Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG, the shedding! Not like blowing her coat, not big chunks, but wow a lot of dog hair! Thank goodness she's still not allowed on beds or couch. Anybody else's special Princess or Prince changing the color of the flooring?

btw: not smart to get a dark red oriental type rug for the family room (from Lowe's, nothing special)

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I keep marveling at Flora's big furry coat right now, but at the same time I keep thinking of the mess it'll make when she starts shedding it. :D

·
Registered
277 Posts
we had a weird summer here in Alberta this year, and it seemed like everyone's animals were constantly shedding, because of the drastic temperature changes we seemed to have weekly. i picked up one of those shed reducer brushes (not sure what the proper name for it is) but it was sure a god-send!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Penny may be having a post-surgical coat shed/blow from the anesthesia used during her surgery. Years ago Barkley's acupuncture vet told me about this. She said many dogs react by blowing or shedding coats after major vaccinations like rabies and lepto and after surgical procedures, like sedated dental cleanings. She was warning me because Barkley was due for these things. He had a major shed just as she predicted. I thought maybe she planted the idea in my head and it was just coincidental he was losing fur, but I mentioned it in passing later on to his regular vet and she agreed!

Toby's coat did some strange stuff last month after his surgery and now we've got it isolated to an area on one of his flanks--he's had clumps of fur come out and now that area is all fuzzy and curly--like a spay coat! His vet looked at it last week and agreed his coat was really odd looking with that one area!

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
Tesia has lost a TON of fur in the past week - but like Penny, she's not quite blowing her coat. Still, I started brushing her Friday, and it was like she exploded! Top coat and undercoat. I'm going to brush her again today. So weird to lose this much fur at this time of year, just as we're going into cold weather. Hope she doesn't lose any more. Her bum is already feeling kind of boney. :( Though, I must say, she looks pretty good!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am "glad" to hear Lady is not the only one blowing coat at this time of the year, she is our first golden and up until last week she did not shed much, I thought I had gotten lucky and got a non-shedding golden, yay!!!! not such luck, since last week my dark HW floors always look covered in golden hair, does not matter how many times a day I vacuum or dry sweep the floor!!! she is 10 months so she does not have a full coat yet, very little feathering, I brush her daily and there is not much hair on the brush really, so I am a little puzzled as to how there is so much on the floor, our other dog is a black/white cocker and she does not shed at all, weird too because the other 2 cockers we had shed like crazy all year round. Hugs, Olga.

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
I don't think Chester ever doesn't shed. Whenever I take him outside to brush him, the fur keeps coming off. I still don't understand how I haven't brushed him until he's bald.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it's kind of a toss up. Either shedding A LOT or blowing coat. Not much inbetween!

I don't think Chester ever doesn't shed. Whenever I take him outside to brush him, the fur keeps coming off. I still don't understand how I haven't brushed him until he's bald.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm wondering if almost 2 months later, there would be any effect. No way of knowing for sure, I guess. I'm wondering if, like the horses, she's shedding her summer coat.

If it's any consolation, instead of a heavy shedding in August, the horses didn't shed that much. Usually heavy, early shedding means extra early winter coat and a tough winter.

Penny may be having a post-surgical coat shed/blow from the anesthesia used during her surgery. Years ago Barkley's acupuncture vet told me about this. She said many dogs react by blowing or shedding coats after major vaccinations like rabies and lepto and after surgical procedures, like sedated dental cleanings. She was warning me because Barkley was due for these things. He had a major shed just as she predicted. I thought maybe she planted the idea in my head and it was just coincidental he was losing fur, but I mentioned it in passing later on to his regular vet and she agreed!

Toby's coat did some strange stuff last month after his surgery and now we've got it isolated to an area on one of his flanks--he's had clumps of fur come out and now that area is all fuzzy and curly--like a spay coat! His vet looked at it last week and agreed his coat was really odd looking with that one area!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I brushed Lola yesterday and hardly got any fur off of her( compared to last summer!). She must have her winter fur coat for the cold winter coming- notice her coat is much thicker and that she looks thicker( all fur)- where last summer her coat was very sleek- not much thickness to it. I have only had Lola for going on 4 months now as I adopted her. I have not gone through all the different coat changes yet.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Same here, especially Darby. He as a LOT of coat and continually sheds, now with three.... :doh: At least with hw floors it's easy to vacuum.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Tesia has lost a TON of fur in the past week - but like Penny, she's not quite blowing her coat. Still, I started brushing her Friday, and it was like she exploded! Top coat and undercoat. I'm going to brush her again today. So weird to lose this much fur at this time of year, just as we're going into cold weather. Hope she doesn't lose any more. Her bum is already feeling kind of boney. :( Though, I must say, she looks pretty good!
For some reason my guys always seem to start shedding in December--I usually turn on our central heater on December 1 and I just assumed that triggered the shedding. It never seemed to bother them at all.

Toby gets two follow up sonograms a year (for a lymph node) and he's always happy to get shaved in his belly in June, but the January shave--yikes!

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Years ago Barkley's acupuncture vet told me.... many dogs react by blowing or shedding coats after major vaccinations like rabies and lepto
I am glad to read this. Brooks was losing his fur in more like clumps on his hips (rather than just his usual shedding) and I was wondering what was going on. The vaccination explanation is helpful.

·
Registered
48 Posts
lol it's hard to say how much she's shed as the carpet is a gold color. But the vacuum tells a different story. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts