Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting down waiting for Penny's Dad to get home; taking a look thru the Ikea catalog and then BAM, paw in my lap. How rude is that!!! ;)

She took me to the front door and said "I want to go out and wait for Dad". Plain as day, clear as a bell: "I want to go out".

Being the well-trained mom that I am, of course I let her out. Postivie reinforcement, right?

·
Registered
103 Posts
that is so cute! the breeder we went thru, her dogs would do that! we would be sitting there talking to "her" and bam right in the mid section a huge doggie paw, like hey! arnt you here to talk to me!!!
i love it!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
I am so glad you are attentive to her suggestions! Haaaa! When I don't pay Kye the attention she is wanting, WHEN she is wanting it, she jumps up behind my chair and puts her paws around my shoulders and butts my head with her face. Sometimes, if she thinks I need to be motivated into action she will lick my head. Know this is wrong but love the puppy hug and sure enough the uckiness of having a dog lick your head gets me up and eventually playing.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
We had an in-home trainer come by after we adopted Barkley (at age 6) to help us train him (actually refresh his training). Our old 13 1/2 year old Golden Beau communicated very well through his paws and struggled to go over to where the trainer was sitting and started pawing him to say hi. This dufus started chastising us about it and telling us we needed to stop that behavior immediately because it was dominant behavior. This dog did not have a dominant bone in his body, totally gentle creature inside and out. I looked at him like he grew horns on his head and reminded him that Beau was 13 1/2 years old and that we hired him for Barkley. I thought hubby was going to throw the guy out of the house! We did not use this guy for training Toby!

Our Beau was effective at using the paw to communicate. His favorite target was our pantry door where we kept his treats. We left town one weekend and one of our friends stayed in our house to sit for him while she worked on a thesis. When we got back she asked us why he kept on going to the pantry door pawing it every time she was in the kitchen. The answer--that's where his treats are stored!

Barkley and Toby use(d) their muzzles more--the Golden "nudge". Toby was doing it yesterday to his ophthalmologist as he was typing into the computer. The doc usually gives Toby treats after invading his eyes and poking/prodding him, but forgot and was busy typing away when he got the Golden nudge--he thought it was funny! What he didn't see was Toby first went over to where the treats were and pointed at them with his head, his other favorite way of showing us what he wants.

·
flykelley
675 Posts
I miss the paw and the nose poke, Katie use to do both of them all the time if she wanted something. Lilly might sit there and look at you but no paw. Im not sure she is a golden now that I think about it. ;)

Mike

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I miss the paw and the nose poke, Katie use to do both of them all the time if she wanted something. Lilly might sit there and look at you but no paw. Im not sure she is a golden now that I think about it. ;)

Mike
I'd suggest an immediate vet visit for Lilly's lack of pawing/nosing...it sounds extremely serious and something you want to address ASAP if not sooner ;););)
(teasing of course)

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
LOL,pawing is NOT dominant,it's just attention seeking!.
Gosh,this is another of my pet peeve:not everything is about dominance.
My golden did that and funnily enough my Hovas.
They,also,always did it when I was holding a cup of coffee. which made me spill a lot of coffee.
Priska did another thing that made me laugh:If I had a fleece coat on and I stopped to talk to someone,after about 10 mns or so,she would start mouthing it as if to say:LET"S GO!.
I would never correct this behavior cos I find them,endearing!.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Haa, I agree! This is part of being a golden to me along with the greeting with a houmongus (sp??) toy in their mouth. Know it is not good, but honestly it warms my heart when the pups take time to "nose" me. And the paw in the middle of the page of the book I was trying to read, gets me up and playing every time!

My dogs are starting to figure out that the pantry holds their treats and will go sit in front of it. No pawing yet, but know it will come.

Penny's Mom, guess you don't need her paperwork to know she is a Golden and you are loved.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Don't believe dominance has anything to do with it either. They can't talk so this is their way. Love it and I laugh much more now!

·
Registered
103 Posts
we had a dog behavior expert in our house ($150.00 hourly rate, mind you) to help us with our first dogs aggression, and problems walking, (he would drag his feet to the point of bleeding even with shoes on that were reinforced with duct tape), she tried to tell us that it was our julie that was making him aggressive and she was making him so scared to go out for a walk thats why he would walk like that!! she also said that we should be working with julie because she shows too much dominance (the paw, the nudge and the jumping on the couch so she can snuggle closer) julie is the most layed back dog you will ever meet! she loves every one and and most dogs. we got her because we thought it would help our guy calm down and maybe accept more people into his life.
when that lady told us that we kindly asked her to leave. she obviously had no idea what she was talking about! she still charged us.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, Penny is proud of how well I'm doing!

It looks like your training is progressing very well.;)
For all those dominance idiots out there I have this question: Everybody wants their dogs to bark or signal in some obvious way that they need to go out or come in. When they do, the human is supposed to jump and run to open the door. So....couldn't that also be construed as dominance? People are nuts.

I'm very happy that Penny feels free to 'talk' to me with the skills she has. People just don't understand how much dogs can talk to us if we would just shut up and listen. Horses too! ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes, Penny is proud of how well I'm doing!

For all those dominance idiots out there I have this question: Everybody wants their dogs to bark or signal in some obvious way that they need to go out or come in. When they do, the human is supposed to jump and run to open the door. So....couldn't that also be construed as dominance? People are nuts.
my puppy is training me like Pavlov's dog, he rings a bell when he needs to go out!!! lol
he is way tooooo dominate!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh ya, way too dominant. Goldens will be the next 'bully' breed only they bully their humans with cuteness and smiles! And the occasional paw. :wavey:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts