Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have an almost 1 year old Golden and have come across a family who are getting rid of their 5 year old Golden......Both males. Were not to sure how Oliver will deal with another male dog....BUT dont want to see this dog go to a shelter.

Can someone help me in understanding how the dogs may or may not get along.....what I can do to make it an easy transition for the new family member....What are some things I should look for on Sunday upon meeting the new boy???

Thanks

·
Registered
401 Posts
My old male Basset would not have wanted another male in the house, but my Golden boy is so easygoing that I don't think he would care at all. My neighbor has three male rescues and they get along get. It would depend on if either was submissive. I agree with the Dog Whisperer that a calm dog will get along with another calm dog no matter the sex.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Two male goldens usually get along great. Introduce them in a neutral fenced area if possible. When I introduced 8 month old Caue to 2 YO Oakly I had to pick up all of Oakly's toys for a couple of months as we had some resource guarding in the beginning. They are now buddies and wrestle and play and share my affection and their toys well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.....I really hope they get along and that things work out so I can bring him home on Sunday....I REALLY would hate if they had to put him in a shelter :-(

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
When bringing a new dog into the home, I recommend giving the original dog preferrential treatment for awhile. It goes against what we naturally think as humans; we want to treat them equally. Instead, give the original dog more attention, first food, etc. That way he won't feel like he needs to defend his position against the new dog.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did notice his nose is pinkinsh from the pictures they sent me and Oliver's (as well as my first Golden Duke) both have VERY black noses.....Why is this??? Someon had told me once that if their noses aren't black...then somewhere down the line they are not a 100% purbread....Is there any truth to that???

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
It doesnt necessary mean they are not purebred but their pigment is not as prominent. It might come back some but if not that is ok too. My eskie has a light nose.
I agree with everyone else on having them meet on neutral ground and if you can take them for a walk together that will help. Congratulations on your new family member and I hope it goes well.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Keep us updated. Loisiana also made another good point. Do give the original dog more attention at the beginning. They are less likely to be so territorial to the new addition. We did theiu recently when adding our new puppy. We try to give each one some alone time too. My husband walks the older one that gives me training & play time with the puppy, yet Kadence gets her alone time with my husband. When puppy is slepping I try to give Kadence alone time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We are going to meet Sage tomorrow....he is a VERY beautiful boy....I will let everyone know how we make out.....Thanks for the advice

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Quick question, I didn't see in the post, are both dogs neutered? I have one that is and one that isn't and they play well other than the neutered one is always making Dooley mad, so they don't play unsupervised, just in case. If both are neutered, it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I know my Brady would happily allow any dog in his house, male or female, to share his toys and food. Hope you have the same type of luck!

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I hope the guys got along!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently read something about scent being an important element in how dogs get along--basically a chemistry issue. I believe it was an article on woofreport.com. Interested to hear how it goes. Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts