Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

I found him! (Stray story pt2)

5K views 63 replies 29 participants last post by  KaMu 
#1 · (Edited)
For those of you who don't know the story - Stray Story pt 1

I'd all but given up hope by noon today. I decided to try again, though, I still couldn't get him off my mind! I scoured all along the 10 miles or so of beach and to no avail. I was headed back home dejectedly when I spotted him near a restaurant/bar on the beach! With a little cheese and some patience I coaxed him to the truck and lifted him in the back. I'm surprised that he didn't protest to being picked up. I stopped by the groomers for a flea bath and man was he COVERED in bugs! Fleas, ticks, mites, and lice! You should have seen the pile of bugs in the sink. Gross!

At the vets office we discovered that he had intestinal parasites, roundworms and hookworms, yikes! He had an ear infection that was causing him pain and a large scab/sore on the outside of the ear where he'd been scratching at it. He was also covered in random sores and scrapes from where he had been itching at himself from all the bugs. There were some scabs on the face we are sure was from a fight with another dog. Vet said he will wait on shots since with the antibiotics and parasite treatment he doesn't want to overload the poor pup. The vet said he thinks the dog is around a year old and full grown. He is very skinny at 14 pounds. When I asked my vet what kind of dog he thought it might be he looked at me sarcastically and said "A Puerto Rican Terrier" :D

So right now he is being quarantined in a spare room upstairs. Which unfortunately means no attempts at potty training for a couple weeks. With all the bugs and the parasites he isn't going to see the outside of that door until the vet says so! Hubby is not keen on this. He thinks that any pee or poo in the stuff between the tile will "ruin" it and make it smell bad forever...*sigh* We will see. The dog ate some kibble and drank some water but I haven't seen a potty yet.

I am SO impressed with him. He is taking this all SO well! I didn't know what to expect but this level of calm and cooperation was not it. I'm sure I will see his true personality once he starts to feel better but still...for a Sato he has impressed me so far. He has mostly just been laying on the floor relaxing every time I go in the room. I am SO so happy I found him. You should see his silly happy face when I walk into the room. And how he sticks his butt up in the air when I scritch his shoulders.

Thanks to all who wished me the best and encouraged me! Your words really helped me along!

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm so happy that you found him! I was really sad when you said you went back and he wasn't there. You should try to get him to use puppy training pads so he doesn't go on the floor, but if he does tell your husband with some cleaner and a scrub brush it will clean right up.

#4 ·
Congrats! Bless you for taking in this little puerto Rican street dog. He looks content. I think his name should be littlest hobo - he'd even have a theme song!

I'm sure he'll be good to go in no time.

How are you dealing with the ringworm? Are you doing lyme dips? One of our shelters has been closed for 6 weeks due to Ringworm, 23 dogs and cats infected and almost all the staff. I brought it home a while back and gave it to the cat.

#6 ·
Brought tears to my eyes! Oh, the pictures of him and reading your story, my heart just swelled with happiness. This dog is so so lucky to have you in his life now. It sounds like he was probably pretty miserable with all of those bugs, I betcha he feels SO much better now.

Is it possible for you to maybe put down some sort of absorbent material on the floor so your hubby doesn't get so bothered about the dog going potty indoors?

I still think this dog is part golden retriever. He's got the feathering and it seems like he's got the temperament too! Flora sticks her butt up in the air when I scratch the middle of her back, it's so cute. ;)

#7 ·
OH OH I'm so sorry I meant to type ROUNDWORM not ringworm!! Oops. My bad!!

I'll be taking him back in two weeks to check on everything else, and possibly get vaccinations if his immune system is up to par.

Thank you everyone for your kind and encouraging words =))

Any tips or suggestions are welcome!! I'm still fairly new to most of this.

#8 ·
Thank you so much for not giving up and for rescuing this poor guy. He will reward you with so much love! What are you going to name him?

#12 ·
I think it's terrific that you were able to find him and that he is okay with it (not dh) I remember Vic (Buddy's mom) did the same thing, got the stray to the vet, shots, shampoo, grooming etc. and the dog took off back to the street after a day or two.... so wait awhile until you let him outside and watch him on a leash. The call of the wild can be strong.

Great news!!!!!
beth, moose and angel

#14 ·
Thank you soooo much for rescuing him. Can you get a piece of roll end vinyl flooring and cut it to the shape of the room to help protect your tile? Did you scan him for a microchip?

#15 · (Edited)
This might be a lot of work, but I would probably get one of those cheap swimming pools or something big enough for a doggy litter box. Fill it with something you can later on spread outside in your backyard to help transition the dog back into going potty outside when the time comes. Cedar shavings, for example.

As far as guessing what he is...

I see a lot of shepherd in him. That fabulous muzzle! Obviously because of the small size you are also factoring in a smaller breed like a terrier or spaniel...

I do think he's an adult because he has feathering.

But I think he looks young with those gangly legs. So your vet was probably right about a year old.

From this view I could even see some golden retriever in him.

The big eyes here make me think a little of greyhounds

#28 ·
This might be a lot of work, but I would probably get one of those cheap swimming pools or something big enough for a doggy litter box. Fill it with something you can later on spread outside in your backyard to help transition the dog back into going potty outside when the time comes. Cedar shavings, for example.
Doing a doggie litter box is a really good idea.

#18 ·
Scritch

I just love the name Scritch!!
I think you are MARVELOUS and SO GLAD YOU DIDN'T GIVE UP!

He is absolutely adorable and I do think he could have some Golden and Shepherd in him. I agree with whoever said put something inexpensive over the tiled floor so that it doesn't get in the grout. I will be praying your Hubby will open his heart.

#20 ·
I just wanted to chime in with the kudos to you! What a wonderful thing to do. Changing this little guys life for the better, whether it be with you or another loving home.....The best things in life are rescued!;)

#22 ·
I think he did okay. I have him some antihistamine this morning to help with the itchies. He was beside himself to see me this morning, so adorable <3. He had a BIG pee but no poop, which makes me think he isn't pleased about having to go inside.

His neck/tail feathering and color reminds me so much of a Golden. His nose makes me think Shepherd. His ears and eyes and size make me think spaniel, maybe Tibetan or something small. Who knows, either way he is GORGEOUS and I can't wait to see how he looks once he fills in!

So, aside from convincing the hubby to LIKE him, I've got to remember that he is allregic to the saliva of my Moms (pitts) and Dads (husky/malamutes) dogs. There is a very real chance that this dog could bother him. We shall see.

I've gathered from his behavior so far that he has a somewhat submissive personality. His tail is always down when he sees me or when I pet him (not tucked under, just down). He also almost -never- makes eye contact. He is not skittish or afraid of anything though. I guess 'cause he went to the school of hard knocks :p

Here are a couple more pics. Sorry about the quality they are all cell pics. Also, his ears are wet from the spray. Normally they are very feathery.

Shepherd nose

Golden color/fur

Looking spaniel-ish in the head/eyes in this one

Ahhhhh bliss <3

#23 ·
Oh he's just so cute! I agree with your breed assessment - I can see shepherd, retriever AND spaniel in different parts of him. His temperament sounds lovely, which convinces me he's part retriever. ;)

You are doing such a wonderful thing for him, giving him a home and treating him for his wounds, I can't thank you enough for taking him in. Even if in the end he doesn't woo your husband, at least he is safe now. He's a lucky boy. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.