Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I decided it was time to chronicle the adventures of Tucker and Bella in Gold Country in a new thread for the New Year since we have been officially living in the new place for a few months. (Old thread: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/chit-chat/295802-i-bought-dogs-ranch-squeeeeeal.html#post4622810)

Today the demolition crew arrived to start on the bathroom addition! Who hoo! They are demolishing a concrete patio today. Tucker and Bella are in DD's bedroom. They don't like it but are being quiet. I decided to spring for a Porta-Potty rental to minimize the disruption on them. The only working bathroom right now is the one in the room they are in.

From Tucker and Bella:
"These big machines make a lot of noise. Mom says it's a good thing but we don't like them. Mom is reeeeaaaallllly excited though."

Attachments

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm taking Bella to vet tomorrow to get a prescription for a sedative. I'm going to work with her while the construction is going on to see if she can get past some of her anxiety. She was very upset today by every little thing. My sweet anxiety-ridden fearful dog. The square shape in the picture is where my new bathroom will go. :D

From Bella: Those horrible noisy people finally went away! But they left some really interesting holes behind to smell. Mom took us to our favorite water hole and we had a swim! But she says we stink now. :no: "

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,907 Posts
Make the bathroom bigger! While you are digging and building why not?

:--big_grin:

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just read through your initial thread (I'm a bit behind the 8 ball) and I have to say, as a single mom myself, I admire your adventurous and courageous spirit. I'm approaching the retirement issue myself - where to go etc. It sounds like you are settling in. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
How wonderful! Hope your renovation goes more smoothly than ours - seven months and counting and still no kitchen. The porch that was torn off six months ago may not reappear until spring and who know when the master bathroom addition will be started. Hopefully Bella will adjust to the noise and confusion. Although after all this time Harry still hides when he sees the workers bring in the air compressor.

·
Murphy's Human, Kam
1,116 Posts
Now that the concrete is gone, I can see the bathroom will not be as huge as I thought. Keep in mind an easy way to bathe stinky, muddy goldens if your current bathroom will not do. Keep the photos coming.

Sadly after two baths, in as many days, I think I need a walk in shower in my garage for the dog. Forget the roof or the other projects. Hmmm.

Bella - I hear ice-cream is a good soother.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Make the bathroom bigger! While you are digging and building why not?

:--big_grin:
I would love to. :D But I have some limits on how many square feet I can add.. And we are right at the upper limit. But it will be very, very nice inside. Right next to it there will be a covered patio with French doors leading to my bedroom. :D:D:D

AND we are repurposing the broken concrete to make a pad for the RV. It will be off the side and not in front of the house, and I can use it as guest quarters. It will save me money too, not having the concrete hauled away and paying at the dump to dispose of it.

·
Super Moderator
16,920 Posts
How wonderful, it sounds like it's going to be great when it's all finished!

·
Super Moderator Leader
44,873 Posts
Your new bathroom and the other improvements you are making to your house sound wonderful. You are really going to enjoy it.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the progress.

How wonderful! Hope your renovation goes more smoothly than ours - seven months and counting and still no kitchen. The porch that was torn off six months ago may not reappear until spring and who know when the master bathroom addition will be started. Hopefully Bella will adjust to the noise and confusion. Although after all this time Harry still hides when he sees the workers bring in the air compressor.
On no, I am so sorry to hear things aren't going smoothly for you. I hope you'll be able to get them done sooner. You must have the patience of a Saint, I don't know how you do it.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Wow so much work and so many changes, you are doing fabulously. My kitchen took five months and there's still some tiling to be done! You have done all this!! Some friends of ours bought a house that needed everything ripping out, new windows, new kitchen and bathroom and as it turned out..all the internal walls! It was started after our kitchen was started and it's now complete! :yuck: In the meantime since the fitters have left, we have had two leaks upstairs that have come through to the new kitchen ceiling. So the decorating now begins again! :mad:
You are going to have an amazing home!

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
AND we are repurposing the broken concrete to make a pad for the RV. It will be off the side and not in front of the house, and I can use it as guest quarters. It will save me money too, not having the concrete hauled away and paying at the dump to dispose of it.
Wow how kind of you to think of us! We are off to look at flight tickets right away! :D ;)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now that the concrete is gone, I can see the bathroom will not be as huge as I thought. Keep in mind an easy way to bathe stinky, muddy goldens if your current bathroom will not do. Keep the photos coming.

Sadly after two baths, in as many days, I think I need a walk in shower in my garage for the dog. Forget the roof or the other projects. Hmmm.

Bella - I hear ice-cream is a good soother.
I am going to have a bath set up in the garage...putting in a utility sink there. Dogs will get baths there. And the entryway will be tiled for a mud room. :)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow so much work and so many changes, you are doing fabulously. My kitchen took five months and there's still some tiling to be done! You have done all this!! Some friends of ours bought a house that needed everything ripping out, new windows, new kitchen and bathroom and as it turned out..all the internal walls! It was started after our kitchen was started and it's now complete! :yuck: In the meantime since the fitters have left, we have had two leaks upstairs that have come through to the new kitchen ceiling. So the decorating now begins again! :mad:
You are going to have an amazing home!
Wow, you are really having a rough time of it. I hope my work doesn't go like that. It's taken them FOREVER to get started, but the contractor I'm working with has a good reputation for quality work and not padding expenses...hoping that good reputation extends to working steadily and getting things finished!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is the RV pad, under construction. They did a nice job of breaking up the concrete to make the barrier. It will be filled in with dirt. Then I have to get someone with a really big truck to reposition the RV for me. Right now it's smack dab in front of the house... I want to be able to look out the front door of my house without seeing an RV! LOL.

The dogs are all on edge, partly because it is exceedingly windy here today but mostly because of the extra noise and people on their turf. Haven't been able to find a place close by to take them where they can spend the day. Will just keep up with the treats and the like... hoping that helps them feel like the visitors are OK.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Day Two completed...

The dogs have been freed! They get so happy when the workmen go home and they can have their yard back. ;)

Photo one: boards in, trench dug (for extension to septic field) on new bathroom
Two: the backhoe and the trench
Three: Tucker loves to put his ball into places and then dig it out. He dug a fine hole here, didn't he? ;)
Four: It's been incredibly windy here... all the loose leaves have ended up in my breezeway! :doh:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
OW, you're really doing an admirable job on this huge project. You're doing it in chapters and you're involved in each step. That says a plethora of positives in your approach and it'll be evident in the finished product.
One day in the near future you're going to sit back and reap the rewards of your retirement.
Fantastic job!!!

·
Murphy's Human, Kam
1,116 Posts
It was very kind of you to dig holes and create giant dirt piles for me and Bella to play in. Almost makes up for being stuck inside while those noisy machines are here. Now we just need some rain to make it muddy and our joy will be complete. Tucker

1 - 20 of 128 Posts