Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hudsen, born 8-23-09
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hudsen is 4 months old and I crate him at night and during the day while I'm at work. I come home and let him out after four hours. He only had 2 or 3 accidents in the crate and that was during his first two weeks home (about 6 weeks ago). I'm still using the divider as I bought a large crate. When do you think I can take out the divider? He is pretty much potty trained (rings bell or whines by the door to go out), but I don't want him to regress and start having accidents in the crate if I take out the divider.

Also, I feel bad crating him at night since I work and have to crate him during the day. Do you think it is a bad idea to let him start sleeping with me or do you think he is too young still? I'm just afraid he will get up and chew everything while I'm asleep. When did everyone stop using the crate at night or altogether?

Any advice would be great! :)

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Resist the urge to make the crate too big too soon. It should be just big enough for him to turn around. Pups feel safer in a smaller area than a large one.

As for sleeping with you out of the crate: I started letting Oakly sleep with me at about 5 months and he was fine. Be sure to good safety check of your bedroom first though.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I never did divide Hank's crate and I have the extra-large airline-type crate. He's 5.5 mos. and pretty well uses the whole area. It sounds like Hudsen is housebroke, so I'd take the divider out so he has more room.

Since you don't want to crate him at night, is it possible that you can close the bedroom door and give only access to your room? Or gate off a laundry room or part of the kitchen?

·
lizandhector
158 Posts
Let me start by saying that I am no expert but i had to respond because I had the exact same concerns with our little Zoey when she was younger.

We kept the divider in until she was about 5 months old(about 45lbs). I guess it really depends on the size of your crate and the size of your golden. We constantly adjusted the size so that she had just enough room to turn around and strech. Everything we read about crates told us not to make it so big that she could "eliminate" in one corner then lye down on the other end.

We also felt terrible about crating her at night and then crating her again during the day while my wife and I were at work. We did this until she was about 4 1/2 months. At about 4 1/2 months, (and this is probably not the right thing to do) we basically let her sleep in our bedroom. At first it was tough because she would constatly wake us up wanting to play or wanting to go potty... but everytime she woke us up to play, we took her to her crate. After a few weeks she caught on that waking us up for anything other than a potty break resulted in a crating. Now, she sleeps through the night at the floor next to our bed. We really like the fact that she can sleep on the floor next to us. We had to puppy proof our room so that she couldnt chew anything while we were sleeping but that was worth it. We still crate her during the day though. We have started leaving her alone for about 15-30 minutes at a time and are hoping to build it up more soon.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I'd be careful about giving too much room too fast...if it's a wire crate, could you gradually inch it back give it some days (or week) & see how he does

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
If you have doubts, I think it's better to crate than not. Until recently all my dogs were crate while I was at work and at night. I just started letting my older three (2 5 year olds and a 6 year old) sleep loose at night. My rule for my Lhasa is he has to stay in the bed with me. If he gets off he goes back in the crate because I don't trust him not to get into stuff during the night. During the day all are still crated except the six year old which I just started letting stay out in the living room.

Flip is six months and not in my wildest dreams do I consider letting him out of his crate unsupervised! I don't think there's such a thing as enough puppy proofing for him (he can jump onto my counter). I get nervous about leaving him for the time it takes me to run to the bathroom or brush my teeth in the morning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sasha is 4.5 months and she is in a medium size crate. She has never had an accident in her crate. At night she is confined to a plastic square enclosure next to our bed and the enclosure is twice the size of her crate. She has never had an accident in there either. I plan on keeping her in the enclosure next to the bed at night for a very long time. It blows me away that some of you let them sleep with you. They are going to be big dogs. I think its great if it does not bother you.

·
Hudsen, born 8-23-09
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone! Lizandhec I like how you guys put Zoey in the crate if she woke you up to play. I can totally see Hudsen doing that. I think I'm going to wait a while before I let him sleep in my room- I just don't quite trust him yet and you all made good points :) I might take out the divider to give him a bit of room because I have aleady moved it back a few times (he is growing so fast) and he already has 3/4 of the crate now. He is about 36lbs. I will see how he does and if he has an accident I will put it back in. Thanks for all of you help.

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
Flip is six months and not in my wildest dreams do I consider letting him out of his crate unsupervised!... I get nervous about leaving him for the time it takes me to run to the bathroom or brush my teeth in the morning.
LOL! That is totally us and Oscar! Even if I KNOW he is asleep on the couch and I run to the bathroom, I am always thinking "Yes it's quiet... hmmm.... TOO QUIET"... completely sure he is getting into trouble... ;)

We still have Oscar sleeping in his crate at night; I think he would be fine to sleep in our bed with us all night -- but it's quite tight if he joins us for a nap in there already and he is still only 45 pounds! So for a while I think he'll be sleeping in his crate.

But, we also have a large wire crate, and we have given Oscar access to the whole thing for several months now, and he has never had an accident in it. He likes to sleep all stretched out so it seems like he likes it that way, but we do have it covered over so it doesn't feel too "exposed". The divider we had he just kept trying to nudge behind/chew on, so we gave up on that! :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
My lab pups are crated when I go to work in Xlarge 42" long crates with no dividers. Newspaper, puppy pads, a blanket and lots of safe toys and kongs. At night I keep them in my bedroom in a puppy pen at the foot of my bed that has a fluffy old quilt in it. No accidents from either one at night and they will whine if they have to go out in the middle of the night. Have tried letting them sleep on the bed but they jump down and roam around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts