Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone out there using Comfortis??

For years we have had no flea problems, but this year seems to be different. I noticed Merlin was kind of itchy but could never find any fleas on him. Last week I used flea shampoo on Merlin, our foster and even the cat (NOT fun) and saw no fleas come off. Three days later I treated them all with Frontline. Last night Merlin was chewing at his back leg again so I sat down with the flashlight and started looking around through his fur. I found some red spots where he has been chewing and guess what....a flea!

I'm going to call the vet today and see if we can use Comfortis. I don't really like the thought of using it, but if we can for 2-3 months to get things under control, maybe we can go back to Frontline. Advantix doesn't work on Merliin either and it makes him smell really bad (weird!).

The LAST thing I want is a hot spot, so I did treat the red areas last night with gold bond and gave him some benedryl.

Poor Sunny just had her cataract surgery and I don't want her to be itchy either....since she can't scratch! She's in the cone for 2 weeks. :(

I hate friggin' fleas!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
We had a really bad time with fleas last year. Frontline just wasn't cutting it.
I used Comfortis for 2 - 3 months until we got he little boogers under control. My vet said Comfortis works through the fat cells instead of the skin and I could use it even though I had used frontline a couple of weeks before. It worked and we got rid of the fleas.
It has rained a lot this spring. We were in severe/extreme drought for the last three years so we need the rain, but the fleas seem to like it too.
When Copper gets itchy and hot spots seem iminent, I wash him in a povidone/iodine shampoo you get from the feed and seed/tack store (it's for horses). It really seems to keep him from developing hot spots. If you use it, do a small area first to make sure Merlin isn't sensitive to it. None of mine have been. Not even the sensitive skinned arab I wash.:D
Hope your killing spree is a rousing success!

·
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! That's exactly how I was hoping to use Comfortis....a few months to get things under control.

I just talked to the vet and he suggested using Capstar first, then going to Comfortis. Capstar kills the fleas instantly? Did you use this too, or go straight on Comfortis? When you used the Comfortis how long did it take before you saw results? Thanks!

We had a really bad time with fleas last year. Frontline just wasn't cutting it.
I used Comfortis for 2 - 3 months until we got he little boogers under control. My vet said Comfortis works through the fat cells instead of the skin and I could use it even though I had used frontline a couple of weeks before. It worked and we got rid of the fleas.
It has rained a lot this spring. We were in severe/extreme drought for the last three years so we need the rain, but the fleas seem to like it too.
When Copper gets itchy and hot spots seem iminent, I wash him in a povidone/iodine shampoo you get from the feed and seed/tack store (it's for horses). It really seems to keep him from developing hot spots. If you use it, do a small area first to make sure Merlin isn't sensitive to it. None of mine have been. Not even the sensitive skinned arab I wash.:D
Hope your killing spree is a rousing success!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
That's so weird, because I was in SC over the weekend and Milly came home all itchy. I thought it was from going to a groomer and them not rinsing her all the way, but then I gave her another bath myself and found some black spots (can't tell if they are fleas or dirt), and ordered Capstar. Unfortunately, I didn't have the Capstar in time, and she had some hot spots crop up on her bum... I had to shave a significant portion over her lower back (to the base of her tail) in order to treat the hot spots. She is seeming less and less itchy each day.

·
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bet you'll never come back to SC! :eek:

Poor Milly! I'm sorry she got hot spots! That's what I am worried about here too. I gave Merl some Benedryl last night and this morning and I hope it helps keep things calmed down until the capstar starts working.

That's so weird, because I was in SC over the weekend and Milly came home all itchy. I thought it was from going to a groomer and them not rinsing her all the way, but then I gave her another bath myself and found some black spots (can't tell if they are fleas or dirt), and ordered Capstar. Unfortunately, I didn't have the Capstar in time, and she had some hot spots crop up on her bum... I had to shave a significant portion over her lower back (to the base of her tail) in order to treat the hot spots. She is seeming less and less itchy each day.

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
Can you give Capstar and Comfortis? Capstar would kill any adult fleas present, the Comfortis would keep them off. Frontline Plus will kill the eggs and larvae.

That's a lot of chemicals to put in a dog though.

·
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for confirming that Carol, that's what my vet said too though I am uncomfortable giving both in one day! I did give the capstar and hour or so ago, and I think tonight I'll give the comfortis.

Unfortunately I can't give my foster anything for a week, per her vet. But she's not itchy like Merlin is anyway.

Looking at the Capstar website yes you can give both the same day http://www.capstar.novartis.us/dogs/qa.htm#2
My rescue uses the Comfortis for all the dogs. It is so much easier to give.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
My vet loves Comfortis and says she and the other vets in the office have been waiting for a product like that for ages. I've thought about trying it but the cost is holding me back.

·
3 goldens
11,695 Posts
I LOVE Comfortis. I had used Frontline and Frontline Plus for years and it worked so well-----til a couple of years ago. Then in 10 days to 2 weeks after appliction, they would have fleas. I used Advantix for a few mnths, then the same thing.

Last Aug. Honey had fleas and and she had them bad. I gave her a Capstar and sprayed the house and yard the same day. Two days later I gave her a Comfortis and one week later sprayed the house and yard again. I gave her another in Oct. and we never saw another flea all winter. I gave her in March as it was getting "flea seasn and another in April but hae not given on this moneth and still no fleas.

It doesn't work against ticks, but is great for fleas. I still have 2 of the 6 left that I got the end of Aug lat year---and haven't seen a flea. We live on sand and rae surround by live oak, sycamore and pine trees fll of squirrels, and get visits from possums all the time. Still no fleas.

·
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My vet loves Comfortis and says she and the other vets in the office have been waiting for a product like that for ages. I've thought about trying it but the cost is holding me back.
Yup, it's costly! For a 6 month supply it was $88. But it's worth it to get this under control.

·
Retired bum..........
1,105 Posts
I used Advantix for several years but then it quit working. Vet said that can happen so she recommended Comfortis. My girl has been on it for several months and it is working very well. It is actually a little cheaper than what I had been paying.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts