Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's true that in NJ and OR that you can't pump your own gas? You have to have an attendant do it? That's so weird. What are the reasons for it, anyone know?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From Wikipedia (which yes, isn't always the most reliable of references.):

"All stations in New Jersey and Oregon offer only full service and mini service; attendants are required to pump gas because customers are barred by statutes in both states from pumping their own gas. New Jersey banned self-service gasoline in 1949 after lobbying by service station owners."

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I dunno... we stopped at some small station in the middle of no where.

I know we pumped our own gas cuz that's when I got out of the car and put a ding in the door and my ex snapped out on me and told me I had to pay to have it fixed. (the dent was like the size of a dime...maybe smaller... he was a d-bag lol)

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I know it's that way in NJ...Darling son gets his gas there...cheaper than NY prices.

There was a time, boys and girls, when there was a little ropey thing that ran across the driveway to the station. When the car went over it, a bell rang in the station and the attendant came out to pump gas. While the gas was pumping he (they were all males) cleaned the windows, checked the oil and water and all for no tip. Just for the joy and pleasure of waiting on people. For many teen boys, it was their first job.

Of course, gas was 18 cents a gallon then too!

Ahh, the good old days....

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I was wondering if this was still true, never knew about NJ too. Back in '92 travelling x-country I stopped at a gas station in OR and proceeded to pump my own gas as usual. My god, a attendant came running out of the building towards screaming something and flailing his arms like the world was going to end. I found this very strange.

Stop! you can't do that! :hyper:

Do what?:confused:

Pump your own gas!:eek:

I assure I have been pumping my own gas for a while...pretty easy...:eclipsee_

No, No, it is against the law!:nono:

Huh?:moreek: seriously? :crazy: Well ok, here you go...fill 'er up for me.:eek::curtain::sorry:

I still get a laugh out of it today, the attendant thought it not so funny. I was also pulled over for no reason by the cops out there too. Do you know why I pulled you over? No officier. You are missing your front license plate. Ummmm, in Massachusetts we only have one plate. He let me go after checking that out. This fall a NH cop whipped around and flew up on my tail, he backed off quick after seeing my old MA plate, hehe. My state changed to 2 plates many years ago now, but I am grandfathered out of it. Love my one license plate, still have the same one :D

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
In Oregon it is true. My sister went to school there and I have visited there. My understanding is that they do it to create jobs since the state has high unemployment..or something like that.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Of course, gas was 18 cents a gallon then too!

Ahh, the good old days....
You have a few years on me. Wish I could have gone to one of the old burger joints and have a cute girl on roller skates come up to my car for my order. Happy Days they must have been. I remember dad combing his hair back with oily type stuff. He was also fond of Aqua velva (smelled like gasoline or something) and Schlitz beer.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Cops can be silly... this never happened to me, but has happened A LOT to people with the same car as I had.

The license plate was on the front on the side, and cops would pull them over for not having a front plate and they're like "Uhh, its right there"

Then the cops would notice it on the left side on the front then walk back and be like "Ok.... you can go"

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Yeah, my friend moved to MA from New Jersey and once I gave him a hard time about how they didn't trust NJ people to pump their own gas. He replied that they don't trust people in MA to purchase beer on Sundays (back then). Every state has it's idiosyncrasies!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts