Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I'm going through withdrawals!

While I'm glad that Vito is mine and he much prefers being a dog I can't help but miss puppy raising. I miss taking Vito with me everywhere I went...I miss all the friends I made and the support I received. It was such a great experience that I really yearn to do it again. There is this adorable lab puppy in Vito's obedience class and she makes me keep thinking about it. I just keep trying to tell myself that puppies are sooo much work..but it isn't helping. :( All of my puppy raising friends have blogs that I read. I get so jealous, I miss doing all those fun things. I'm so depressed over it!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I'm sorry this seems to be a difficult time for you. I guess I missed the thread where Vito went from SDIT to pet... what happened?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sorry this seems to be a difficult time for you. I guess I missed the thread where Vito went from SDIT to pet... what happened?
He wasn't happy doing soon-to-be guide work. He disliked his jacket and constantly was trying to rub it off. He was easily stressed in new situations.

Although I've found since we changed his training methods around he is MUCH better!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any way you can do it again some day?
I'm thinking about applying to a different program when I move in August. My dad would never allow another dog in his house. Now I just need to convince my boyfriend that having a puppy around is a good idea. :doh:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
He wasn't happy doing soon-to-be guide work. He disliked his jacket and constantly was trying to rub it off. He was easily stressed in new situations.

Although I've found since we changed his training methods around he is MUCH better!
Not being able to adapt to new situations would be a problem for guide dog. I'm sorry the program didn't work out for him. Are you going to keep him as a pet or will the agency rehome him so you can begin training again. You've been so great at this and seemed to thrive on your "assignment". It takes someone very special to get dogs ready for their service to the disabled.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not being able to adapt to new situations would be a problem for guide dog. I'm sorry the program didn't work out for him. Are you going to keep him as a pet or will the agency rehome him so you can begin training again. You've been so great at this and seemed to thrive on your "assignment". It takes someone very special to get dogs ready for their service to the disabled.
He is a very, very happy pet with me! Which is good because I was taking applications for a bed hog, ha.

I do love it, very much. It's fun and rewarding although I want to know what it's like to actually have a dog pass.

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
It seems like Vito may be a good fit for a theraputic therapy dog. its something like Amber does as "service animal" but yet shes also a "therapy dog" in title as well. I have ID cards for her with both titles. I use her in my work as the facility i work with her at a therapist so she works in individual and group sessions and private family sessions. She then has free roam ability in the one boys house on campus where they reside for a year or more 24/7 and provides comfort, emotional support, companionship to the boys who really need someone to talk to that will just sit there and listen while they relieve their stress by rubbing her belly or ears. Other times when we have blow outs and clients fight I can often diffuse them instantly without having to resort to Passive physical restraints. I just go to the nearest client involved and ask him to take her leash and help me walk her outside and around the campus so Amber can go poopsi for me and it gives him a chance to cool down and talk to me about what was going on in his mind about the incident. Thats stopped alot of fights before they ever started when we see the tension is building. We are in training with TDI to get into the childrens hospitals in Philly here in PA as shes passed the CGC twice, once with using both verbal and hand signals and once using only hand signals. I also use Amberwith the client I see outside of work as a mobile therapist. I work with autistic kids who most have problems in large areas outside of their homes such as grocery stores, big malls, big box stores....etc heck even big places to eat like TGIF or applebees. So I start working amber with the client in the clients on hiome getting them comfotable with amber to the point they just love to do nothing less then hold her allthe time so she has their trust. Then we make small and short voyages out to local grocery stores with her, places for haircuts, dr offices...etc whichever is presenting that particular issue for this clients and we havdle it one at a time with Amber along. I'm seen Amber make some huge leap of progress only due to her being there! So maybe something something along those lines with vito? Amber is considered a "service Animal" and a "therapy dog" so I have both bagdes for her that I wear around my neck as needed for what we are doing. Sounds like vitio may be good with kids so maybe join up with a mobile therapist to work with kids in that manner. It also allows you to go anywhere at all with the dog to work on continued training, such as places to eat, movie theaters, grocery shopping, mall shopping, going in elevators, up escalators...etc It allows y ou to go to these places just to train in those situations so that when you do have to bring a client to that area, the dog has been used to being in that situation and can focus totally on the client at hand. You have to be very mobile and fluid in these situations and be prepared for anything that might pop up as just about anything that can or will come up, will do so at some point lol. If hyou need anything let me know. I think your vitowould be great at some of these things especially as he gets older and with continued training.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hey Nicole,
It's really funny that Vito and Benny are EXACTLY the same age, and I am feeling the same way. My husband says NO WAY to another puppy (right now....................);)

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
I think about & miss puppy raising everyday too. :( Raising Goldie & Aspen was the greatest joy I've experienced. We raised them with hugs & kisses, & even though they give us back twice as much love, it is so much fun molding them to be that kind of dog. :eek:

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
I can imagine how you feel :( It's really hard when you have to stop taking a dog with you places--it feels so empty. Maybe you can get another puppy down the road to train? Too bad you don't live near me, we are currently in the market for puppy-raisers.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Puppies ARE a lot of work..but they are sooo fun.
I mentioned puppy raising for Canine Companions for Independence to my boyfriend yesterday. Once we move and get settled in..probably during the summer.
He said he doesn't really want another puppy but we will discuss it when the time gets closer....;)

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Gosh......I shudder at the thought of a puppy. Guess I'm not a good puppy mommy.

LOL I have that same thought sometimes. And Sam was such a totally easy puppy... that I worry I'll have the devil puppy next time.

Nicole, I think if your boyfriend is fine with the idea of dog (puppy!) #2 you should definitely go for it again... it sounds like something you really loved doing and Vito would love the companionship too :)

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
That makes me soooo happy! :) :) My dogs go an awful lot of places with me and they aren't guide dogs in training. They can't go in places that serve food, but I'll walk right into Loews with them, for example. Maybe that'll give you a piece of what you're looking for until you can puppy raise again. Plus, take a picture doing it and you'll win a prize in your beginner class! :D

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL I have that same thought sometimes. And Sam was such a totally easy puppy... that I worry I'll have the devil puppy next time.

Nicole, I think if your boyfriend is fine with the idea of dog (puppy!) #2 you should definitely go for it again... it sounds like something you really loved doing and Vito would love the companionship too :)
LOL, Devil puppy. I'm not going to lie, Vito was a difficult puppy. So I basically just hope the next one is totally different, haha. At least I'm ready this time.

I need to bring the boyfriend around puppies. They always melt his heart and he caves. He acts like he doesn't want one, but does. He just doesn't admit it. ;) Plus I end up doing most of the 'puppy responsibilities' anyways, which is fine with me. I just need to make sure that my schedule starting in the fall will allow me enough time to dedicate.

That makes me soooo happy! :) :) My dogs go an awful lot of places with me and they aren't guide dogs in training. They can't go in places that serve food, but I'll walk right into Loews with them, for example. Maybe that'll give you a piece of what you're looking for until you can puppy raise again. Plus, take a picture doing it and you'll win a prize in your beginner class! :D

HA, Steph I am rocking those prizes weekly in class. Too bad Vito shreds them up in about 10 minutes. But those are a VERY happy 10 minutes!

Vito is pretty much attached to my hip...we go a ton of places together. I need to get braver about taking him IN these places though. He very much enjoys going through drive thrus and sticking his head out the window to say hello. :)

The best thing I miss about puppy raising (besides all the wonderful people you meet) is trotting around campus with my dog. We had a lot of fun at school! Or swapping pups and taking the older ones to Disneyland or other fun 'older puppy' places. Ok, I SERIOUSLY need to stop!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
You are exactly the kind of person to do this again Nicole! I'm too selfish so I could never do it because I couldn't give up the dog in the end.

You did such a great job with Vito, he was just meant to be YOUR boy! : )

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
You are exactly the kind of person to do this again Nicole! I'm too selfish so I could never do it because I couldn't give up the dog in the end.

You did such a great job with Vito, he was just meant to be YOUR boy! : )

I agree, I could never give up a puppy I raised.... I have such admiration for those that can. It's such a selfless thing to do, and what an amazing cause to be a part of.

And I was always secretly hoping Vito would be dropped from the program... I would've really missed seeing him around this place. :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts