Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most know I had to take Lincoln off his raw diet. I have a 10 cubic foot freezer dedicated to his food and mine. Well tonight I clean it all out so theres only 1/3 of it filled with dog food.

This is my theory and hopefully its a good one. Lincoln will be off raw for at least 3-4 months probably forever. Why leave the stuff sitting in there for months to get freezer burnt when you can give let your friend take it who feeds her dog raw? I have things in there I am keeping back like cubes of boneless chicken/turkey thats been ground up that my little dog will eat, tripe that she will eat, whole ducks that I can eat (even though ive never cooked or had duck) and turkey necks that my granny can use when she makes her soup.

Shes getting lots of things for her dog like chicken feet, some tripe, boneless beef/pork.

But I cannot help to feel guilty...maybe because its my dogs stuff? maybe its because I feel horrible for taking him off raw...I dunno I just needed to rant :)

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I think it's great you are willing to give it to a friend. I don't understand the freezer burn issue, though. Most meat is fine to use after 6 months in the freezer.

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
Don't feel guilty. It's a nice thing you're doing giving the meat to your friend. You are doing what is best for Lincoln and being a good dog mom. I don't see anything to feel guilty about.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Nothing to feel guilty about, you are taking care of your dog in the best way you can!

I will say that meat lasts a long time in the freezer, if packaged correctly in freezer bags or sealed containers. If you think you won't go back to raw feeding, definitely give it to someone who can put it to good use though :)

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I *might* go back to raw feeding or at least give it a trial but that wont be for another 6 or so months. The meats already getting freezer burnt. So I thought I would pass it along to be used now and I will just get more when and if I decide to feed raw :)

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Freezer burn is caused by improper wrapping of the meat. You need to get the air out of the packaging (I actually use a straw and suck the air out before I seal the zip lock).
Meat that has freezer burn isn't ruined (isn't harmful to eat) it just might not be as palatable. Even if it had freezer burn and was tough in spots, it would make wonderful soup.
But if you want to give it to a friend, do so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts