Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a small really hard lump on Milly right above her right shoulder. I'm a bit worried, but hopefully it's nothing. She'll be going to the vet this week... just need to wait for them to clear the roads near my vet so I can get her there. It doesn't seem to cause her any discomfort, and it's quite small (about the size of my thumb nail).

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
These are not uncommon. Every Golden I've had over age 5 has had one somewhere.

It does need a vet visit though. Usually they will aspirate it and check to see if it's benign, or something more worrysome.

I think they call these fatty tumors?

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Have you removed a tick from her in the past month or two? Brady had something similar, but it was from a tick. It went away in about 2 months.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Sorry to hear that Milly is making you worry. I'm sure it is nothing but you are doing the right thing to have it vet checked. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Most likely Milly has a fatty lipoma (benign), but it is always a good idea to have them checked out by a vet. Barkley's have come back as some pretty obscure and odd-named growths, thankfully benign.

We started a lump map for Barkley--he has so many I lost count.

I hope you get your roads cleared and I hope Milly's lump is benign.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Darby has one since he was a puppy on his back. Every year the vet aspirates it just to keep tabs. She thinks it was from a vaccination.

My sheltie and first golden both had lumps, bumps, warts, cysts etc. all benign. Probably nothing to worry about, it is fairly common.

·
Registered
140 Posts
WARNING! GRAPHIC CONTENT! OR MAYBE JUST ICKY!

I remember finding a hard little lump on my big boy Raider's back/butt one time; It was about 1.5" X 1.5". Well, I couldn't stand it, I started fussing at it, and I called the vet all in a panic, made an appt., kept on fussing at the lump, and it popped. I was stunned- it was like I had encountered the biggest doggy zit in the world.

Of course I went to the vet thinking I'd done something terrible and they laughed, said it was a sebacious cyst and gave me some antibiotic wash to put on it. It was gone in a week. This might be what Milly has, or just a benign fatty tumor, (lipoma) Older dogs, (esp. labs!) get them all the time! I just paid a fortune to have a couple of them taken off my Oso- they're really only a problem if they interfere with mobility or grow too close to a muscle. I think vets must see more "patients" with this complaint than anything else! Good luck- I bet it'll be just fine.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
WARNING! GRAPHIC CONTENT! OR MAYBE JUST ICKY!

I remember finding a hard little lump on my big boy Raider's back/butt one time; It was about 1.5" X 1.5". Well, I couldn't stand it, I started fussing at it, and I called the vet all in a panic, made an appt., kept on fussing at the lump, and it popped. I was stunned- it was like I had encountered the biggest doggy zit in the world.

Of course I went to the vet thinking I'd done something terrible and they laughed, said it was a sebacious cyst and gave me some antibiotic wash to put on it. It was gone in a week. This might be what Milly has, or just a benign fatty tumor, (lipoma) Older dogs, (esp. labs!) get them all the time! I just paid a fortune to have a couple of them taken off my Oso- they're really only a problem if they interfere with mobility or grow too close to a muscle. I think vets must see more "patients" with this complaint than anything else! Good luck- I bet it'll be just fine.
Ditto. Two of the many that Tucker has had for years popped and made a mess. One has healed, the other continues to leak a little. They don't bother him.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm hoping, and my gut says it's nothing more than a little fatty tumor. It's bigger than the "old dog warts" my childhood dog got, but I just like to be better safe than sorry.

My old pony had a little cyst that I couldn't stop messing with and when it popped it was more like an explosion - puss hit the wall ten feet away (and my face, yuck!)... I'm glad this is much smaller.

I texted my vet and she said it's probably nothing to worry about, but of course better safe than sorry so she'll take a look at it this week. I love having my vet's cell # and personal email address... makes life much easier! Though most of our e-mailing is planning happy hours, but she's always more than happy to answer doggie questions.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I know how you worry, we can't help it. But hopefully it's just one of the myriad of benign lumps and bumps our goldens are so prone to!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Hoping it is one of the fatty tumors that goldens can get. It is not a bad idea to have the vet look at it. My Beau used to have a ton of them and like anniekc said, they used to burst and it would be so gross. My vet also said not to squeeze them hard when feeling them. You can cause them to break apart making it worse.
It is hard not to worry when it is our babies.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll be keeping Milly in my prayers and my fingers crossed. Hopefully it's nothing and you can stop worrying. We're expecting more snow. Will you be able to get to your Vet before the next snowfall?
I hope so! That depends on if I have to go to work tomorrow. The snow plan on Monday was if the federal gov't was closed we were too... now on Tuesday the gov't is closed, but I'm not sure if we'll be open or not. I have a stack of work a mile high that I'm not looking forward to getting back to, and we keep losing power at our house... lots of power lines are sort of down around me - hanging really low over the streets (really safe... jk) and I'm just waiting for a car to not see the caution tape hanging from them, and not swerve and the terrible havoc that could cause.

If the office is closed tomorrow/closes early she'll get into the vet then... otherwise it'll be after this snow fall.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Sending good thoughts that the lump is nothing serious! And hope you are able to get into the vet tomorrow before the snow hits again!

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
YAY!!! Thats great news!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts