Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home for lunch, as usual and let the dogs out. Then I started getting my lunch together, but walked to the back door to let Danny and Jasper back in because they normally just pee and then come right back to the door. But there were no dogs at the back door. So I whistled. Nothing. So I went out on the back deck and looked at the gate. It was wide open!

Now, we live in a busy residential neighborhood with a lot of traffic. I can take Jasper out front off leash, but not Danny and certainly not both because I worry that they will get to chasing each other and run out into the road.

So my heart stopped. I whistled and called "C'mon boys" and turned to tell my husband to go out the front door. And then Danny came flying back through the gate with Jasper on his heels. Thank goodness my boys come when they are called! They had been out for about 5 minutes, so I was sure they had gone exploring, but obviously they hadn't.

Then I came in and asked my husband who left the *bleeping* gate open and he says, "probably me". What???!!! We have lived her for 7 1/2 years. We don't leave the gate open! He is so lucky they came back unharmed!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
Yes, that would have given me a heart attack as well. Thank goodness they came back all safe and sound. I lost sight of my puppy last night for about 10 minutes...what a horrible gut wrenching feeling!!!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
That happened to me once. I didn't realize the gate was open when I let Jacey out the back door. A couple of minutes later I looked out and saw it was open and went running outside. Of course she wasn't in the fenced in area and I didn't see her anywhere else in the back yard so I went back in and headed out the door that's connected to my garage and there she sat...lol.

Glad to hear they came running back when you called them.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
That would have scared me too. I'm sure my family thinks I'm nuts because I'm paranoid about the doors/gates being closed but too bad for them. So glad the boys came back when you called.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Men hey?

Ticket is my wandering 'fool' and if he's not watched he'll just head off, doesn't take him long. I don't know how many times I got the 'he was right there, then....' line, or the I was busy for a second and figured he wouldn't go tooo far.... Let's just say there's a reason we have an attached dog run with a dog door that goes out to it. Less risk!

We still had the 'do NOT take the garbage out of the can in the kitchen unless you are committed to hauling all the way to the back and out the gate lesson over the holidays. Taking a bag of kitchen garbage, knotting up the top and hauling to the inside of the gate and leaving it there, so I don't see it and let the boarding dogs out for a pee/break and having them get into it is not helpful!!!!!!

Lana

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm glad they came back when called! That happened to me before too, but when I ran to go look for him, Dodger was standing at the front door. Its so scary!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I couldn't see where they were because I was on the back deck, but I am assuming they were at my car, hoping to go back to work with me (they have spent the last three days at work with me while our roof was being replaced) or on the front porch. Obviously they didn't go far.

It used to be my son who would leave the gate open. He just 'fessed up to me a few weeks back that he let the dogs out back around midnight one night when he was cleaning the litterboxes. He had left the gate wide open and both Jasper and Danny were in the front yard. Of course, there's not much traffic at midnight, but he's lucky he didn't tell me about it right after it had happened!

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Very glad they came running back at your call. My heart would have stopped too. Isn't it amazing how many awful things run through your mind in that split second of seeing the gate open?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Thank goodness they came when you called. I would have freaked out too if that happened. Give them boys some extra cookies for being so smart and the hubby a smack on the head with a newspaper for leaving the gate open.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I gave them both super big hugs and kisses and told them how wonderful they were. My husband is lucky I didn't whack him with a newspaper, or worse!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
OMG, I would have had a heart attack too. Amazing how fast everything can take a turn for the worse.

I can send you one of my 'creek rocks'. They're for hitting husbands upside the head.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
My runner was my first Golden, Rusty. I attribute it to him growing up free-range on a Farm for his first year. This was back in the late 80's.

We'd be out in my Land-Lady's open, spare lot that was about an acre in size. We'd play ball toss, rope toss, wrestle around, and all of a sudden when bringing the ball, rope or whatever to me he would stop about 15-20 feet away, and drop it.

And he'd give me that 'eye'.

Me: "Don't you do it"

Rusty: turns around and looks in the other direction, takes a few steps, and turns his head and looks back at me.

Me: "Don't you do it!"

Rusty: Takes a few more steps, stops, and turns his head and looks at me.

Me: "Rusty, get your furry behind back over here!"

Rusty: Gone.

Me: "Son of a ....."

Off I go in the pickup, figuring out where in the neighborhood he has taken off to today.

·
idabwmn
1,055 Posts
I purchased a training whistle, my husband thought I was crazy. It is LOUD you can hear it over just about anything and it carries at a long distance.

It did not take too long to teach Millie and Pearl to come to it. Millie had the rude habit of running at people or dogs barking like she was crazy mean (we tried to break her but never did) She would get close and then be the most loving dog you have ever seen. Well unfortunately Pearl picked up on this naughty habit but she only did it when she was with Millie.

Any ways I always carry this with me when we go for our walks and I have it hanging by the door if I want to call them in at home. We have two acres electronic fenced. One blow stops them in their tracks, they come right to me and sit. Even when they are barking or it is noisy they can hear it.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I can just feel that wonderful moment when those two came running up!!

not only are they home safe, but they are very good dogs to come

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
My DH has done that before. So grateful my boys just come and sit at the front door and act like WTH? It always concerns me though because Gunner doesn't like strange dos so if one happened to be going by when he was out alone, it wouldn't be good.

Luckily this time of year not many people are out and about. So glad your pups are OK.

·
Registered
425 Posts
My friend had a tragic experience a few weeks ago with his rottweiler getting out. He glanced around the yard and didn't see the dog, so he called and his dog came running to him just as a car drove by. The dog was hit and killed. I share this story just to say that if you don't know where your dogs are, rather than just calling them, check for cars first and look a bit to see if you can see where they are. He says his dog was generally pretty good about cars. If he hadn't called him, the dog probably would have been okay. I can't even imagine how difficult that would be.

Don't mean to put a damper on things, just hoping to share a tip that might help keep a dog safe.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am so sorry for your friend and his dog!

I don't believe that my dogs left the driveway because they came so fast. But your warning is a good one!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts