Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My best friend was put to sleep today. It's been 12 hours since it's happened and I'm an emotional wreck. I cry every 20 minutes and can't come to terms with it. I miss him so so so so so much. It hurts so bad. Please are there any tips for making the transition from having a pet to not having one any easier? It hurts so bad :(

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just wanted to say that I am very sorry for your loss. I wish I had a tip to make the transition easier... I know it is hard to imagine right now, but it will get better with time.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your loss. It is so hard to let them go. It does hurt terribly. It is different for everyone. Just let the tears flow. I can write this here and not be judged, but I've grieved for the loss of our goldens as hard as I've grieved for family. When you are able, share your golden with us. It seems like writing about them somehow makes them immortal. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
So sorry that you have lost your boy :( I'm sorry I don't really have any advice as me and my family are still struggling with losing our golden 6 months ago.

Time will ease your pain a little and your memories will get you through. Just take it a day at a time, and stick around here you'll find lots of support from understanding people.

·
Carlos-Rhett's Dad 4ever
326 Posts
I'm sorry for the loss of your boy. I lost mine 2 weeks ago and there's not a day that goes by that I don't think of him. They become a major part of our lives and it's tough without them. I find that coming back to this site helps me through my pain. I hope that somehow I can help others through theirs.

·
Duda and Summer's Mom
321 Posts
I'm so sorry, wish I could help... Praying for you and your family...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It really hurts, you guys. I found this forum a few weeks ago when we took our Golden to Chicago with us for vacation. He was ill and we couldn't bare to leave him in a kennel or with a neighbor. He had diabetes, an eye infection, and worst of all, laryngeal paralysis. Everything else was treatable, but the laryngeal paralysis just got the better of him this morning. We all knew it was time. I've been told by everybody that we made the right decision, but hearing that doesn't make it any better. I've never seen my family in such shambles. We really needed him. He was the best of us. I know the journey to feeling normal again is long and will be full of tears and sadness. I just miss him so much.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I am so, so sorry for your loss! You must feel empty, achy & numb. May I ask your boy's name?

Reactions: jenniferkruger

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
His name was Bono. He was 12 years old, we got him when he was a few weeks old. I feel horrible. I've been told all day that it'll take time for things to feel better, but nothing I've heard so far has taken away any of the pain. Thank you to all who are showing their condolences. It means a lot to know people care.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I'm so sorry about your Bono & agree that no words can really help you right now. All we can offer are heartfelt condolences & maybe someone to talk with. We do understand the pain you're feeling.

·
3 goldens
11,926 Posts
I am so bery sorry for your loss. Almsot every single person here has been thru it and knows exactly how you feel, understand your grief and the big empty spot in your heart.

Your Bono was a handsome boy. You will always miss him, but as time passes (tho it does not seem so now), you will tend to cry less at the loss and smile more at the good memories. I have been doing this for 55 years--lost my first dog, an 8 month English Setter Ihad gotten for my 11th birthday, to distemper, and been thru it many, many times. I still mis each and every one physically, but they are in my heart in spirit...and alwasy will be.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss of Bono. He was handsome boy indeed. As for the pain it takes time to lose its sharp edges, for some longer than for the others. I have different things working out on different days. Some days crying helps. I cried a lot today, my very dear friend on this forum was very close to put her dog to sleep today. The other days I try to do good things in his honor what ever comes on my way. The most of the time I do not think about that as a pain, I think about that as love. If I would not love my Buddy so much I would not feel this way, and I know my love for him is indestructible. But take into account those tips are coming from someone who still mourns the loss of 14 months. Take care my friend.

Run free, play hard, sleep softly sweet Bono.

·
groobie peese n da lobe
10,181 Posts
Bless your heart. I am so very sorry and know it hurts.

I honestly wish there was something more I could say but just dont have words.

Will send you a hug instead

(((hug)))

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for everything, guys. i'm doing much better today. I took a hot shower and watched a funny movie with my brother and haven't cried that hard since yesterday! I know that it'll be a tough road to learning to live without him, but I'm ready for it. I'm happy he's no longer in pain, even if his absence kills me deep inside. I miss him, and I always will, but I guess I need to just accept that death is a part of life and that you can't dwell on the "what if's" and "should have's" and beat yourself up over them. You need to appreciate the great times you had and cherish the memories. I know it'll take a while before I can look back on everything without being upset he's gone, but I'll get there eventually. Any positivity sent my way is much appreciated. I enjoy reading comments with stories of your own! Thanks so much! :)

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Jennifer

Thank you for everything, guys. i'm doing much better today. I took a hot shower and watched a funny movie with my brother and haven't cried that hard since yesterday! I know that it'll be a tough road to learning to live without him, but I'm ready for it. I'm happy he's no longer in pain, even if his absence kills me deep inside. I miss him, and I always will, but I guess I need to just accept that death is a part of life and that you can't dwell on the "what if's" and "should have's" and beat yourself up over them. You need to appreciate the great times you had and cherish the memories. I know it'll take a while before I can look back on everything without being upset he's gone, but I'll get there eventually. Any positivity sent my way is much appreciated. I enjoy reading comments with stories of your own! Thanks so much! :)
Jennifer: I am so very sorry about Bono,but you did the kindest and most loving thing for him. I know my Smooch and Snobear have greeted him and are playing with him and we will all be reunited some day. It takes a long time to "heal," and I hope some day you will be able to share your love, again.

Bono is a beautiful boy!!

Reactions: jenniferkruger

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I sure do wish there was something I could say or do to help it be easier. Time does make it more bearable and you're not alone, there are many of us here. Your Bono was a handsome boy, hugs to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today was easier. Work took my mind off of everything and once I got home I did my best to keep up the positive attitude. However, looking around my house I can't help but be painfully reminded of him by everything around me. I see his favorite sleeping spots and break down. I walk outside and look at where he used to play and can't help but feel painfully alone. I miss him so much. Does it really get easier? I know it's only the second day but it's still so hard. Also, more pictures to come!!! I love sharing.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
So sorry for your loss. {{hugs}} We know what you're feeling and understand. It will get better.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,722 Posts
You had 12 wonderful years with Bono and he knows you only ever wanted the best for him. Remember the good times you shared and the bad will fade into the mist.

RIP Bono- Find your peace and spread your love over the Rainbow Bridge.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts