Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:wavey: Hello from Virginia!

I have had dogs my whole life and while I always enjoyed them... I was never even close to being "in love" or obsessed with them. I used t wonder about "those guys" who felt soooo strong about an ol dog. man... I just don't know how or what happened! Charlie came into my world and nw.. i am worse than any of those i once raised a brow at! I have never loved like i love him and I feel great guilt over NOT treating all of my past dogs like i treat him. It sickens me.

Born & Raised in Los Angeles California, I joined the Army at eighteen years of age. After four years as an Army Paratrooper, I joined the Los Angeles Police Department and enjoyed a career fighting crime, up close and personal on the mean streets of L.A. After thirteen years, I survived a serious, on the job car accident broke my neck and back and forced me into early retirement. I spent the next twelve years as a Federal criminal Investigator and firearms/tactics instructor. I now live in Virginia and own/operate Last Man Standing Tactical, firearms instruction.
In 2007, my beautiful wife Anh decided that she had to have a Golden Retriever. I fought hard to talk her out of it, pointing out the expense of a new fence, the fur issues in the house, the hassle of a pet in general, etc. She never backed down and I h=gave in on the condition that the dog would be hers and hers alone. I did not want anything to do with any ol dog! When Charlie came home I tried very hard to not get to know him. The rest is literally folklore around here! Fast forward to today and people know that I would hack off my own arm with a peanut butter knife without question, if it would bring a moment of joy to the king of all kings… Charlie….. my best and truest pal.
Charlie has changed the way that I view life. So much so that..... Brace yourselves..... I can't even go fishing anymore because I feel sad for the fish!!! There... I said it!:doh: Yea... it's really THAT bad!

Anyway... sorry for the rant but I had to get it out and just in case your wondering... yes... there is a 110 lb Golden ball of love laying upon my feet as I write this and yes.... I will kiss him on his black rubber lips after I enter this :smooch:

Attachments

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
Well leave it to a golden to turn even a tough guy into a lovey dovey doggie daddy. My Dad is the same way. He wouldn't even get out of his chair because he didn't want to wake up the kitten sleeping in his lap. For every bit of love you give an animal you get it back times ten and I think that is a lesson well learned by you. I love the pictures. Charlie is a very handsome boy who looks like he loves you just as much as yiou love him.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Hi from Janine, Chester and Murphy in Maryland. Love your story (all except the part about hacking off your arm with a peanut butter knife) :) We are big softies around our home when it comes to our dogs as well and my husband is the worst. Stick around the forum we are a fun bunch!!!

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
what a wonderful intro! And welcome to the world of loving doggies! And, that's meant in BOTH senses of the word! :)

Reactions: Airborne80

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Welcome to the forum and your senses....lol. Charlie is adorable. My husband had the same attitude when we added our second golden Jazz. He said he would have nothing to do with her etc. Guess who loves and adores her....hehe

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,196 Posts
Welcome to you and the wonderful world of sharing your life with a Golden. Charlie is absolutely beatiful. Can defintiely tell from your words and in the pictures how much he's loved and means to you and your family, just as it should be IMO.

I saw in one of your posts that you had been stationed at Ft. Bragg-it's about 2.5 hours west of me. My hubby is a Viet Nam Army Vet-he was assinged to the 101st but served in the 1st Armored Cav where he earned himself a Purple Heart which was his ticket home then served in the Army Reserves for several years following.

Enjoy the forum, thanks for sharing your life and the great pictures of Charlie.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Hi and welcome. I love your intro you have a way with words. I am so glad you have gotten to experience the joys of loving a dog. Charlie is so handsome and so lucky to have to you in his life.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you big softie, you. Charlie and your family is beautiful.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the kind words and understanding. I found this site long ago but only passed through, so to speak. After a couple of days of really looking through the site, i see that Charlie & I have found a second home:) What a great group of Goldens and associated humans:wavey:

regarding just how "Bad" I have the Charlie bug..... I will add this. My truck is now... his truck and his fur covers every inch of it. Once that would have bothered me but now... during the rare times when he is NOT in the truck with me... I see his fur and feel closer to him. Yea... its that bad hahah. Oh and... last year we bought a cabin on 12 acres up in the mountains along the border of Virginia & West Virginia....... who do you think the property really belongs to/ yep.... I will add a photo if I can of the iron cut out of Charlie that decorates the Cabin's roof apex with the words... "Charlie's Home". How sick is that hahahaha!

Thanks again for allowing me to show off my best pal. I never get tired if him and pictures of him. You know the deal :)
The second photo was taken when i came home from the hospital after a second shoulder surgery. You can see how Charlie was sticking by his wounded daddy :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Welcome! You have found the right place here at the golden retriever forums, where we are all "one of those guys (or gals)"! :) There is nothing like a fuzzy golden curled up at your feet to turn you into a true fan.

Black rubber lips - that made me laugh! I'm going to use that one...

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to you and the wonderful world of sharing your life with a Golden. Charlie is absolutely beatiful. Can defintiely tell from your words and in the pictures how much he's loved and means to you and your family, just as it should be IMO.

I saw in one of your posts that you had been stationed at Ft. Bragg-it's about 2.5 hours west of me. My hubby is a Viet Nam Army Vet-he was assinged to the 101st but served in the 1st Armored Cav where he earned himself a Purple Heart which was his ticket home then served in the Army Reserves for several years following.

Enjoy the forum, thanks for sharing your life and the great pictures of Charlie.

Thank you so much:) Yea... I loved my time at Bragg. of course it was a different time when your husband was there. Please express my gratitude for his service and for the injury that he sustained in the name of all of us. Airborne All The Way!

·
groobie peese n da lobe
10,181 Posts
Black rubber lips!!!!! That is hilarious. I kiss Buddy's lips at least 500 times a day. Just love those lips!!!!

You sound like my brother. I had Buddy before my brother got his dogs and he would always roll his eyes at me. He thought I was too obsessed :uhoh:

Well, he now has 2 goldens and he is "one of those guys". His car is a mess and he doesnt care. He found a whisker one day and stuck it up on the dash in an upright position, smiled and said....that will be there forever :doh: He said there is no better feeling than waking up in the middle of the night sandwiched between his 2 kids.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love the Golden Retriever Security sign! Where did you get that?
I am not sure but will try and find the place. I bought it off of an internt site....... come to think of it... it may have been eBay. I bought a few great onse...... "Parking For Golden Retriver Owners", stuff like that :) I am always doing word searches for "Golden Retriever" on Google, ebay, etc.

Reactions: BriGuy

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Black rubber lips!!!!! That is hilarious. I kiss Buddy's lips at least 500 times a day. Just love those lips!!!!

You sound like my brother. I had Buddy before my brother got his dogs and he would always roll his eyes at me. He thought I was too obsessed :uhoh:

Well, he now has 2 goldens and he is "one of those guys". His car is a mess and he doesnt care. He found a whisker one day and stuck it up on the dash in an upright position, smiled and said....that will be there forever :doh: He said there is no better feeling than waking up in the middle of the night sandwiched between his 2 kids.

Hahaha!:) I am HAPPY that somone else understands how fun it is to kiss those black rubber lips hahaha. everyone in our house loves Charlies lips and we kiss them often:) The whisker thing and your brother....... man.... I am fully on board with that action haha. I love to wake up with a huge Charlie Hoof hanging across my face :) What a great way to start any day.

·
I love my golden kids!
257 Posts
I loved reading your story. Welcome! Your pics are awesome. Those goldens sure do have a way of working themselves into our hearts... I'm on #3.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just in case you missed this insanity on the videos section:

:wavey::):bowl:

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
I have had much the same transformation over the last few years with my buddy......join the club:)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts