Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently realized that I am working hard to get a master's in communication but all I want to do is spend time training Remy/other friend's dogs. I just love training and it's something that I'm actually decent at. Kind of wishing I could go back to the beginning of all of this and get a degree in animal behavior or something. I love comm but I am sure feeling directionless these days.

·
Kate
21,672 Posts
I'm sure that after you get your Masters that you can use it to get into a field that involves animals. Keep at it. ;)

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
After you get your master's you can always pursue it as an avocation. You'll need something to pay the bills with so keep your day job. lol

I know what you mean though. I learned shorthand and typing and then found out I'd rather plant flowers and work outside. Now I'm old. Don't get old without doing the thing you love; at least part of the time!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Don't get old without doing the thing you love; at least part of the time!
Wise words! Listen to these. You are given specific gifts and talents for a reason. Find that reason, and you will live a very fulfilling life. I guarantee it. Listen to that inner voice. It never is wrong, but it is scary to listen to at times.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
i am currently going through a similar phase. i cant do what i love and i dont know what else to do. feeling stuck.

what penny's mom and phillyfisher said struck a cord deep in my heart. thanks for the kind words.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Ashley, if you are truly pulled this direction then continue your studies, but start finding you a mentor in the field you prefer in the dog world. There is an open world out there and many will gladly teach you if you will help them as you learn. True calling shows through to those who have spent a lifetime at this.

If you want to learn obedience, then go and offer to clean kennels for the chance to learn. If it is hunt & field, then volunteer with the dog clubs, if conformation is the goal then mentor with the best you can find in exchange for grooming/exercising help. Most of the active dog people I have been blessed to know had no formal education for their field. They worked hard to begin, failed then started slowly succeeding. They are now full of knowledge, can be pigheaded and very determined in their feelings cause they came by them with their own sweat and tears. They make the most wonderful mentors and when they see you Mean to work hard for their knowledge, they are usually more than willing to help.

Good luck and always follow your dreams! The world is truly filled with many paths, the one you walk is your decision only. You can keep up your studies and profession you chose, but your dreams can be followed in that you will make the time for them if your love is deep and true. I say "Go For It" if it is a calling, for we spend to much of our lives with our cup 1/2 full of what Could Have Been things! Grab life and things that fill your heart.

PS: This was stated by an almost senior who can't wait to see what is going to be behind lifes next door!

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
I sort of know where you're coming from, too. But knowing how very young you are (you lucky thing!!), I might recommend finishing your Master's and then figuring out if it's worth pursuing another degree or certificate. Your education to date will ONLY help you. But nothing keeps you from doing more. I will tell you... once you start working and earning a steady salary, it gets VERY hard to consider giving it up to go back to school! But follow your interests, for sure. If you do, and can make a living at it, it will never feel like you're working a day in your life.

Reactions: cubbysan

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I have fought that battle my whole life. I am now in my 40's. I had seriously considered going back to school to be a vet when I was in my 30's, but my career in IT was too lucrative to leave.

I have often tried to think of other careers with animals, again, none of them would pay my bills.

Is your degree in Business Communications or Communications like linguistics?

Maybe you can find a way to combine your degree with animals. Or on your spare time, use your skills for a rescue group as your "hobby".

It is important to do what you love, but you also have to make sure it will be able to support you and your family.

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My degree is in interpersonal communication. I'd like to possibly be a counselor... I am looking into forensic interviewing as well. Thank you all for your suggestions... I know I have to pay the bills but sometimes it's hard to get up and going when I feel slightly directionless. I've always had a certain direction and lately it seems kind of gone. Luckily my boyfriend wants to be a vet or a pediatrician so one day maybe I can focus solely on passion!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
The only caution I have about continuing education is that it costs a bundle. I see a lot of young people making their lifetime choices, racking up tens of thousands in debt which then acts like an anchor, forever pulling them down and away from their dreams. The choices you make in your 20s are not necessarily the ones you would make in your 30s.

I advise you to finish this master's, but think twice about going on for more education in a field that you don't LOVE or maybe don't have a passion for.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Wise advice Penny's Mom!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts