Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I flew to Baton Rouge yesterday, and tomorrow at 1pm I defend my master's thesis. Right now I'm feeling pretty calm, but I know by tomorrow my heart will be in my throat and I won't be able to eat b/c my stomach will be so tied up.

I have to give a 1hr seminar followed by questions, and then endure another session of questions with my committee members. I'm actually mostly worried about the Q&A session after my seminar because I've been blindsided in the past by a completely off the wall question, and I HATED that feeling of "Uh... I don't know!" that came with it.

But oh man, after I'm done I'm going to feel soooo relaxed and relieved. Any tips or advice for me would be great!

I sure wish I had Flora here, I could do with a big fluffy dog right about now. ;)

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
OMGoodness, I know how you feel! I can still remember my jitters before and during my jury exams for piano performance. I never did actually throw up on the keyboard but I thought I might.:yuck:

What is your thesis about? (don't know if that's the right way to word the question)

Wishing you all the best and I know you'll do fine: you've worked so hard on this! Congratulations! You're almost there!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My thesis is entitled Variations in Hydrodynamic Roughness Among Major Plant Species in Coastal Louisiana. Basically I took a buttload of plant stem measurements in the field and then used them in hydrology equations to assess their influence on the overall resistance to flow that is in the system. A lot of it is hypothetical, but I think it will be of considerable use to people who are interested in modeling flow across this type of landscape.

Lol, just thinking about it now is making me jumpy and a little upset to my stomach. I get the worst upset stomach when I'm nervous, it's awful.

Thanks for the well wishes. :) I'm actually quite excited about it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sounds very cool! Too bad it wasn't next week; I'll be in Baton Rouge! I'm sure we'd have tons to talk about!

I'm hoping that my topic can be something related to wetland restoration. I talked to my advisor last week and he told me to take 3 credits a semester and call him in 4 years when I was closer to being done so we can discuss a topic :doh: I just had a lightbulb moment- I know no one who went to grad school and I have no clue how many credits to even think about taking a semester. Maybe when you have time you'd be willing to talk/chatroom with me?

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I just wanted to say good luck! I know a few Masters students that have gone through that (and one of my friends just did her defense this morning). I know it is pretty stressful, but you will get through it!

Reactions: Florabora22

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Good luck! You'll be great!

Here's my advice: Don't be afraid to say, "That's a really interesting question. I'm not sure I have the best answer, but I know I can find out and get back to you" if you get a really off-the-wall question. Your presentation and answers to typical questions will have shown you know what you're talking about, and I personally think it looks better to just say you don't know than to try and BS something that doesn't really fit. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds very cool! Too bad it wasn't next week; I'll be in Baton Rouge! I'm sure we'd have tons to talk about!

I'm hoping that my topic can be something related to wetland restoration. I talked to my advisor last week and he told me to take 3 credits a semester and call him in 4 years when I was closer to being done so we can discuss a topic :doh: I just had a lightbulb moment- I know no one who went to grad school and I have no clue how many credits to even think about taking a semester. Maybe when you have time you'd be willing to talk/chatroom with me?
Ah,wetland restoration. That was initially what I wanted to get into, but somehow my project took a turn in a different direction. I actually have a restoration ecologist on my committee because I originally intended to have a large component of that material in my thesis... so much for that! :p:

Yeah, let's definitely talk about this. I have looooads of advice I can offer, lol. I can't tell you how many times I've gone "Doh, why didn't I do that?" or "Dangit, why did I do that?" :p: PM me sometime and we can figure out a way to chat!!

Good luck! You'll be great!

Here's my advice: Don't be afraid to say, "That's a really interesting question. I'm not sure I have the best answer, but I know I can find out and get back to you" if you get a really off-the-wall question. Your presentation and answers to typical questions will have shown you know what you're talking about, and I personally think it looks better to just say you don't know than to try and BS something that doesn't really fit. Know what I mean?
I agree 100% and I already have this response tucked away in my head. I know people hate it when someone bullsh*ts, so I'm going to refrain from doing that in an instance when I'm completely stumped and just compliment the question and admit I'm not entirely certain.

Thanks for all of the good luck everyone! I'm looking forward to when I can go home and take a nice bubble bath (provided Flora doesn't jump in the tub first... :doh:).

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Best of luck to you. I remember both times I did it how nervous I was. I am sure that you are prepared and you will do a great job!!!

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Best of luck to you, tomorrow. Just think of that nice piece of paper you are getting after you're done! The world is at your feet!

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Good luck!! I'm sure you'll ace it!

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
My husband is a mathematics professor and so I hear about students' defenses. Will it help to hear that bottom line is the professors WANT you to do well, and they want you to graduate. Yes, they will ask lots of questions (perhaps some of them are trying to poke holes in your work, but the majority ask questions out of true interest in knowing what you did and what you found out).
Since you are already living somewhere else, you must already have a job? In that case especially, I can tell you that they have no desire to try to keep you from completing the final requirements for your degree.
Good luck tomorrow. I am sure you will do well. And, congratulations!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I agree with the attitude of not bullshitting. Personally I would never say you don't know, answer as best you can and offer to get back to the person at a later date when you can provide more details.

My advice is Kim do not doubt your ability. You have spent allot of time and energy studying and writing your thesis and you need to walk in knowing you are more than able. Banish that lost, stomach dropping feeling of not knowing the answer and instead focus on that feeling of pride and confidence after you gave a great answer to a question!

You need walk into that room with the confidence that you are going to do a great job. No questions are able to bind side you, because you have done the hard work.

Before I present I take a little time out to relax myself, its amazing how much tension is running through the body. What I do is slowly run through each part of my body and release the tension and muscle for example relax the fingers, relax the front and back of the hands, relax the front of your forearm, relax back of your forearm, relax the bicep etc. Even if all you do is relax the muscles in your face, it will make a huge difference.

Also I always find a quiet place for a quick time out, where I can close my eyes for a minute and do some deep breathing. I image breathing out all the nervous negative energy (black smoke) and fill my body with positive energy (white light)! It sounds really silly, but it works for me!

So relax and enjoy your time in the spotlight!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Mr. C and I send you our support and much strength. We know you are going to do just great.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts