Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, while we were walking, a little ankle-biting chihuahua followed us, yapping the whole way (of course it didn't dare come within 10 feet of Gracie, although she wouldn't hurt it, she's a lady :bigangel:). I scowled at it and muttered with my mom about how annoying it was until it gave up on us. Then later, when an old hound started following us, baying rather loudly AND when a couple of collies (a grown one and an ADORABLE puppy) followed us, I smiled and noted how adorable they were.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
Neither am I, yet I have one. My mother's miniature schnauzer. I promised Mom I'd take her if anything happened, so she has been with me since Mom passed away last year. Reaffirms my vow to never own anything yappy ever again. I treat her well because Mom loved her. She is 11 now - how long do these critters live? LOL

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
We have two yappy little dogs, a Toy Fox Terrier and a Jack Russell mix and they do get on our nerves sometimes with their barking, but they make up for it every night when we go to bed and they snuggle under the covers with us and keep us warm! Our two rescued GR's won't get on the bed with us, we've tried coaxing them and actually picking them up and putting them on the bed but we figure they must not have been allowed on the bed of their former owners. When our first Golden Rusty was alive he would sleep with us most everynight along with the two little terriorists!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Neither am I, yet I have one. My mother's miniature schnauzer. I promised Mom I'd take her if anything happened, so she has been with me since Mom passed away last year. Reaffirms my vow to never own anything yappy ever again. I treat her well because Mom loved her. She is 11 now - how long do these critters live? LOL
This made me laugh :bowl: :bowl: :bowl: You're such a good daughter :heartbeat

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Little dogs can live upward to like 16 or 17! Ours are 6 and 7 so we've probably got them for another 10 years! But we really do love them and they do have some endearing qualities!

They are both rescues too. Rocky, who came from a neighbor who put him out in the bitter cold at 3 mos. and weighing 3 lbs. because they didn't want him anymore. I found him and took him inside and we bought him from them just to get him away from there. I got the second one Zippy, (and he definitely lives up to his name!) as a companion to Rocky so he'd have someone his own size to play with. They all get along really well and you'll find them snuggled up to one of the Goldens often.

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
Haha, I would have felt the same way. I'm not a big fan of most chihuahuas. My grandmother has one and I love him because he's very friendly and not yappy at all. But my friend has one and that dog annoys the crap out of me. :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All of my experiences with chihuahuas have been with ones with terrible owners. The reason there are so many unruly ankle biters is because those breeds tend to attract irresponsible pet owners because they're so darn easy to take care of (no hair, little to no exercise, don't take up room, don't need constant attention). And then there's also the fact that many of their owners think that aggression is okay cause they're so little.

·
Valerie
789 Posts
All of my experiences with chihuahuas have been with ones with terrible owners. The reason there are so many unruly ankle biters is because those breeds tend to attract irresponsible pet owners because they're so darn easy to take care of (no hair, little to no exercise, don't take up room, don't need constant attention). And then there's also the fact that many of their owners think that aggression is okay cause they're so little.
you are so right about all of the above. its really sad when you think about it though...

but nonetheless i dont like any of the little turds. i have yet to come across a small breed dog that ive actually liked (even the least bit)

so dont feel bad- i would have done the same thing. i guess im prejudice too!!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
When my poodle-mix granddog was here for 3+weeks, he got on my last nerve. I'm not a little-dog person, I swear that dog has springs on his feet and barks at every noise. He did way more damage to my house and yard in the short time he was here than Hank has done in his 1 1/2 years. I never will understand why people think large dogs are more destructive than small.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I met the cutest little doggie the other day! She looked like a mini collie! Only weighed 7 lbs and had long hair. Her face looked just like a teeny tiny collie face. She had such a cute personality: not yappy and wandered around the house like it was her own. Completely ignored Ranger! I wanted her soooo badly and i am not usually a fan of little dogs. She was too cute! I seriously thought she was a little collie cross puppy until i was told she was 2 yrs!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
There is no place in my life for yappy little dogs.
I agree...my boyfriend and I argue about what kind of dog we'd get when we live together...he wants a small one, I'm all for the big dogs. He asked why, I said cuz little ones are yappy and annoying and harder to train lol. Of course having a golden as my first dog, I've been spoiled lol

·
Registered
12,394 Posts
I am just not a little dog fan, either. And when I'm out walking or at the park, I have to say, I have no interest in little yappers. The only little dogs I like are puppies of large breeds. :p:

Oh, and korgis. Corgis? Whatev. :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am just not a little dog fan, either. And when I'm out walking or at the park, I have to say, I have no interest in little yappers. The only little dogs I like are puppies of large breeds. :p:

Oh, and korgis. Corgis? Whatev. :)
I always considered Corgis a medium breed rather than a small one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts