Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just having a bad day with my pup,Cider, today. She is 15 weeks old and the biting with jumping is just horrible. I am trying all of the things that I've read here,but in reality,none of them seem very effective.

I've got holes in all of my clothes;and bruises and scabs on my arms and hands.

Can anyone reassure me,and tell me that this really will end? I am feeling like this is an eternity.

I find that she is being crated more as my patience dwindles.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Oh goodness...I feel for you! We have been experiencing the same with our guy and there are days that I feel like I am going to lose it. Being the primary one home with him, it all falls on me to rectify the situation.

Here's what was going on with us. Tucker is 10 weeks old and I was told by the vet that he was a "mouthy" puppy. I knew that but it was nice to hear it from a "professional". Unfortunately, I was allowing him to "mouth" us if it was gentle (which most the time it wasn't). I decided I am giving him mixed signals so I have not allowed any biting and always have a toy/chew toy on hand when on the ground playing with him. When he starts to bite, I put a toy in his mouth and do not allow him to touch us or put his mouth on us. It's been difficult with our girls as they want to continue to play with him, but I have told them to give a stern, "no" and to walk away. This has worked so far for us.

I also try not to use the crate as a "time out" spot as I want him to want to go into the crate. Is it possible to put him/her outside (in a small confinded space) for awhile? We have a fenced in deck (and back yard but it is too large) and when Tucker is acting up and I am frustrated, I usually let him out there to burn off some of his steam. I have plenty of toys outside for him as well. My only problem is we live in Washington State and 3/4 of the time it is pouring down rain. :(

Anyways...good luck! I'll be anxious to read what others suggest!

·
My first puppy
13 Posts
Don't worry! It will come to a stop, but it will take patience. Hang in there. Lucy used to bite like crazy (although it sounds like you have a worse case) and we used the method where you teach them how hard they can bite. I liked that because I want her to know how hard to bite myself and others and also to be gentle when taking treats.

I let her chew on my hand until it got as hard as I wanted and then I would say "Ouch". Some people say to do a high pitched squeal like a puppy, but that physically impossible for me. Just saying "ouch" in a way that lat her know I was hurt usually did the trick. She would then bite softer and gradually bite harder until I would say "ouch" again and then we were done. Eventually she would just have to say it once and she would chew on my hand softly for hours if I had let her. Now she has stopped biting completely.

As for the clothes, until Lucy learned what she can chew on and what she can't, we never left clothes on the floor. We also do not have any chew toys that look like clothes or shoes. If she went for something like that we would always get another toy she could chew on, tell her "NO!" and then trade the chew toy for whatever she was chewing on. Then praised her like crazy!

I will admit it's my first dog, but from what I hear Goldens do MUCH better with praise then they do punishment. Cider might start associating his crate with a bad place if you use it as a punishment.

Hang in there. I know Lucy isn't much older than Cider, but it will come with time. Some take longer than others but they are smart dogs and they will pick up eventually. Good luck!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I remember those days even though it is almost 7 years ago since our youngest Gunner was a pup.
Babyproofing your house totally is extremely important. and being consistent with your redirection too. Puppies wear you out and I was in my late forties then! I couldn't do it now I doubt.
It will pass but patience and consistency is key. You are right not to use the crate for punishment. it needs to be a safe haven.

Lots of exercise and an obedience class when she has all her shots will help greatly!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Oh man, do I understand...well sort of. I do not have a little one nor have I. But Luck does this. Just last night I thought this is just becoming too much....of course then he came over to me and dropped his big head in my lap and gave me a kiss! Then I realized it is worth it......most of the time!

Hang in there! Hope it gets better soon!

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
It will pass, I swear! Positive reinforcement is the way to go. Crating does not have to be negative. Put Cider in the crate with a stuffed Kong and give yourself a break.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Scotty is just now trying to jump and mouth (he's 15 months--cute, but slow). He has been a true golden boy, and then there is Sully. The 'I can jump on you any time I want' and 'your hand needs to be in my mouth' girl. Luckily, she only destroyed socks and one pair of pants. I think she only does it now to keep us on our toes. Be patient and look deep into those big brown eyes.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
It does pass. I promise.

Freeze a few wash cloths or rope toys, get them damp and freeze. They can teeth on this.

·
Hudson's girl
417 Posts
Don't worry. Cider will stop...eventually :) Hudson used chew/bite/nip all the time. We did the give a toy instead of flesh and that worked really well for us. Now his version of chew/bite/nip with us is him just holding his mouth open near what he wants to chew/bite/nip:p:

·
BonnieM
152 Posts
We are going through the same thing with Sam. He's 11 weeks and very mouthy. I don't remember Coby being this intense. I, too, have a couple of holes in a pair of pants from him running along side of me and grabbing the fabric. Man, that hurts! We substitute toys/frozen wash cloths when he starts chomping on us or things he shouldn't have in his mouth, but it's a constant substitution game. I will say that the last 2 weeks were awful and very trying, but the past few days, he does seem to be "getting it." When he bites, I say Ut Ut in a stern voice, and he actually looks at me and stops the biting. I then give him a substitution and he's off to play (for a while!).

It does take time and tons of patience, but they do come around. Hang in there!!!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I was just like you 9 months ago! It's gonna get better! I swear! It just takes ALOT of patience and training! You'll get through it! And you're gonna laugh about this in a few months! :D :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
There were days when I would just want to cry when EmmaRose was going through the biting phase. We did like lots have already said, frozen washcloth, substitute with a toy everytime she started biting and telling her no bite. When I felt like I was going to lose it, I'd put Emma in her crate with a stuffed kong just so I could calm down.

It doesn't last forever and it really does get better. Emma is nine months now and her biting phase is just a distant memory in the past.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Actually, funny you should mention that. I am actually asking for a slew of new yoga/lounge pants for Christmas b/c Finn put a hole in all of them when he was a puppy.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
My daughter was 10 when we got Tinkerbell and had wanted a golden puppy for 3 years when we finally got her. By the time we had Tinkerbell 3 weeks, my daughter was terrified of the puppy. Every shirt we owned, all our pajamas, most of our pants were thrown out because of the holes in them. I still have very light scars on my hands, but at the time we looked like we had some sort of flesh eating disease.

But it did end. And she is the most loving thing you could think of. adn while it seems like forever, there will come a day that all of a sudden you realize that hey it's been 3 days since we were jumped on and bit. And then a few months further down the road, you'll find you miss that little puppy.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Lucky used to put me in tears...My husband and I still carry a cobweb of ugly scars on our hands and arms.

At 15 weeks, your pup's brain is maturing and she should be more easily trained away from biting then a 9 week old.

YOu might consider using treats to teach her "off". I put my hand in Lucky's mouth, used the command "off", pulled out a treat and praised him when he dropped my hand for the treat. Pretty soon he "got" it, and he stopped mouthing when I said "off", treat or no treat.

It helps your frustration to have actual "training times" of sticking your hand in your pups mouth and teaching "gentle", "off"...heck I even taught the command "MOUTH". Sounds silly...but I felt oh so in control.

Keep in mind that the reason Goldens have that sweet gentle mouth is because they get a lot of practice frustrating us with their mouthiness when they are young.

So..its all good, all good, force a smile and realize that your pup will have the gentleist, sweetest, most sensitive mouth......in a few months.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We are going through the same thing with our Emma who will be 7 months old the end of this week. She just loves to play and bite your hand. We say "no bite" real loud and try to hand her a toy if one is close. She gets so excited when you come home she tries to grab your arm or hand with her mouth and pull on you. Again we way "no bite" and she lets go, I guess she is slowly starting to get the message. She is strong and sometimes it can really hurt.

One thing I don't know how to deal with is the jumping up on people. Yesterday she was out in the driveway and the UPS man came with a package. He knows she is a pup but she tries to jump up on him. She does the same thing when someone comes to the door. When she is doing it with me I can deal with it but how do I prevent it on strangers?

Right now she is in the "dog house" This morning she chewed the lights on one of our Christmas deer displays in the yard. She had previously gotten a hold of a light string and it became history in short order. Luckily the lites are on a timer and off in the daytime. We have removed all the light stings that are within her reach for this year.

We surely love her but she can try your patience at times.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I went through it too with Newbie. I did a combo of replacing my hand with something he could chew on, and also let him chew and slobber as long as he wasn't causing pain. When he was just crazy biting and hyper I would stuff something else in his mouth, when he was calmer but just mouthy I'd let him have my hand until he was too rough and then I'd say "ouch" and if he didn't stop I'd get up and go into the kitchen (which at the time he was gated away from). Now he doesn't bite me hard at all, and only wants to 'goober' me every now and then and it's more of a lazy-cuddle-hang-out thing instead of a play thing.

Good luck and know that it will pass! :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Bite, growl, jump - that's all I deal with now!
We are going through the same thing with our 10 week old Payton. She's biting everything! I tried the "OUCH" and ignoring her, but it didn't work. Now I say in a firm voice NO BITE and if necessary I'll grab her snout. If there is a toy around I shove that in her mouth.

Lately she's started this thing of growling when we don't play. If she's biting and we put her down, she'll growl. If we try to hold her snout she'll growl. She's even growling if we pick her up when she's playing or if she's been on our lap and wants down and we don't let go soon enough!

And jumping is all she does when she's excited or wants to play. She'll jump up and bite our pants or shirt. I've gotten to the point that when she tries to jump up on me I'll put my knee out to block her and tell her NO JUMP!

It was so bad the other day when my son came home from school, that he was in tears when I got home. We realize she's been in the kennel most of the day since we are at work or school, and just wants to play, but she can be relentless. Yesterday he had to put her back in the kennel just so she would stop biting him. I love her to death, but I wish this stage was over!

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
Consistency is the key. With Lucy, Bart would sometimes let her do things that I wouldn't and vice versa (but mostly him), and she took a long time to learn. With Dory, we both are more consistent, and she's learning some things faster. She also has an awesome big sister to learn from though.

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
Well there's a reason they are so darned adorable when they are young or we'd really loose it with them! Griff was the WORST with that when he was a pup.

More training helps - teaching sit/down/leave it. Just keep going with it and yes - baby gates or the crate help when you've had enough. Just like little kids, they get worse when they need a nap.

I finally resorted to a coffee can with coins and giving it a bit of a rattle when Griff started to be naughty. It does become less and less especially after they finally loose those horrendous puppy teeth. I can remember saying "do I have to get the can?" to him when he was younger and it got to the point when that was all I had to say for him to stop.

He's 3 now - the can is empty and I don't even know where it is any more. Don't need it - the days for using it are long gone and I don't miss them at all!

Hang in there!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts