Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well sort of! I bought myself a retirement home--but it comes with eleven acres of land, lots of trees and open space, and a small stream. I have been searching for a while and recently started making offers. As with all purchases, there are things I would change, but it's a nice place and in fairly good shape. Almost everything else was out of my price range. I asked for a price reduction and they said yes, so as of yesterday I am in contract for our new home. We will be living in El Dorado County in California Gold Country. Lots of open space, rivers and the like.

I've been planning to do this once DD graduated from high school. She will be going to college about an hour from there, so she can come home on the weekend if she wishes. It's very expensive to live here, so this is me "downsizing" by buying a smaller house but more land. :)

More to come over the summer...

·
Owned by Josie
1,206 Posts
Congratulations! Sounds like a wonderful thing place for you and your dogs. :)

·
Registered
17,372 Posts
Congratulations, wishing you all much happiness in your new home!

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Congratulations. I'm planning on doing the same thing if I ever get to the point I think I can afford to retire. I've come very close to buying land only to be discouraged by the horrible jump in property taxes.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congratulations. I'm planning on doing the same thing if I ever get to the point I think I can afford to retire. I've come very close to buying land only to be discouraged by the horrible jump in property taxes.
It's true--I really should have purchased some thing about a year ago. The prices have climbed steadily since then. But I didn't know what location to choose then. I'm just glad to have the uncertainty handled. Now the "fun" of packing!

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
That's absolutely amazing and I hope to be able to do the same one day. Tucker and Bella are such spoiled and lucky dogs!!

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
Congratulations! That sounds terrific! Nice to have acreage plus a little stream for the pups to splash around in. That's also nice your daughter will be fairly close.

Can't wait to see photos!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I am sooo envious right now :D This is what we want to do (hopefully before we retire). Congratulations and happy move.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congratulations! That sounds terrific! Nice to have acreage plus a little stream for the pups to splash around in. That's also nice your daughter will be fairly close.

Can't wait to see photos!
And...we should get snow once or twice a year. It doesn't stick around long, but the dogs should have fun with it.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Wow - Harry is going to want to come live with you instead of the downsized yard I am moving him to next month! How wonderful that your daughter will be so close. Your empty nest might not feel so empty knowing she is a short car ride away. I can't wait to see pictures.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Jealous! :)

1 - 20 of 300 Posts