Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
3 goldens
11,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE OTHER NIGHT I WAS WWATCHING THE MILITARY STATION, A STORY ON THE ENOLA GAY (THE PLANE THAT DROPPED "THE BOMB" AND IT'S CREW. NOT SURE WHEN IT WAS FILMED, BUT AT THE TIME ONLY ONE OF THE 12 CREW MEMBES WAS STILL ALIVE AND HE WAS OLD, OLD, OLD.

ANWAY, HE WAS SAYING HOW LITTLE THE SCHOOL KIDS AND YOUNG ADULTS KNOW ABOUT WWII TODAY AS VERY, VERY LITTLE IS TAUGHT IN SCHOOLS. I HAD READ A FEW YEARS AGO THT MANY TEENS HAD NOT IDEA WHERE PEARL HARBOR IS, NO IDEA OF WHT HAPPENED THERE.

hE SAID HE WAS TO GIVE A TALK AT THIS ONE HIGH SCHOOL AND A KID ASKED HIM IF HE WAS THE GUY WHO WAS GOING TO TALK ABOUT WORLD WAR ELEVEN! SEEING AS HOW I WAS BORN DURING WORLD WAR 2, I SHOULD REMEMBER WORLD WARS THREE THRU ELEVEN, WOULDN'T YOU THINK i MEAN, I WOULD THINK EVERYONE WOULD NOW WWI WAS WORLD WAR ONE AND WWII WAS WORLD WAR TWO, AND NOT WORLD WAR ELEVEN.

I FIND IT SO SAD THAT THE MEN ADN WOMEN OF MY DAD'S GENERATION GAVE THIER ALL FOR 4 YEARS (DADDY SERVED IN THE PACIFFIC FOR 3 1/2 YEARS), TO KEEP THIS COUNTRY FREE, AND TO PREVENT ENGLAND AND AUSTRALIA FROM BING TAKEN OVER, AND TO FREE FRANCE, POLAND, AND ALL THOSE OTHER COUNTRIES....AND SO THE YOUTH OF TODAY DOES NOT EVEN KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT IT TO PUT IN A THIMBLE HAD NOT THOSE PEOPLE DID WHAT THEY DID ALL THOSE YEARS AGO--WE COULD ALL BE SPEAKING JAPANESE OR GERMAN TODAY!

IT IS A SHAMEFUL THING TO FORGET WHAT WAS DONE FOR THIS COUNTRY BY ALL THOSE MEN AND WOMEN, TO NOT TEACH THE YOUNG PEOPLE ABOUT IT.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
But if you ask them about Kim kardashian or jay z and beyonce. They know everything.
I wonder if our parents felt that way about us???????????
Beth, moose and angel

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
I just asked my son some questions and I'm happy to say he knew them all, even what the Enola Gay was. Now we do live in a military town and he's an army brat, but... I felt good that he did know all he did.

·
3 goldens
11,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 12 year old grandson is a military history buff, and i am proud to sy he knows sp much about the history o what made this country. A year ago we took him toe nimitz muuseum up in frekericksburg and he was thrilled to actually see much of the stuff for real tht he had watched on the military and history stations, including one of the very, very few remaining pt boats. He could actually identify many of the guns, uniforms, etc before we could read about them.

And when he sees a person wering a militray cap, be it wwii, korean, viet nam, etc, he always shakes their hand and thanks them. This makes me so proud.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
But if you ask them about Kim kardashian or jay z and beyonce. They know everything.
I wonder if our parents felt that way about us???????????
Beth, moose and angel
When our daughter was in elementary school she was doing a report on Betsy Ross. This was back before google, and on-line encyclopedias came pre-loaded or bought on CD. She couldn't find anything on Betsy Ross, only Diana Ross. :doh:

Students now days not knowing anything about WWII doesn't surprise me.

·
3 goldens
11,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is sad isn't it that the real heroes like all the men adn women who gave so much for this country have been replaced with micheal jackson, elvis, selena, and various sports figures who get rich doing what they love to do.

·
Registered
525 Posts
My dad was a medic w/the 3rd Army during WWII. He went into Hiroshima after it was declared "safe" to assist the remaining victims of the bomb. There are no pictures of the people he cared for, and he would never talk about it. The pics in the album only show the rubble and devastation that remained. My dad considered himself as "just a guy doing his job".

I'm glad there are new documentaries out about WWII, the atrocities that occurred, and our "heroes" lest we, and our future generations, forget about their sacrifices.

It's a shame that our children have a very distorted concept of what a "hero" really is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts