Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have researched my eyes out on my situation and am starting to actually feel a little stressed. So I come to you for advice.

First a little bit of background noise. I have always been a dog lover. I grew up with dogs, I've had my own dogs. I am a dog person. I know how to take care of them, train them and love them. All of my dogs have been well behaved and never been a problem. I work varied hours. This means that there are certain MONTHS that I have off, and others that I am across the country on business. I have an office that I go to some. Could be 5 days a week, 2 or none. We are in the tradeshow business and it really just depends on if there is an upcoming show. So I am home a lot, or none. I am in a great relationship with a woman I intend on marrying and we are thinking about adding a furry friend to our home. We have a nice home for a dog with a small fenced in yard and great walk / play areas around. I know this will be a great home for a new golden.

My girlfriend is a first grade school teacher that works normal school year hours. This means out the door at 6 and home after 3. She has summers off . She has NEVER owned a pet. She did not grow up with dogs, and has never owned one. Obviously, she doesn't know what she's missing out on yet, but she is on board with adding a dog. However, she wants a young puppy that she can raise, know his whole life and build a bond with. I would love a puppy too and if the timing worked out where I could be home from work I have no doubts that it would be great. However, I also know that puppy's require 24/7 care and am not totally opposed to rescuing a 8-12 month old.

So, I need some reasons to tell her why this would be a better option. How do I explain to her that even a slightly older dog will still be our baby and love us as much as any pup. My only real concern with rescuing is from a previous experience. The last two dogs I had were brother and sister rhodesian ridgeback mix young adults. I have no idea what happened to them before I got them from the county shelter, but the boy was very aggressive towards other dogs (cept his sister). I tried everything I could to break this, he never bit any dogs but he would sure as heck charge them and dominate them, didn't matter the type of dog or size. He was an amazingly sweet boy with me but I just couldn't break that flaw. Tried training, professional trainers, everything, he just wasn't having it. So my concern with going the rescue route is bad habits the dog has already learned during their puppy stages. How do I repair that learned and ingrained behavior in a rescue?

The 2nd part is more of an afterthought since I do generally do a fairly good job of training my dogs to be well behaved doggy citizens. Really trying to figure out what our best option for our new family member is going to be with regards of pup vs rescue. I know this was long and I rambled some but needed to get it off my chest. Thanks!

-Sean

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey Sean,

Thanks for considering a rescue. I can tell you from personal experience that a rescue dog, even an older one, will love you just as much as a pup that you have raised from 8 weeks old. The great thing about Goldens is that they love everyone, and if they find a person that goes out of their way to spend time with them and show them attention, that love is magnified a hundred-fold. Let your girlfriend know that by rescuing a slightly older dog, you will avoid the destructive chewing phase that can cost you shoes, socks, furniture, carpet, drywall, etc. Also with an older rescue, their housebreaking stage is usually over, so no concerns with messy clean-ups. With an older rescue, you can tell the personality that they will have the rest of their lives, no guess work involved. Finally the best reason of all, you are giving an older dog a second chance at a perfect home. Pups get all the oohs and ahhs because they are so cute, an older rescue needs someone who understands that they can be just as great of a pet, they just need a chance!

·
New to Golden Land :)
55 Posts
I would just tell her that with your time schedules it really isn't condusive to have a puppy....we just got Jake who is 11 weeks...and I have to take him out every 30-45 minutes....and sometimes in between. I do work during the day as well...and I can tell that if I were home all day potty training would be going ALOT easier. He does pee in his kennel....so that is laundry all day long. It can be done...and if you guys want a baby to raise as your own I say take the plunge....its so rewarding and fun! However...I have been on the other side and have adopted slightly older dogs and they have also been some of the best dogs I have ever owned. If she is willing to put in the time (ALOT OF TIME) and effort (ALOT OF EFFORT) then I say get a pup....that way you guys can train him/her the way you would like. Plus this will just give her experience for when the "real" babies come (just sayin)

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Adopting from a rescue is totally different from adopting at a shelter. Rescues are very focused on each and every animal. Shelters unfortunately don't have the time to spend with each animal. Rescues relay on foster homes where the animals are member of family and live in a home environment. I think you get my gist.

It seems like a rescue would be a better idea for your family right now. You could wait til summertime to get a puppy when she will be home for the beginning of housebreaking. The puppy would then be 5-6 months old by then with better bladder and bowel control. A dog walker could then do the late morning/lunch time bathroom break.

Good luck in your search.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
Personally both your schedules will work out well for a puppy. If she gets the summer off that is plenty of time for house breaking etc. That is if the timing is right for the pup. If you go the rescue route, just remember that all the ones that age go quickly and it is pretty tough to find one that age. At least it was in our experience. Especially one that they know the history. I know of at least one of the rescues in my area does kennel their dogs.
I would set up interviews with with a couple of rescues and also talk to the breeders in your area to get a good idea of what is available. Good luck!

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Sean,
I am a teacher and have had dogs all my life, but I just added another dog to our family and it was a rescue. I LOVE puppies, I'm a show breeder of a toy breed, so yes, there are puppies here once or twice a year, (though not in the last couple of years). I chose not to get a Golden puppy because of the time involved in housebreaking (And I have two teenagers here, one in high school who has basically a half day schedule and one in college who is home most of the day). Also because of the destructive months ahead with a puppy, chewing anything and everything in sight, biting hands, jumping up, teaching manners, etc.. Not to mention getting up in the middle of the night to put a puppy out because it is now finally whining that it needs to go... I'm sure all these things are bringing back memories to you.

If your girlfriend has never raised a puppy and your job requires you to be gone quite a bit, then I would go with the rescue. A rescue is a good way to learn about living with a dog and the love a dog can bring and give to you. In a couple of years maybe a puppy right before summer would fit better.

I also have to say my son and his wife were in a kind of similar situation when they lived in Germany. My daughter-in-law never had a dog, she was still in the military and worked long hours. My son is a disabled vet, putting a puppy out when needed would be hard for him most days. She wanted a puppy, he convinced her an older dog would fit better. KC was nine when they adopted her, she's now fourteen. My daughter-in-law dotes on that Golden, nothing is too good. She loves her to pieces.

I think the key is finding the right dog for both of you. And with a Golden, that won't be too hard.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I foster only puppies for a golden rescue and I can tell you that not all puppies go quickly, I have had some for up to 2 months. Maybe because the list of adopters at that time are actually sane enough to know they don't want to do a puppy because of the work they entail.

I agree that with your schedule, your experience and your friend's lack of experience, an older pup would be a better idea. We get tons of older puppies in, males tend to get adopted more slowly than females, so if you don't care about the gender, keep that in mind. Even a two year old would be great.

Short story. I had Tess come to me at 10 years old, mostly blind and with lots of health issues. She lived with me for 2 1/2 years before cancer took her. She bonded tightly with me and was my sweet heart dog. It didn't matter to her that she had spent 10 years with another family. She knew I adored her and she adored me. So don't get hung up on age.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts