Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let those interested there is a show called I Cloned my Pet on The Learning Channel tonight. GMA had the owner on this morning. I'm not sure what to think of what she did.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I don't have a problem with people cloning their pets in theory. They just need to realize that what they're creating is akin to a twin of their deceased pet, not it's reincarnation. The new dog or cat or whatever is still going to wind up with at least a somewhat different personality due to differing experiences in puppihood and whatnot. Even human twins who are genetically identical and raised together usually wind up being distinct individuals with differing likes and dislikes. And, of course, the new pet will have none of the last pet's memories- only it's DNA.

The other cautionary note I'd toss in there is that we don't want people mass-producing clones of a single dog or cat and selling them around the country or something. Doing that would create a dog population with too little genetic diversity- which would make it very susceptible to being ravaged by disease (i.e. they'd all have the same genetic strengths and weaknesses) and create a lot of potential in-breeding and the problems that go along with it.

But if on an individual basis people want to clone their deceased pet and create or two clones for themselves, that seems alright to me. Just so long as they understand it isn't going to be exactly the same dog (More like a twin or a sibling).

Personally, I know I couldn't afford it, and, even if I could, I'm not sure that I would do it. It'd probably seem a little bit too creepy to me, and maybe like I was disrespecting my former pet's memory somehow. I'd rather just adopt a new puppy with it's own unique DNA that was born the natural way. But I'm not against it in principle. If other people think it'd be neat, then, by all means, go ahead. :)

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Given all the genetic conditions my own Goldens have had, as much as I love their personalities, I'd never want to create a clone that would have the same special needs--hip dysplasia being the primary condition that bothers me the most.

This woman's dog was a pet store purchase--and she's actually done 2 clonings. The second cloned dog is on his way from Korea, where the procedure took place.

Oh, and the normal cost is $100,000--she got it cut to $50,000. Too rich for me.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Seems a little nutty to me. But to each his own.

·
Kate
21,676 Posts
Given all the genetic conditions my own Goldens have had, as much as I love their personalities, I'd never want to create a clone that would have the same special needs--hip dysplasia being the primary condition that bothers me the most.
My brain went that way too...

I mean, it is one thing if you have a dog with superb lines behind him, who had superb health, who lived 17 years with minimal health issues, who was finally put to sleep because of senility... I can see the advantage of cloning. More or less.

But the trainability factor, I'm not sure if that's something that can be cloned. I think because some of that is nurture vs nature, even if some of it is nature. >.<

I think it's just creepy that you have people who get into cloning because they think it's a way to bring a beloved pet back.

For a mere $1000, you can find a dog with similar lines and breeding as your dog. If you had a unique mixed breed with unknown background who was completely awesome and perfect, I guess that'd be different. But most purebred dogs do have similar enough traits and looks, especially if they are linebred.

I dunno. *shrugs*

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
My brain went that way too...

I mean, it is one thing if you have a dog with superb lines behind him, who had superb health, who lived 17 years with minimal health issues, who was finally put to sleep because of senility... I can see the advantage of cloning. More or less.

But the trainability factor, I'm not sure if that's something that can be cloned. I think because some of that is nurture vs nature, even if some of it is nature. >.<

I think it's just creepy that you have people who get into cloning because they think it's a way to bring a beloved pet back.

For a mere $1000, you can find a dog with similar lines and breeding as your dog. If you had a unique mixed breed with unknown background who was completely awesome and perfect, I guess that'd be different. But most purebred dogs do have similar enough traits and looks, especially if they are linebred.

I dunno. *shrugs*
iWith my 5 goldens i have had, they tend to be different personalitys, and look different, yes they are goldens, but different from one another.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts