Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My golden, Corona, has had a lump on her back and has not grown or changed since it was discovered so we haven't worried about it. Recently her tail has lost more and more hair and is now very thin with the skin visible.

Could someone please tell me what may be going on with her?

Thank you!

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Not sure about the lump, but Goldens are prone to fatty lumps and tumors, as well as cancerous ones. It's usually a good idea to have a vet check them out.

Thinning or "rat" tail is often a sign of low thyroid. It would be worth it to take her into the vet, have the lump checked and run a full thyroid panel on her-the kind of panel that has to be sent to Michigan or Dr. Dodds to be read.

A low thyroid can be a symptom of something else wrong, or it could be a result of autoimmune thyroiditis, which is why you need the full panel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks, we'll be taking her to the vet as soon as possible. It kills me to think another dog of mine is sick.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
Welcome to the forum. No advice here, I am glad you are taking Corona to a vet.

·
Registered
12,189 Posts
I don't have any definite answer for you but check my post about muscular hemangiosarcoma in the cancer section. I take all bumps and lumps very seriously and it is important to have them checked to rule out everything. I hope all is well for you.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
Were you able to see the vet, any news?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Praying that Corona's vet visit went well and she has a clean bill of health. Our Max has many lumps and bumps. We always have them checked by a vet and observe them for any changes thereafter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all very much, Corona had a thyroid problem as was suggested before, the lump was. Bug bite, she is curently on prednizone ear dops and thyrid medicine. I'm happy to say that my fantastic golen is on her way back to her old happy self!
Thank you again, everyone!

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Phew! It is so nice to hear great medical news about a golden!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts