Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we just got a 7 week old golden retriever puppy to join our family we already have a 5 year old golden lab. Our new puppy Mr. puppy I think has autism but I can seem to find anything on the subject matter on line. Can anyone help me out on that? Any information would be appreciated. I thought he was deaf at first and that would explain why he would not come when he was called, and having a blank look on his face so my husband and I were prepared to use hand signals to train him. He seems really smart he has figured out going to the door when he needs to go and always want to go out when Cody goes out to potty. He was also since I got him would just sit and stare at things for what seems like forever and he has this look on his face like he waiting for something to connect upstairs. I do not have a complete medical his father because the people told the family I got him from that they wanted to remain anoyomous. All they can tell anyone is that "he is a expense hunting dog" well that tells me nothing. The mother all they will tell me is that her hips were checked and they never checked her eyes. He is going into the vet on monday so I hope that he can tell me more.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
wow, I have never heard of a dog having autism...do you think he has limited vision?? Have you tried calling him when you have a really good treat?? Gosh, I hope you can figure this out. I do know that kids with autism and be taught things. Please keep us informed...
Your puppy is in my thoughts and prayers...
I know we all would love to see pictures of your pup!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Puppies are like children, and if they are busy, they will act like they are deaf.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
He could also be having focal seizures. I would ask the vet about it. Can you take a video of him acting this way? I think that might be very helpful. Good luck, I hope everything works out.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Puppies are like children, and if they are busy, they will act like they are deaf.

That's what I was going to say. Even now at 2 years old mine sometimes goes deaf when I'm telling him to do something that he doesn't wanna hear lol

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Huh, I have no idea, but I will keep you in my thoughts. Please keep us updated.

·
16,000 Posts
You need to enroll in a good Puppy Kindergarten class... Puppies do not come knowing how to come when called, or respond to a name that is brand new to them. At 7 weeks, his eyesight is still not what it will be as an adult, and because puppies are SO easily distracted, "hearing" you is going to depend on whether or not there is something more interesting that he'd rather pay attention to. IT IS ALL NORMAL. Autism is debated as far as whether or not it is identifiable in canines, and the science leans towards no.
Please look into a good puppy training class - you and Mr. Puppy will benefit greatly.

*Remember, too, that the handling and socialization that he received while still with the breeder is critical to his development.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Autism is a human issue where the individual has problems with social interaction and communication skills. It doesn't always equate with IQ.

You have a young puppy in a brand new environment, where he doesn't know the language or the customs. He may just be overwhelmed.

If you are still concerned about hearing, ask your vet for a BAER test for hearing, though you can do a quick test by banging pans together out of his sight and look for a reaction.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
7 weeks is still young, his eyes might be adjusting. If you want to check hearing to the tin can test. Put a few rocks in a can and shake. If he turns...he can hear. A puppy is pretty much sleep and play at this age....oh and eat.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Pointgold's post is dead on. The most likely thing is simply that he doesn't understand what you're trying to say yet.

Less common, but still possible, would be issues with sight or hearing. Some kind of "canine autism" would be extraordinarily unlikely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone for your support and suggestions we will be visiting with the vet tomorrow and I will update everyone with what I find out. Thank you again

Cody06's mom

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
When did you get the puppy? And do you have any idea about his life before you got him? A puppy that has a bad or very un-enriched life (not to mention problems that may have occurred when he was in uetero) before he is seven weeks old may have developmental problems. What you do say about the parents (that the stud is anonymous) make him sound as if he was not from a reputable breeder, which may increase the possibility that his very early life was poor.

To help, I would recommend that you be patient, and expose him to tons of new stuff every day. The window for accepting new things closes around or shortly after 13 weeks, so you can help him greatly if you get to work now.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
A puppy with autism, really? I've never heard of such a thing. Keep us posted on what the vet says. I'm interested to know if this is possible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts