Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has a friend who's mom is a little more than an aquaintance but not exactly my friend. They moved about an hour and a half away from here about a year ago. They still keep in touch and sometimes visit here.

Well, the mom and her boyfriend brought daughter over last night so we did some catching up. We came to find out that they have 8 dogs! She told my hubster and I that they just got a few more reservation (indian reserve) puppies this holiday, bringing her total to 8 dogs. I also learned that only 2 of the dogs are allowed inside, so 6 of them are stuck outside in the cold. She said they are chained up outside and some of them have a what she called a kennel. I came to find out that it's a fenced area about 8X13 and from what I understood, it has no ceiling so I'm picturing an area unprotected from the elements.

When they left and hubster and I went to bed, we started talking about this. We are thinking that she's hoarding animals (she has always had a "zoo" since we've known her). Those animals that she has always seem to come to some untimely end as well. They used to have cats that they didn't fix and always had pups and kittens. Well it seems that one of the cats made its way into one of the "kennels" which is 7 feet high and was killed. The boyfriend called it "natural selection" GRRR!

So this morning, my daughter received a phone call from her friend's sister, asking for her sister who had slept over and was in the shower. It seems that once again one of their "pets" has come to an untimely death. The pup (apparently it's still a puppy) was on a chain and had tangled itself around the tire of one of the vans that sits in their yard. I guess in his foot was stuck and he had tried to chew his leg off and in his panic strangled himself on the chain. I'm feeling sooo sad and angry right now.

This woman and her family should not be allowed to have pets. She doesn't get them fixed or care for them properly... although she feeds them well.

·
<---- Andy Farmer!
5,885 Posts
Now there's a 'downer' of a story preceeding a new years celebration. I feel horrible for those animals, regardless if they eat well or not. They deserve better is right. So sad....

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
You have every right to be livid- that is unacceptable. Perhaps an anonymous call to animal control is in order- that way if there is neglect involved with all those animals, something can be done about it.

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,617 Posts
Call the Humane Society or at least the police! I get really angry and upset when I hear stories like this.... please do something.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would love to contact somebody... problem is, I only know the town she lives in. It seems that the Humane Society already know that she keeps lots of pets because the mom explained that "Because of what *I do*, the humane society agreed to have my animals all spayed and neutered for free". What? Does the humane society think she's a rescuer??? The spaying and neutering issue came up when I said "What? Don't they know what Spay and Neuter is on the Reserve?" I made no effort to hide my displeasure.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
What a sad story... I think I'd be very uncomfortable having this person even in my house.

My best friend's husband had their black labrador mate with the neighbour's lab and kept one of the resulting puppies. This pup is almost a year now, has already been impregnated by her father:doh: and had to have a contraceptive injection at the vets, came into season again, and they still hadn't had the male castrated :doh: they eventually had him done it's a small miracle that they didn't have a disaster. Anyway, the point I'm really trying to make is they NEVER take the dogs out! To be fair to my friend she never wanted the dogs in the first place, it was her husband's idea... he lost interest and quite frankly abuses the dogs (screams and shouts at them!) I try to block it out of my head because it upsets me so much, and I've not been visiting so much lately.

We used to meet and walk on a Sunday morning, but this didn't last. Bearing in mind I felt so bad tonight when I visited them that I hadn't taken mine out for their second walk of the day (its -4 degrees tonight) but when I came home my husband had taken them :) These dogs probably haven't been taken out for at least 6 - 8 weeks!

They're having a large extension built also, so dust and rubble everywhere - sad neglected unloved dogs... I hate it!!!

Sorry about the rant!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Do you or your daughter have this persons phone number? Can you do a reverse search on the phone number, to find out where they live? Im not sure if in your area you have a limit on the number of dogs you can have...in my area it is 3. But, the conditions you have described I would be calling Animal Control.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Somebody here knows someone who's connected with the SPCA in my city. She's going to help me out with this. Since I live so far away, it's kind of hard to steal the dogs away.... besides, I'd prefer that the authorities took care of it since it might stop her from collecting more pets.

I completely agree... something needs to be done, unfortunately I'm kind of going on hearsay and the humane society can only work with witnesses :(

I haven't stopped thinking about that poor pup all day, and the other poor animals that are in her "care".

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
I took a beagle pup this past winter from my neighbors. I felt so bad for this poor pup I just went over and got it. After a lot of thinking I knew I had to give it back, but to my surprise the neighbor's seen my point about the pup being out in the cold and started to take it in the house.
Good luck

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Please contact animal control or whoever handles that in that area! These animals need your help!

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
Usually you can make an "Anonamous" calland simply report the hoarding and abuse/death of the puppy. Let the ASPCA handle the rest once they have the "anon" report. I wish you luck, its such a disheartening situation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts