Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a bad bad evening. Buddy was completely fine in the morning and afternoon. But since 1-1.5 hours he has vomited about 4-5 times. First it was undigested food, then water and bile. I am so worried.

I am totally sure that he has eaten nothing that he shouldn't have. I had called the vet and he has precribed some meds. This is the first time that I am facing such a thing. Buddy is 11 months old but has never has had diarrhoea or thrown up more than once. Now he is acting all droopy and sleepy.

I am hoping and praying hard that he gets better soon. The house is just not the same without my darling running around and making a fool of himself.
 

·
Missing Selka So Much
Joined
·
17,303 Posts
What meds did the vet prescribe? If he continues vomiting, take him in to be seen. Sending good thoughts!
 

·
Dog Lover
Joined
·
42,038 Posts
Buddy

I would take Buddy into the vet. You definitely want to rule out Parvo.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,413 Posts
It is more likely he did eat something he shouldn't have. They can be pretty sneaky. If he is still throwing up I would take him in.
 

·
Dog Lover
Joined
·
42,038 Posts
Orchid

Orchid

I would ask the vet about the parvo. Hopefully, he just ate something that didn't agree with him. I would take him in if he continues to throw up.
They can become dehydrated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, he is sleeping now. Still a little restless but resting. Hoping for the best. I am in constant contact with his vet and will take him in as soon as he says to. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Oh yes! These little idiots can be incredibly sneaky. Little geniuses they are...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, and I am making sure that he drinks some water some time apart. That is okay to do, I guess? I thought that this would stop him from getting dehydrated.
 

·
Kye & Coops Mom
Joined
·
4,466 Posts
Depending on when your boy had his vaccinations Parvo could/should/might be considered, but would feel like it was something he ate. So many mushrooms are coming up all over, bad stuff people are throwing away from Thanksgiving, just more things are out there than I can think of. I give mine ice-cubes to keep water in them, but please do not hesitate to take him in if it keeps up. So many things are very easily treated with early care. Let us know how he does.
 

·
Chelsea
Joined
·
842 Posts
Sadie had the same thing last week. She woke up and was fine. She threw up a little bit before I fed her. Then she threw up all her food, and then she puked several times the water and bile. She must have thew up several cups of water thoughout the day. I just gave her a couple dry biscut treats thoughout the day. She was acting fine though, so I waited. Next day she was back to normal.

Hope Buddy feels better soon!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33,267 Posts
Penny had this once. It was an intestinal virus. If you have some plain yogurt, you could try that. Definitely check with the vet. Pups can get dehydrated very quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all your wishes. The vet is thinking about starting IVs. Buddy is all sluggish, he hasn't vomited much but he is unable to keep anything in. As long as he stays away from food or water, there is no vomiting. i hope he gets better. All your replies helped me calm down a bit. Thank you. I will keep you posted.
 

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
Joined
·
5,624 Posts
Sending good thoughts and prayers for Buddy. Glad you are in contact with the vet.
 

·
In the Moment
Joined
·
20,515 Posts
Lots of good healing thoughts and prayers coming for Buddy. Please keep us posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,245 Posts
I'm glad you took him to the vets. The iv fluids will help re-energize him. They dehydrate so quickly. I hope he recovers quickly and is back with you soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Bella experienced something when she was younger. She had a virus. We gave her some pepto and watched her. Gave her rice the next day, and she was fine after that. She did have explosive diarrhea too (poor baby). It even scared her when it was exiting her body :(

Hope your babe gets better soon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, i am glad that Buddy is not having to face diarrhea at least. My poor baby is looking so down and exhausted. Thank you for all your prayers and well-wishes. They mean a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
try giving him white rice. my old dog, used to eat every thing under the sun. when he would get to vomiting all the time we would feed him a little bit of white rice (not to much it will expand in the stomach) and that would settle the tummy.
hope your guy is ok. hopefully this will pass.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,788 Posts

·
I miss my Buddy
Joined
·
11,534 Posts
Sending prayers and healing thoughts for sweet Buddy.
 
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Top