Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think i am spoiling my pup too much but cant stop myself =/ i am even over spending my $$ buying him stuff.

he has been running free around the house since i got him (-__-) there are potty problems and had to clean up after him :doh::doh::doh: i still havent potty trained him, he doesnt listen to me and goes where ever he pleases. when i look at his face i go "daaaw shoooo cute <3" and forget i have to scold him!!:doh::doh::doh:

about the potty training...the worst part is i cant take him out to go for potty since i live in a very busy place, high traffic with many stray dogs. even the vets in my area advise owners not to take our pets out for walks and to be very careful due to the stray dog problems, there have been cases of rabies too. the drivers dont mind running over other's pets either. i often see pets being carried to the vet after a hit and run. i am seriously facing a big problem. there arent any grassy patches near my home either :( i checked out the parks nearby and they have painted "NO PETS ALLOWED". it sucks big time. :( sadly where i live is not "pet-friendly". i do have space for him to go potty but its turning out difficult to train him to go there.

i taught him something stupid without knowing....he pees where i point. all i have to do is point at an area and say "pee here" and he does it where i told him to. the same doesnt work for poop though. one of my friends said "thats a great thing you taught him, if someone pisses you off you can make him pee on him". (-__-) er....maybe this trick will come handy in future.

i finally got a good large crate for him. but the problem is i have never crate trained any of my previous dogs....anyway....the crate is big enough for me to enter lol....so there i was sitting INSIDE the crate with Yuki playing together. (-__-) guess i am stupid but i found it fun to sit in the crate with my pup lol

i went on a spending spree and bought 2 more new toys and my lil pup chewed them up! i also bought a lot of stuff like shampoo, treats, harness, leash and 3 bags (each bag is 6 lbs) of puppy food. (-__-) my parents scolded me for over spending.

he chewed up my mom's footwear so i had to buy her a new pair. but he doesnt seem to chew my footwear to bits :D he seems to care for my stuff. whether its my clothes or footwear or anything he tends to sleep over them but not rip them or bite them. i think he cares about me in his own lil way.

i know i have to stop but i cant stop myself from loving my baby i seriously have a puppy-love-sickness.

:( i taught him some bad habits i think....
he stands on his hind legs and whines for me carry him around....this is my fault :doh:
he pounces on me or grabs my skirt/pants and pulls at it so that he can sit on my lap.....my fault again :doh:
he likes licking and chewing my ear...:doh: it **** ticklish and i end laughing and screaming instead of scolding him:doh:

the good thing is he doesnt bite me anymore. he does nip me sometimes when he is pulling at my clothes for attention, when i dont respond he lets go and sleeps on my feet making it hard for me to move.

he has learnt not to enter my room or any room when i say so. he has learned to "sit" "stay" "stop" "jump" and "give". when i say "give" he drops the ball or whatever he is holding in his mouth and looks at me. he has even learned how to fetch the ball and loves playing fetch with me :D he is learning really well and i dont even need to give him treats all the time to teach him something.

=/ when ever he needs something or finds something...he comes running to me and barks.

he doesnt treat my mom like he treats me....he doesnt go near my mom either. well my mom dislikes being close to dogs/cats so its a given and she keeps scolding me for being so close with my pup. she said "i will throw you and your pup out if keep on being this lovey-dovey. treat the dog like a dog you moron". mom even yells at my pup for no reason and screams when he gets close to her.

:( well....i am happy with my pup and i know i am at fault for somethings....i do realize this...but at the same time i love my pup a lot. he means the whole world to me.

i know i am over doing some things, i would like opinion from others. am i the only one who is this way? my relationship with my pup...i am wondering how others would describe it. i see him as my own kid and not as a "dog". Also do i need to fix myself? :( before its too late i would like to correct myself so please give me your opinions.

P.S...about the potty problem, please dont tell me to give up my pup cuz of it :--sad:

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
You need to establish some rules and boundaries with your dog before he grows up to be a 75 lb monster.

You say you've taught him to urinate when you point. What's stopping you from teaching him to do that outside? You say you have an area for him to potty on. Take him outside, point at that spot, and command him to go. Praise him with love and treats when he goes. Use a command like "Go potty" or "Do your business." He's young, so I would think you probably need to take him out every 30 minutes. He won't run risk of being hit by a car if you have him on a leash.

Don't pick him up when he begs for it. Will you be able to pick up a 75lb dog? Ignore him when he acts like that and he will learn that it's not rewarding behavior.

It sounds like you've worked on training him a variety of commands, which is really great. Now you need to work on establishing boundaries with your dog. You need to remember that he's not always going to be a little puppy. Also, you're not doing yourself any favors with your parents by being so permissive with your puppy, especially if your mother already doesn't like dogs.

I understand feeling like your dog is your kid, and I also understand being somewhat permissive with your dog. I know I allow Flora to do things she shouldn't do. For example, although I don't remember doing this, I must have positively rewarded her when she was a puppy for acting like a complete bimbo when she greets people. Now, she's all grown up and she STILL acts that way. It makes things difficult when she's greeting children and older people, because she tries to jump all over them and just completely misbehaves. You don't want your dog acting that way!

It sounds like your dog has learned a variety of bad behaviors because you reward him positively for them (i.e. jumping, barking, biting you). You need to stop rewarding him for those behaviors and redirect him. When he barks at you or jumps on you, turn your back on him. When he stops barking and behaves nicely, turn back around and praise him.

Good luck!!

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i do need to.

nothing is stopping me from making him do it outside. problem is when i am out running errands or am sleeping, he doesnt listen to my mom when she takes him out. mom says its my fault :( that the pup doesnt listen to her. if i am busy for a day and he is under my mom's care....he wont listen to me or my mom for 2-3 days...he acts a bit rebellious. when i am always around and paying attention to his movements he acts like an angel and everything is fine. his rebellious behavior towards my mom is causing potty problems and training is not going well. :(

i will start working on establishing boundaries starting from today. he is already 16.4 lbs and 13-14 inches tall (couldnt measure accurately cuz he was moving too much). he isnt "chubby" or "fluffy", he looks thin =/ if that makes any sense. i make him run around and exercise everyday. the vet told me he will grow a lot. I have already stopped picking him up a lot or letting him sit on my lap and ignoring him 60% of the time since past week. i think he will be over 75 lbs...more like 80-90 lbs when her grows up.

more than the pup...i am at fault for his behavior. its kinda hard for me to hold myself back :doh::doh::doh: but i am gonna do it. i want my pup to be the best dog not a spoiled brat.

i just want to talk about it with others and get their opinions so i can set my mind on right track. :)

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
I think you're doing okay. :) You've taught him a lot and he's still very young, you both are learning stuff every day, and you're going to make mistakes. Just keep learning and teaching the puppy and I think it's gonna turn out great.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
yes i do need to.

nothing is stopping me from making him do it outside. problem is when i am out running errands or am sleeping, he doesnt listen to my mom when she takes him out. mom says its my fault :( that the pup doesnt listen to her. if i am busy for a day and he is under my mom's care....he wont listen to me or my mom for 2-3 days...he acts a bit rebellious. when i am always around and paying attention to his movements he acts like an angel and everything is fine. his rebellious behavior towards my mom is causing potty problems and training is not going well. :(

i will start working on establishing boundaries starting from today. he is already 16.4 lbs and 13-14 inches tall (couldnt measure accurately cuz he was moving too much). he isnt "chubby" or "fluffy", he looks thin =/ if that makes any sense. i make him run around and exercise everyday. the vet told me he will grow a lot. I have already stopped picking him up a lot or letting him sit on my lap and ignoring him 60% of the time since past week. i think he will be over 75 lbs...more like 80-90 lbs when her grows up.

more than the pup...i am at fault for his behavior. its kinda hard for me to hold myself back :doh::doh::doh: but i am gonna do it. i want my pup to be the best dog not a spoiled brat.

i just want to talk about it with others and get their opinions so i can set my mind on right track. :)
As others have said, he is too young to be completely potty trained, but you absolutely should make an effort to start training him that outside is the appropriate place to go potty. He's not too young for that.

The fact that you've taught him a bunch of commands already is very impressive in my opinion. Keep up with that as well as decreasing the rewards you give him for his unwanted behavior and I think he'll grow up to be a good boy. :)

·
Kate
21,657 Posts
Hmmm... I think your mom would freak out about the mother-child bond I have with my furry baby boy. :D

About the potty training - your dog can't be running loose around the house until he is potty trained. It may help your mom's perception of him if the accidents stop and you get firm with yourself about making sure he's either contained to a small potty safe room (a room he won't go potty in, or a room where it is very easy to clean up if he DOES go potty) or on leash and monitored at all times in the house.

As he gets older and starts to connect potty with being outside + your house smells less like urine to him, the potty training will get easier. But keep in mind that some dogs shouldn't be considered completely reliable unless it's been 2 or 3 months since the last accident.

One suggestion I have is if you can make a litter box area outside. I don't remember if you were taking him out on a balcony? Something that is easily cleaned up. This could be a box of dirt even or wood shavings. The problem I have about dogs going in gravel or on cement is the smell gets pretty bad since the urine doesn't go anywhere. We were at a building where all the dogs were marking the gutter spout near the door, and the ammonia odor was thick.

And teach potty commands that your mom can use when you aren't home. For our guy "go potty" or "hurry up" means pee and "go poopy" reminds him to find a spot and poop. <- Yes, it's embarrassing repeating "go poop" if you are around other people, but if it means your dog immediately starts hunting down a spot, they are usually impressed. ;)

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone :) for your opinions it helped me ease my mind. :D i did teach him too much for his age but i was only able to do it cuz the pup is pretty smart himself. he knows the difference between sounds and toys. i noticed his intelligence level is pretty good. i am so proud of my pup and very happy that he is learning well <3 more than me teaching him, whats impressive is his own learning ability. :)

=/ i like the idea of making a litter box for him to use. that would help me a lot, seriously. guess i will make one for him to use and train him to use it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts