Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
New Mommy
Joined
·
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My yard is like a petri dish, I don't think I will ever be able to let Jordan out again!:( This is the 2nd pan I collected last night in the front yard, never made it to the 2 side lawns. I am sure they are all back again today. We are having frost at night for God's sake.:doh:
 

Attachments

·
New Mommy
Joined
·
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my yard is the same way! im gonna try spraying them with vinegar. its a natural anti fungal. it might work. i hate mushrooms too!
I think Jordan would think vinegar soaked mushrooms were ever more of a delicacy:doh: Please let me know if it works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Uggghhh.......Mushrooms!

I hear you on the mushrooms. We have had mushrooms growing up under the pea gravel in the kennel, supposedly, from our oak trees (see attached pic before we move in). I noticed them popping up when cleaning up. I'm told they are NOT the oak truffles that can pull a whopping $US 2000 a kg. Boo hoo......I am still checking even after we have had freezing temperatures at night :no:.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,336 Posts
Fortunately, mushrooms only pop up now and then, and the underground network of fungal threads (mycelium) that lives out of sight is very beneficial for the soil. Most mushrooms are not toxic and I would recommend taking them to your local university for identification.

If indeed you have mundane mushrooms that are not a health threat I would just ignore them. We get them now and then and our dog sniffs them and walks on by.
 

·
New Mommy
Joined
·
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I counted 14 different types, from bright orange to black, 1/8 of an inch to 5 inches. I have lived here for 25+ years and never had a problem like this. Jordan would eat any of them !:yuck:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,937 Posts
We had a bumper mushroom crop this year as well. Fortunately, I have an older crew who is not interested in eating them... they just roll in leaves and gross things to make up for it. Georgie looks like "Pig Pen" form Peanuts when he comes in... with 30 leaves stuck to his feathers and an "aura" of dirt around him. Tonight, I put the vacuum to him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,210 Posts
That's awful! I know it is scarey since Jordan endulged a few months ago. Puppies can get into things so quickly!
 

·
Knife Swallower
Joined
·
6,783 Posts
That's an insane amount of mushrooms! We had a few in the summer and stupid me, didn't think about it at all since Ranger never showed any interest. Then I saw Scout gobbling one down. :doh::uhoh: I looked it up online and was pretty sure it was non-toxic, then I threw it in a pot of water to double check. Kept an eagle eye on him and he was fine, thank goodness. I went out and picked them all the next day and then kept on top of it when Scarlett was around.

Here's hoping they get killed off with the cold weather soon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Having the same problem too.
However, Bailey seems to be fussy about his mushrooms. He ignores the mushrooms in our garden but when we're walking he bolts for the field to hunt them down. As I haven't yet found a high enough value reward to coax him away from them he has to stay on his lead for now :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,245 Posts
We've had a mushroom problem, even in our excessive drought. We lost a Bradford pear several years ago to a freak summer storm. We had the tree "professionally" removed (including stump) and unfortunately they didn't get all the roots. They are decaying and causing an extreme mushroom issue. Hubby was watering the lawn a lot this summer to save it and the mushrooms took over. The neighborhood "expert" put something on it that was supposedly natural (cornmeal?) but I'm not sure that helped too much.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,753 Posts
That is a lot of mushrooms. You should call in an organic gardener and let them have at it. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
@Ranger - I looked it up online and was pretty sure it was non-toxic, then I threw it in a pot of water to double check.

How does throwing it in a pot of water tell you if it is toxic? Color change?? Thanks :wavey:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
That's an insane amount of mushrooms! We had a few in the summer and stupid me, didn't think about it at all since Ranger never showed any interest. Then I saw Scout gobbling one down. :doh::uhoh: I looked it up online and was pretty sure it was non-toxic, then I threw it in a pot of water to double check. Kept an eagle eye on him and he was fine, thank goodness. I went out and picked them all the next day and then kept on top of it when Scarlett was around.

Here's hoping they get killed off with the cold weather soon!
at least up here they're covered under snow or frost 3/4 of the year lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,465 Posts
We have our fair share of mushrooms in the tree'd areas of our property.

So far the dogs have had no interest in them. They'd rather lay out in the sunny grass and chew sticks.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top