Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am asked A LOT to dog sit for friends when they go out of town. I almost always agree to it, but always keep the dog(s) in my home where I can monitor them more.

Over the past 7 months I've dog sat Chihuahuas, a Lab/Pointer mix (she looks like a mini-chocolate lab), a Lab, a Basset, a JRT, a Fox Terrier, an English Springer, and currently a Golden Retriever. Milly always is nice and welcoming to the dogs we take care of, but she hasn't really ever clicked with any of them. She'll play with them, but it's more like, "okay, cool, a dog, maybe I'll play for a few minutes, then back to my normal routine," assuming she could talk. ;)

Until the Golden! She is absolutely head over heels in love with this dog! He's 3 or 4 (I forget how old), very handsome, and just a total sweet heart. They like to curl up together and sleep snuggling on the floor. They play non-stop. They are always together. And best of all, it's like Milly's separation anxiety has totally vanished! Too bad Mason has to go home tonight or tomorrow morning - I really don't want him to leave. :(

Do you think she some how knows that he's a Golden Retriever and she's one too? I know that sounds stupid, but could it be possible? I've never seen her so happy to dog sit before!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
I've often wondered myself if a Golden recognizes another dog as a Golden. My Austin LOVES all dogs but just goes nutty when he sees another Golden Retriever. He just gravitates to them even at the dog park when there are 50 other dogs there.

Maybe you will need to get Millie a permanent friend!!!

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Perhaps you can offer to have weekend playdates with this golden for Milly's sake?

I have heard people say that their dogs really love their own kind best.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
This sounds a lot like Gilmour and Beri, one of the breeders young females. He gets along fine with all dogs, but when he goes for his visits there those two are total Velcro.

And he is absolutely, positively not allowed to visit when she is in heat. Momma is on the porch with a shotgun LOL

I am asked A LOT to dog sit for friends when they go out of town. I almost always agree to it, but always keep the dog(s) in my home where I can monitor them more.

Over the past 7 months I've dog sat Chihuahuas, a Lab/Pointer mix (she looks like a mini-chocolate lab), a Lab, a Basset, a JRT, a Fox Terrier, an English Springer, and currently a Golden Retriever. Milly always is nice and welcoming to the dogs we take care of, but she hasn't really ever clicked with any of them. She'll play with them, but it's more like, "okay, cool, a dog, maybe I'll play for a few minutes, then back to my normal routine," assuming she could talk. ;)

Until the Golden! She is absolutely head over heels in love with this dog! He's 3 or 4 (I forget how old), very handsome, and just a total sweet heart. They like to curl up together and sleep snuggling on the floor. They play non-stop. They are always together. And best of all, it's like Milly's separation anxiety has totally vanished! Too bad Mason has to go home tonight or tomorrow morning - I really don't want him to leave. :(

Do you think she some how knows that he's a Golden Retriever and she's one too? I know that sounds stupid, but could it be possible? I've never seen her so happy to dog sit before!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
They are always together. And best of all, it's like Milly's separation anxiety has totally vanished!
Time to get a Milly a friend, two are wonderful and they keep each other company.

I have been told that Breed recognizes Breed. I know my two go nuts when the see another Golden. They love to meet all dogs but when it comes to Goldens they are off the mark. I have friends with different breeds (shelties) tell me they see the same thing.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I definitely think dogs recognize their own breed. Teddi was drawn to Max, I often wondered as a maternal figure. I think Quinn knows she and Belle are the same.

Sounds to me like you need to get another golden ;) That coming from someone who has 3 dogs and is slowly looking for #4. :p:

Ann

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I agree, I think they recognize their own breed, my two recent rescues are now best buds! I definitely think Milly needs a permanent Golden friend!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately, I'm dog sitting Mason because his owners are in Florida looking at property, and are moving there on February 11th so regular play dates won't be happening. :( They've invited us (Milly included) to come visit whenever we want... and I think I'll be taking them up on that offer!

I had already decided it was time to get Milly a friend, and I'm starting to look for the right breeder and right litter. This will hopefully be my first show dog! Having another Golden in the house has just reaffirmed what I already knew... now I need to keep telling myself, "Take your time to find the perfect litter... don't jump into it because Milly wants a friend." I'd much rather do it right from the start then make mistakes and regret it down the road.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
A new friend for Milly, and a soon-to-be brother or sister! I'm sure that she'll be just as smitten when you get the new pup! Good luck in your search!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts