Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my day so far: Got up at 4:45 to start the day. It was raining, so I wasn't willing to walk the dogs. Felt nauseous from the smell of dead rats in the attic. Did a couple of miles of running on the treadmill on the covered patio. Took Julia to school, then walked the dogs, as the rain had stopped.

Developed a headache. Orkin guy came and removed 2 dead rats, said there are still plenty of traps in the attic. Still feeling a bit nauseous. Left for work, but soon remembered I hadn't closed the door to my bathroom where I keep the kitchen trash can when the dogs aren't confined to one room. Went back home (was gone maybe 5-7 minutes). Found Tia snarfing down the last piece of a chicken carcass I had baked Sunday evening. Cleaned up the mess from the floor, but didn't stop to mop (that's for after work). Still have a headache. Mila is usually the first to get into the trash, but she was on her bed. Tia was the bad one this time. Finally got to work.

Things can only get better from here, right?????:yuck::crossfing

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Visualize those beautiful red rocks of Sedona and the smell of the pines in Prescott..... certainly that will help. Getting back to the routine of daily living is the pits, isn't it???

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Visualize those beautiful red rocks of Sedona and the smell of the pines in Prescott..... certainly that will help. Getting back to the routine of daily living is the pits, isn't it???
It sure is. I think it will take a long time to get that dead rat smell out of my nose (not to mention the house). I'm going to go over all my photos as soon as I get time, pick out my top 4-5 favorites, and have enlargements made for my office. At least I'll have something nice to look at while at work.

And I've been asked to submit photos from NM and AZ for a photo exhibit at our local golf course bar and grill. I'll submit a bunch of pictures, and a friend of mine who is overseeing the process will make the final selection. If he picks some of Julia's pictures, her name will appear near the exhibit, too.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. The sun is out, and it's warming up (59 so far). I went outside for a few minutes to clear my head, which helped. And my headache is almost gone. So things are improving.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Glad to hear things are improving for you! Just because a day starts bad doesnt mean it has to continue in that direction, right? : )

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
LOL, I just hope you don't come home to the results of her scarfing down the chicken! Then you'll have to do more than mopping....

Sorry it was such a cruddy start. I hate the puke, poop, pee filled mornings. Especially if I step in one of them before getting my slippers on.

·
Mom to 1 Human & 1 Dog
1,045 Posts
UGH! What a day! As a fellow headache sufferer- smells bother me, too. How about Vick's Vaporub (sp?) under your nostrils? I know, not much better, but at least it would be a different smell! Good luck! I hope things get better as the day goes on...

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
We had something die in one of our walls a few years ago and it was the most horrid smell. I tried everything. The one thing that ended up helping was a product I bought at Home Depot in the household cleaning section. Don't know what it was called, but it was a mesh baggy filled with volcanic "pebbles". They really absorb the odor without any smell itself. Since we couldn't get in the wall, I just put one under the couch near that wall. Every few months you can put them in the sun for a few hours to reactivate them. Now I use them in musty closets..... real life savers. I can literally make myself ill just thinking of that smell. BTW, years ago we had a rat problem in the attic and they used a bait up there that had an anticoagulant and formaldehyde..... really gross, but the rats ate it, bled out internally and then dried up.... no smell. Worked wonderfully well with no smell.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The house does smell better, except for the smell of the air freshener Julia bought yesterday. It's not a bad smell (definitely better than dead rats), but is a bit strong.

Rats are such disgusting creatures! I have nothing against domestic rats, but roof rats are huge and just gross.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Glad to hear your day got better. Sunshine works wonders for me too!
I have bats in my belfry! Well, attic really. We're tryig to get rid of them. Cleaning up after those is truly gross and nauseating! They live in their poop! I love critters, but some should just live outside whre they belong!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts