Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bad leg and walking My 6.5 month old has been good for me to get out and do something.

We have had a lot of problems with off leash dogs, dogs loose in their yards or like today, someone walking a very large dog with no control and had to let go of the leash letting it charge full speed at us. I was screaming at the lady asking if he was friendly as Molly was trying to get away and run.
I walk molly on a 24" leash so she is right next to me. She doesn't bark at other dogs and barely looks at them in passing as I'm trying to train her to pay attention to me as we walk.
Luckily for us, all dogs we have encountered have been friendly but that doesnt stop Molly from panicking and trying to slip out to get away. What happens when we encounter one that isn't nice?
There is one block I stay away from as a dog did attack my old girl . My husband had steel toed boots on and it only got a snarl in and attempted a bite before hubby took care if it. I am not agile enough to kick at a dog.
Walking her needs to be done early as the heat sets in around 8 am.

She isnt in heat, we have decided to let her go into heat but with all these loose dogs, hubs is talking about a cattle prod just for taking her potty in the back yard.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
We don't have many loose dogs in my city. It's not a big problem for me. But it has happened over the years. I always carry some sort of pepper spray just in case. I'll protect my dogs.

We never walk our girls when they are in season. Ever. Our backyard is fenced in with a 6' wood fence and they are never left alone out there either. Living in the city, it's too risky. Even though (it seems) most people around here have 6' fences (by local ordinance can't be taller), some dogs can easily get over one if it senses a female in heat. Our Mr. B (5 year old male intact) can get over a 6' fence.

There are two big GSD's in the neighborhood that go nuts when I walk by. Scares me...

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We don't have many loose dogs in my city. It's not a big problem for me. But it has happened over the years. I always carry some sort of pepper spray just in case. I'll protect my dogs.

We never walk our girls when they are in season. Ever. Our backyard is fenced in with a 6' wood fence and they are never left alone out there either. Living in the city, it's too risky. Even though (it seems) most people around here have 6' fences (by local ordinance can't be taller), some dogs can easily get over one if it senses a female in heat. Our Mr. B (5 year old male intact) can get over a 6' fence.

There are two big GSD's in the neighborhood that go nuts when I walk by. Scares me...
It is terrifying to see that large of a dog come running at you.

We don't have a fenced back yard and it would take a lot of removal of shrubs and trees to follow our towns ordinances to get one. We didn't plan on allowing her to have a cycle as we planned on spaying her at 6 months. I really want to wait until after one cycle at least. Unfortunately it will be keeping her inside for that month. I do have a mother with a 4' fence who is keeping her for 2 weeks in September. We are hoping she doesnt cycle then and my daughter has a 6' fence. Both live 30miles from me . I wish we lived in the same town so I could just exercise her easily in their yards.

Right now the pepper spray and cattle prod idea is looking like a good idea for just normal walking

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With my dogs, I'd get them in the car and drive to somewhere else to walk.
It would be a good idea in theory but we live in a small town. I would be driving to another small town or to a dirt road.
Farm dogs would be just as big of a threat

·
Registered
837 Posts
It would be a good idea in theory but we live in a small town. I would be driving to another small town or to a dirt road.
I live on a farm. My family farm and am surrounded by family members for neighbors. The only person we have in the area that has a dog that’s an issue is a psychiatrist that moved here from NYC to live in the country. He owns 1/4 of an acre and walks up and down the roads with his dog following in front of or behind him. Sometimes the dog is 1/2 mile from him and he just keeps walking. He’s been asked more then once to put it on a leash and he will not. It caused a motorcycle accident last summer and he still lets it roam free. It is annoying beyond belief to have a 15 acre yard and have to watch out for his dog every time I go to walk outside.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live on a farm. My family farm and am surrounded by family members for neighbors. The only person we have in the area that has a dog that’s an issue is a psychiatrist that moved here from NYC to live in the country. He owns 1/4 of an acre and walks up and down the roads with his dog following in front of or behind him. Sometimes the dog is 1/2 mile from him and he just keeps walking. He’s been asked more then once to put it on a leash and he will not. It caused a motorcycle accident last summer and he still lets it roam free. It is annoying beyond belief to have a 15 acre yard and have to watch out for his dog every time I go to walk outside.
Dogs at large are so annoying.
I love dogs but not dogs I dont know running full speed at me and my pup.
I'm so frustrated. I could drive 30 miles to a bike path every day but there is no saying that dogs will be leashed there either.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,136 Posts
Have you contacted Animal Control?

Most cities have leash laws and owners can be fined if their dogs are running loose.
Call them may help prevent anything happening to you or your girl.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you contacted Animal Control?

Most cities have leash laws and owners can be fined if their dogs are running loose.
Call them may help prevent anything happening to you or your girl.
We have leash laws.
Animal control is our local police. We have two full time officers and 1 part time. A warning to the owner is about all that happens.
This town is not big on allowing fences so it isnt uncommon to have a dog just let out the door to potty. As a matter of fact, my old girl used to go out on her own, but never once left the yard like these dogs do.
Someone should be able to walk their leashed dog without having to worry about other dogs. We have eve taken to walking in the street as some leashed dogs can reach the sidewalks.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,136 Posts
I agree, I've had some dogs come running at me and my old guy when I've been out walking.
Dogs I had no idea even lived on my street.

I live in a tourist area, most of the homes on my street are full time residences, others are weekend and summer homes for other owners.

·
Kristy
9,477 Posts
I have been researching and found stun sticks. They are legal here. I read they make a big popping noise so that in itself might be a deterrent
I'd have a lanyard around my neck with a big can of bear spray on it or go the stun gun route. Protect your dog and yourself.

·
Puddles
3,942 Posts
I have been researching and found stun sticks. They are legal here. I read they make a big popping noise so that in itself might be a deterrent
I was just about to suggest a cattle prod! As a dog walker with as many as 8 or 10 dogs of various sizes in tow an off leash dog really created issues. I had a small mace dispenser on my belt but never had to use it.
Most of the time all I had to do was ignore and keep walking... a good eye stare down telling them to back off was sufficient. Most of them just want to play but if you and your pup ignore and keep going they get the message that you aren't interested.
Regardless of what protection you use it's important for you to remain calm so your pup learns to trust that you have this situation under control. If you get flustered, paniced or anxious your pup picks up on this. So if you know which ones are friendly, teach your pup to remain focused on you and keep walking. Eventually the strays realize you are no fun and will leave you alone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a bad leg and walking My 6.5 month old has been good for me to get out and do something.

We have had a lot of problems with off leash dogs, dogs loose in their yards or like today, someone walking a very large dog with no control and had to let go of the leash letting it charge full speed at us. I was screaming at the lady asking if he was friendly as Molly was trying to get away and run.
I walk molly on a 24" leash so she is right next to me. She doesn't bark at other dogs and barely looks at them in passing as I'm trying to train her to pay attention to me as we walk.
Luckily for us, all dogs we have encountered have been friendly but that doesnt stop Molly from panicking and trying to slip out to get away. What happens when we encounter one that isn't nice?
There is one block I stay away from as a dog did attack my old girl . My husband had steel toed boots on and it only got a snarl in and attempted a bite before hubby took care if it. I am not agile enough to kick at a dog.
Walking her needs to be done early as the heat sets in around 8 am.

She isnt in heat, we have decided to let her go into heat but with all these loose dogs, hubs is talking about a cattle prod just for taking her potty in the back yard.
Loose and uncontrolled dogs are a problem everywhere and in my neighborhood too. I always carry citronella dog repellent when I walk my dog. We stopped walking our dogs in the Cleveland Metroparks because of people being idiots with their dogs. The rangers won’t do anything to enforce the leash law.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Loose and uncontrolled dogs are a problem everywhere and in my neighborhood too. I always carry citronella dog repellent when I walk my dog. We stopped walking our dogs in the Cleveland Metroparks because of people being idiots with their dogs. The rangers won’t do anything to enforce the leash law.
We are ordering a stun baton . It's a stun gun but about 18 inches long.
The say thepopping noise usually deters them before needing to actually use it.
I will use it if needed

·
Registered
37 Posts
I take my dog in the car and go to a river. Everyone in my neighborhood seems to be walking their dogs, mostly small ones. I also get him a summer haircut and I swear he loves it. Very short, yellow lab short.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I take my dog in the car and go to a river. Everyone in my neighborhood seems to be walking their dogs, mostly small ones. I also get him a summer haircut and I swear he loves it. Very short, yellow lab short.
I live in a tiny town in Iowa.
I have hours to drive for a nice river lol.

I'm irritated, mainly because anyone should be able to walk their dog without an unleashed dog being an issue.
Other people walking their dogs would be fine if they are leashed and controlled

·
Registered
37 Posts
I live in a tiny town in Iowa.
I have hours to drive for a nice river lol.

I'm irritated, mainly because anyone should be able to walk their dog without an unleashed dog being an issue.
Other people walking their dogs would be fine if they are leashed and controlled
Agree!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts