Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My black Lab works as a breeder for a service dog organization. Her first litter of pups is four and a half weeks old, so we started weaning several days ago. At first there was some, but not a lot, of interest in the kibble mush. Several days later, there’s a lot of interest. After eating kibble mush, the puppies have milk dessert from Maisy. Their bellies get so full from the mush and top off from Maisy’s milk that I worry several will explode! But those puppy bellies are adorable.

And teeth have arrived. Oy! So much redirection every time they nibble on me or my clothes. We’re not allowed to have them lick us, either. So, of course, for a couple of them that’s their favorite thing. It’s much easier to correct the nibbles because they hurt, but it’s hard to correct the licking because it’s so cute. Nevertheless, excessive licking of people can get them disqualified from service dog training when they’re grown, so I don’t want to encourage a practice that the puppy raiser will have to break. I’d rather help the puppy raiser be able to focus on the 40 commands the puppies must learn by turn in at 20 months or so.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts