Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
3 goldens
11,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hubby was in yesterday and we took Buck for the 1 1/2 mile walk. Well, we turned off 4th onto Greenbriar, got about half way to the end (it dead ends into 6th. don't knw where 5th got lost) and a woman was out in her front yard with a dog tht looked a lot lot a snauzzie. Well, here comes that dog running and barking at us and she is hollering "Pepper, get back here, come here Pepper, no Pepper. She finally gets hold of it and we hurry on our way. Got down 6th and turn on Poinsettia (it also dead ends into 6th) and a little yipper dog dog comes under a fence and runs up all bristled up and barking at Buck. We are trying to shoo it off and I notice a German Shepherd barking and jumping up at the gate in another yard. The houses all have huge yards and do sit back from the almost one lane street (is really narrow. and the yards are full of live oak trees.Just about time time I told hubby I thought that shepherd could get over the fence---it did and came charging out towards us with a kid running behind it yelling "Jackson, stop." I thought he and Buck were going to rumble, Buck would not back down. All the snarling, etc. The kid got hold of him and led him off.
THEN a rat terrier, about half grown runs out. But she is all tail wags and just wants to be friendly. But by then we were not so sure Buck would want to be friendly as this was the 4th dog to run out at him. It took some doing, but I shooed her back.
These back streets have no sidewalks, very little traffic and we are walking Buck on a leash in the middle of the little narrow streets. I think it is a sad affair when in that short distance, 4 dogs run at him, 3 acting like they want to take him on, and only the little rat terrier pup acting like she just wants to play. We had not walked him for a while because of that Pit Bull getting after him a few weeks ago, but we have not seen it out, so started again. Now i am almost scared to walk him again.

The little yipper dog (couldn't tell what breed it was, probably a mix) would not have been a problem Buck could have shaken it to death, but i would hate that. The Snauzzer looking dog was a good size and that would have been a fight, and the shephered probably could have either killed or badly hurt my almost 12 year old golden retriever. And the little rat terrier was not threat, but we was worried Buck may have just had his fill of dogs running at him and grab her and hurt her. Why in the world don't people make sure their dogs are inside a fenced yard (that is adequate) or house, not only for the safety of dogs being walked, but also for their own safety from bigger dogs, cars, etc. :confused: :confused:

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
This is the reason I ALWAYS carry either pepper spray or mace with me on our walks..... Some people are just stupid and shouldnt even own a dog....

·
Registered
345 Posts
The pepper spray is a great idea - think I will have to start doing that. I'm sorry Buck had to deal with all those bullies. :no: It's hard to deal with people who are so totally irresponsible. I noticed a lot this summer I would be the only parent in the pool with a ton of kids. The other parents would be on cell phones, paying not a bit of attention to their little ones. It's difficult to be responsible for your own child (or dog) when others do things like that, but I'm glad Buck is ok.

·
Registered
345 Posts
3goldens - I just noticed you are in Texas. Me too. :) It seems like people here leave their dogs out a lot more than anywhere I've ever lived. I grew up with a Navy Dad, so I've lived a ton of places and never seen a place with more "outdoor" dogs in my life. When I take Marley out on walks dogs all up and down the street go nuts. Luckily the fences are new and so we haven't had a run in yet, but it does worry me. They don't sound like little dogs and if Marley ever came face to face with a dog that didn't want to play, I don't know what he'd do.

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
I have that very same problem! There are so many 'at large' dogs here--especially pits. Another reason to keep my dogs at a heel the whole time we are walking.

I do not leave the house to walk the dogs without my cell phone.

I got mad enough once at being chased by at large dogs that I wheeled around with my dogs and yelled....lol...(my neighbors fell down laughing) "oh tie a knot in your wiener and GO HOME" The dog stopped in his tracks and looked at me like I was nuts--but it left.

Cell phone and pepper spray/mace.

When I walk past a yard like that--I only look at those dogs out of the corner of my eye--and just walk by like I am king. It took a bunch of work to get Woody to ignore them. If one runs up behind me--I turn around and challenge it head on.

I know it is sad, very sad to have to do that. I think when they see me, Julie and Woody coming at them full force they change their mind.

All this being said, the worst thing you can do when a dog is chasing you is run.

I know--I really do--and it sucks.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I know - that is an extremely aggravating situation. We had somewhat of the same problem when we lived in town. Not horrible like your situation where you encountered 4 dogs all in the same walk. I would have given up after 2 I think. Buffy has been attacked 4 times by different dogs but that was over a span of 4 years. By attacked I don't mean seriously harmed, just a rumble, but enough to scare her and I to death. After that I started carrying pepper spray with me at all times. Haven't had to use it yet but I definitely feel more secure knowing that I have it. Now that we're in the country we don't have a problem at all but I still bring the pepper spray cause you just never know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a neighbor who doesn't keep track of her lab and it makes me nuts. One night when I came home it was sitting in front of my house, I thought it was lost and when I approached it acted aggresive. It has charged up to me and my mutt twice, but did not attack, my mutt is very protective of me and I'm sure one of us could have been hurt. I almost fainted when I was walking my golden pup and here comes the lab again. I went down there and let her have a piece of my mind. I was truly afraid for my pup at that point she was only 9 weeks old. I think the pup situation finally made the owner nervous. Her little girl saw us walking and apologized. That was akward...lol:) I haven't had a problem in months and now Grace is bigger, but I would NEVER allow my dogs free reign on a city street!!! or any other kind of street. I feel your pain me and my older dog have been in many similar situations, but not quite so frequent as yours.

·
3 goldens
11,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our county is full of small towns and i don't think we have a city dog catch, just county dog catchers that have to cover all the small towns So I don't thinkg he/they would be much help. I have about decided to resort of mace or pepper spray or whatever.. my old man needs these walks as it is the only real exercise he gets and his muscles have gotten "thin" and i am tryng to build them up some. I had hoped to increase or walks to 2 miles by Christmas. I use to do 4 miles every day until i developed nerve problems in my feet--even KayCee licking the top of my foot is uncomforable. I can't walk barefooted on grass or sidewalk, and even our carpet is uncomfortable to my feet. Wearing shoes is uncomfortable--sort a no win situation--but i need the exercise and so does Buck.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Ahhh 3 Goldens, sounds so much like my neighborhood. And I know what you mean about animal control in small towns. When I lived just outside of Tulsa, animal control was a cop putting a bullit in a poor dogs head. Geeze. And if the animals had owners....forget it.

You have motivated me to start calling what recourses I have now that I'm in town.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts