Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I whine just a bit and feel sorry for our situation?

I'm a little in tears because I miss my girl by my side. She's not allowed to do any of the casual little things we did before...and we will again, intellectually I know that. But right now I miss her at the barn, I miss our wild play sessions on the bed with her leaping and twirling. Even though she's not a cuddle bug in the obvious sense, I miss having her on the couch next to me. I even miss just opening the door to let her out by herself and see her roll in the grass, just for the pleasure of it. I miss watching her sit in the front yard waiting for Penny's Dad to come back. I miss her boisterous barking at people, things and noises outside.

This is all so selfish because I know people here and everywhere who have lost their dogs to disease and death and will never get them back. It will all come back so my 'missing' is trivial and temporary but for the time being: I miss my girl.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
You are allowed to miss her! Can you put her in a wagon and pull her around to the barn, then set her up in a pen on her own? I'm sure she misses it all just as much as you. I'm sorry, I feel for you both. One day at a time and remember each day brings you closer to a full recovery. Hugs, K

Reactions: Karen519

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Angelina

Angelina

Those are GREAT IDEAS!!
I think Penny would like that Mom and so would you!

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
I am sorry, but it will pass, and before you know it, she will be back ,doing all she did with you, i went through this with kooper.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I understand totally what you are feeling and am experiencing it here too. I miss my morning walks with Toby--they aren't the same without me trying to keep him from eating the road kill, or Toby smelling each and every telephone pole, making a contribution here and there on a few of the poles. I miss Toby alerting me to wildlife, other dogs and other runners and walkers. I just try to remember it is temporary and we are doing this to insure his recovery and soon these feelings will be a forgotten memory when we have him back doing his normal routine with us. We are lucky you know, because they are still here with us and we still get to love them, spoil them and enjoy them--just in a different way for a short time.

I like the wagon idea--do you have one handy?

Hubby and I really need to go get our stash of fruit and veggies from Costco but don't want to leave Toby home alone--we are even thinking about strapping him in his seat belt harness and one of us (hubby) staying with him while the other (me) does the shopping!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm considering something like that. She will never go for a wagon situation but I can drive right up to the barn. I can lift her out and then tie her up in the aisle way. Normally she just lays in the shade while I work anyway. The only time she gets up is to bark at somebody going by.

Quoting the vet's home care rules:

1. Pet can be inside, on carpeted surfaces under direct supervision. Can wander arond the room at a slow walk as long as this is not constant. Running, jumping bounding, playing etc, are not allowed.

2. Pet must be on a leash at all time when outside for airing and going potty. A sling must be used for slick floors or uneven ground. When not under direct supervision, pet is to be confined in an airline kennel or equivalent. (we don't do the crate thing because all she does is sleep when we're not around. We keep her confined to her 5x7 rug when we gone so she can't run to windows or door)

One of the areas we have not been able to control is The Greeting. She still wants to twirl and circle, even rearing up a little. We keep her confined to the carpet when either of us leaves so she won't be on a slippery floor when we return. We have started to let her walk on the tile because she's not having any trouble with that.

Taking her to the barn to lay in the aisle with me would eliminate The Greeting when I get back. Almost sounds like it would be better for her in the long run. Wishful thinking?

I'm also wondering if this quiet outing, it's just me and her at the barn...no other dogs, horses are out in pasture, would be better for her because it will tire her out a bit. Also the ride in the car is about 8 minutes one way on a fairly quiet country road.

Am I rationalizing and wishful thinking?

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
Of course you miss her. I wish there was a way to make her heal up quicker. Just think that soon she will be all better and you will barely remember the times when she couldn't do everthing with you.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Just go slow, make sure she doesn't try and jump out, maybe set it all up before she gets there. And when you can of course,take pictures!

I have the little hatchback so my dogs can stay in the car when I'm at the ranch...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Ok I missed something and I humbly apologize :curtain: Did Penny have her knee operated on? I went back to look for posts, and saw one with a picture of her incision. Can someone catch me up. I am truly sorry for missing.

I can understand your feeling alone with out her. However like you said, at least it is temporary. She will be fine, allow her all the time she needs for a full recovery. It will seem like forever, then one day you will look back and think 'it wasn't that bad after all'.

Maxine had both knees operated on (torn CCL) I remember the first one was in the spring. I would take her out on nice days on a blanket and we would just sit in the sun together enjoying the gorgeous day. She was easily kept complacent so she was an easy patient. She wouldn't crate, so during the day we put her in the back bedroom, gated the doorway, and she would be where we left her when we got back. Then she would wander around the house. Again she didn't really want to so she would just move to a room closer to us and lay back down. We would block the stairs so she could not do them by herself, not that she would try. Our only catch was she absolutely would not go to the bathroom on a leash. So we had to potty walk her outside by herself off leash. She was fine. Penny will be too.

If you had CCL repair done, I want you to know after Max's second surgery about 16 months after the first, she never ever had a problem with her back legs for the rest of her life. Never needed a NSAID for her legs. Ok for her cancer but not her legs. They worked beautifully until the day she died.

RIP Max, I still miss you.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, that could work, Kim. I could drive right up to the big door. Practically back into the aisle and put the windows down or leash her in like yours are. Most of the time when I'm there, I leave the hatch up and she gets back in on her own and waits. So being left in the car, close enough to see and hear me could be just the ticket and wouldn't upset her. I'm going to go now and will take pictures.

I do count my blessings and try to always be on the positive side but sometimes I can hear that negative side whispering in the background. Sometimes it helps to let that negative side have it's voice and get it over with. And see what happened?

My biggest blessing is my friends here and with all your help, a solution. I am VERY blessed. ttyl

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Max's mom, Penny had her right acl repaired with TPLO surgery 2 weeks ago this past Monday. It's okay you missed it, life-us interruptus!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I understand how you feel. Adjusting to a new normal is very difficult. When my boy could no longer go on long walks with me it was very sad walking those long walks alone. I got him a wagon and it healed both of us getting out into nature again together. I read in another post of your of how you spent 90 minutes just "being" together with Penny sitting outside, that made me very happy :). Some of the best times Tucker and I had were just being out together watching the world go by. It was very therapeutic.

Keep a watchful eye, only takes a split second for a squirrel or other critter to pop out of nowhere while at the barn. I wish you both many happy years together.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Goldencamper: that is so sweet, it brought tears to my eyes. What a lucky dog he was...

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
aaah, I had Tucker and his wagon pictured in my mind when the wagon idea was suggested....I sure miss your Tucker boy, but really am enjoying your Fiona...sorry off topic somewhat but Tucker's photo brings back such sweet memories!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Goldencamper: That is a fantastic picture and made me tear up too. What a poster for Ending Ones Troubles...just a Man and his dog. WOW!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It brought tears to my eyes too. How sweet and bittersweet the picture of the two of you. Thank you so much for being so thoughtful.

We did go to the barn, pictures in the picture forum.:)

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Max's mom, Penny had her right acl repaired with TPLO surgery 2 weeks ago this past Monday. It's okay you missed it, life-us interruptus!
Glad she is doing well. The rehab time will go by quickly when you look back at it. Glad you are having nice weather right now and got out to enjoy it, both of you. Max's second knee was done late Oct. The weather turned nasty fast. I think that made her second surgery "harder" on us. She seemed more depressed. I think the lack of sun therapy is why. She did come through fabulously from the surgical side, and she did bounce back mentally once off her restrictions. Once she could go for a walk she was fine. Even a short one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts