Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

my puppy, Zelda, is now 12 weeks old. We’ve had her for 3 weeks now and she is the sweetest girl ever. We wanted to socialize her and since her vaccinations aren’t complete as of yet, we thought that we can take her for a walk outside but she needs to be on a red wagon to prevent her from touching the ground. She absolutely loved to take in all of the sounds and smells. All of a sudden, she jumped out of the red wagon and it took my husband and I 10-12 seconds to get back into the wagon. We had her on a harness and leash and even though we had control of the situation, she still managed to jump off.There was no sign of dog feces where she stepped on.. what are the odds of her getting parvo? It was just a regular sidewalk, no grass. I feel so guilty. I will be watching signs of parvo in the meantime..
*edited to add pics of Zelda :) the first pic was 5 mins before she jumped on the sidewalk

Dog Sky Dog breed Collar Carnivore
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Spitz Companion dog
Dog Plant Dog breed Water Ear

·
Super Moderator
2,521 Posts
Hi everyone.

my puppy, Zelda, is now 12 weeks old. We’ve had her for 3 weeks now and she is the sweetest girl ever. We wanted to socialize her and since her vaccinations aren’t complete as of yet, we thought that we can take her for a walk outside but she needs to be on a red wagon to prevent her from touching the ground. She absolutely loved to take in all of the sounds and smells. All of a sudden, she jumped out of the red wagon and it took my husband and I 10-12 seconds to get back into the wagon. We had her on a harness and leash and even though we had control of the situation, she still managed to jump off.There was no sign of dog feces where she stepped on.. what are the odds of her getting parvo? It was just a regular sidewalk, no grass. I feel so guilty. I will be watching signs of parvo in the meantime..
I wouldn’t stress about it

·
Registered
28 Posts
It sounds like you are doing a lot to keep your puppy safe while waiting for her last vaccinations. I would not stress about my puppy’s paws touching sidewalk for just a moment.
I am willing to take some calculated risks with my pups so I can socialize them, such as puppy classes or interactions with vaccinated, calm dogs. So it sounds like you are being more cautious than I would be. I think your girl’s risk from that one hop out of the wagon is very low :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like you are doing a lot to keep your puppy safe while waiting for her last vaccinations. I would not stress about my puppy’s paws touching sidewalk for just a moment.
I am willing to take some calculated risks with my pups so I can socialize them, such as puppy classes or interactions with vaccinated, calm dogs. So it sounds like you are being more cautious than I would be. I think your girl’s risk from that one hop out of the wagon is very low :)
Thank you so much. This puts my mind at ease 😊

·
Registered
150 Posts
she needs to be on a red wagon to prevent her from touching the ground.
Why???

Speaking of it, where or how your pup goes potty outside? Do you lift her up and hold her over the grassy area ~15cm off the ground, so she can do her business?

Btw, before getting vacc shots, pups do have immunity that developed drinking mum's milk. What vaccs do, is replacing the mum's milk immunities with chemical ones, which last longer. But to keep your pup off the ground because of your fear, is the strangest thing i've ever heard of.

Un-vacced pup is best to kept away from dog parks, where loads of dogs have been. But the immidiate area of your home should be safe enough for her to walk, develop her muscles and joints as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
From about 4 weeks to 16 weeks is the first critical socialization period. If you’re afraid to let them even touch the ground then parvo is by far the least of your worries. Exposing them to various sights, sounds, situations, people etc is super important to help them develop into calm confident curious puppies.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Why???

Speaking of it, where or how your pup goes potty outside? Do you lift her up and hold her over the grassy area ~15cm off the ground, so she can do her business?

Btw, before getting vacc shots, pups do have immunity that developed drinking mum's milk. What vaccs do, is replacing the mum's milk immunities with chemical ones, which last longer. But to keep your pup off the ground because of your fear, is the strangest thing i've ever heard of.

Un-vacced pup is best to kept away from dog parks, where loads of dogs have been. But the immidiate area of your home should be safe enough for her to walk, develop her muscles and joints as well.
Thank you for the information.
Regarding potty, we live on the top floor of an apartment. We have artificial grass on the balcony she goes too. Regarding putting her on the wagon, it was stated on the breeder contract that we shouldn’t bring puppy to public places before shots are complete, but if we need to bring puppy into public space, always carry her or put her in a wagon (something to stroll her along). Also, we went to a vet the day we got her, and she advised us to not even go outside with her until vaccinations are complete. She told us we can socialize puppy by having vaccinated dogs over but told us we shouldn’t bring her in public spaces. We didn’t listen to the “don’t bring her into public spaces” part because I understand how important socialization is for puppy, so we decided to do it safely, via carrying her around in a wagon
*edited for autocorrect

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From about 4 weeks to 16 weeks is the first critical socialization period. If you’re afraid to let them even touch the ground then parvo is by far the least of your worries. Exposing them to various sights, sounds, situations, people etc is super important to help them develop into calm confident curious puppies.
Thank you. I agree, socialization is very important. We’ve been exposing her to places but we’ve always strolled her with the wagon

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Speaking of socialization, here's a great list to help you (or anyone) with it,
topic: Socialization check list

I'm using it with our pup (i printed it out) and i've also shared this list with our pup's playmate owners as well. :)
Thank you so much for that list. Wow! She has a LOT more to get exposed to!! That’s a very long list! We will definitely work on this with her. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Regarding potty, we live on the top floor of an apartment. We have artificial grass on the balcony she goes too.
I also live in an apartment (2nd floor) and we also have artificial grass on our balcony but we haven't teach our dog to go potty there. Instead, when he was 8w old, we carried him outside and placed him on the grass, in front of our apartment building. So, that he gets comfortable going potty on the real grass. Also, i imagine that the artificial grass, eventually, gets soaked with pee and poop, and replacing it is both costly and time consuming. Better to teach your dog to go potty outside.

With this, there could be future complication, where when your dog gets used to go potty on artificial grass, she won't go potty anywhere else. It would be bad for a dog to hold all of it in, whereby she can relieve herself once back home and on the artificial grass. Also, golf courses (and other artificial grass areas) may be target for her potty as well.

it was stated on the breeder contract that we shouldn’t bring puppy to public places
Public places as in heavy foot traffic areas and/or dog parks, that i do get. But how about immediate area around your flat? Sure, by definition, it is public place (if it isn't gated off that is) but don't you think it's a bit too much to limit your young and still developing pup that severely?

Younger than ~4 months old pups should not walk up and down stairs, especially down, since that damages their joints. Hence the carry on the steps. Jumping too is best avoided.
and she advised us to not even go outside with her until vaccinations are complete
Our pup got his 1st shot at 12w and 2nd shot at 16w. Don't know about the vacc plan your pup is on though. But 8w to 16w is the most important time for pup to socialize.

She told us we can socialize puppy by having vaccinated dogs over
Socialization isn't just about meeting other dogs. It's meeting, and getting to experience everything pup is going to experience in his/hers life.

For example, our male pup, still has not seen a cow or horse, since we live in a city and there isn't livestock nearby for him to see. And he is 6m2w old already.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Someone recently posted about parvo not living long on hard surfaces. I would get her out and about as much as possible and if you think she stepped somewhere risky you could always wash her paws thoroughly with mild soap and lots of rinse water.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I also live in an apartment (2nd floor) and we also have artificial grass on our balcony but we haven't teach our dog to go potty there. Instead, when he was 8w old, we carried him outside and placed him on the grass, in front of our apartment building. So, that he gets comfortable going potty on the real grass. Also, i imagine that the artificial grass, eventually, gets soaked with pee and poop, and replacing it is both costly and time consuming. Better to teach your dog to go potty outside.

With this, there could be future complication, where when your dog gets used to go potty on artificial grass, she won't go potty anywhere else. It would be bad for a dog to hold all of it in, whereby she can relieve herself once back home and on the artificial grass. Also, golf courses (and other artificial grass areas) may be target for her potty as well.

Public places as in heavy foot traffic areas and/or dog parks, that i do get. But how about immediate area around your flat? Sure, by definition, it is public place (if it isn't gated off that is) but don't you think it's a bit too much to limit your young and still developing pup that severely?

Younger than ~4 months old pups should not walk up and down stairs, especially down, since that damages their joints. Hence the carry on the steps. Jumping too is best avoided.

Our pup got his 1st shot at 12w and 2nd shot at 16w. Don't know about the vacc plan your pup is on though. But 8w to 16w is the most important time for pup to socialize.

Socialization isn't just about meeting other dogs. It's meeting, and getting to experience everything pup is going to experience in his/hers life.

For example, our male pup, still has not seen a cow or horse, since we live in a city and there isn't livestock nearby for him to see. And he is 6m2w old already.
Thank you so much for your thorough responses. I have a lot of things to work on with her

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Someone recently posted about parvo not living long on hard surfaces. I would get her out and about as much as possible and if you think she stepped somewhere risky you could always wash her paws thoroughly with mild soap and lots of rinse water.
Got it. Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
One more weighing in on this issue : NO GUILT necessary.
I fall on the side of more socialization and experiences. Obviously no dog parks or those types of places but you are already well informed about safety concerns.
But get your pup out and about. Here's one more socialization checklist for you.

Have fun. You can never get this time back - enjoy every minute.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts