the fur growing back is making him itchy?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts